SP's Russian problem child shopping trolley

SP450andLE

I thought that I might as well chuck a thread up on here about my Lada, seeing as how so many of you fellows enjoy getting dirty.

So basically, it’s a standard 1990 Lada Niva. It’s been treated real rough over the years, and has even had the engine changed to one from an old Lada saloon (exact same 1.6). But, for some reason, it’s had a 1.7 Niva carby chucked on top, with custom accelerator cable linkages, and blocked off vacuum thingies for added zoom? It does seem to go pretty good, so I’m not complaining.

To sum up my ownership of it thus far, I’ll use two words: Problem Child.

New front discs and pads, and (twice) rebuilt MC has not solved the lack of brakes.

Rebuilt clutch MC has not solved leaking/seizing MC.

Hammer has not solved battery not charging.

I’m now in the process of doing a high-mount alty swap, so i’ll close with some pics of that, and other assorted things for your viewing pleasure...

P1000533.jpg

P1000532.jpg

P1000530.jpg

P1000529.jpg

DSC02409-2.jpg

DSC02018.jpg

FQYugnGO0dg

More vids here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SP450andLE

More pics here: http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... ?start=all

I decided to remake the bottom mount. The previous one was a total bodge job, and would make the alignment go out of whack whenever I tightened the belt :lol:

So, half way there, this is what the bottom mount looks like:

P1000540.jpg

Please excuse the horrible welds, Lincooln's welder is gasless, and I'm still learning! :oops:

Rightyoh, the alty mounts are done for now. Look a bit shoddy, but I don't care. :lol:

Next is the alty wiring, then brakes, clutch etc later on.

Pics:

Bottom of mount:

P1000559.jpg

Top right of mount (to dizzy pinch bolt), it's a prong type thing, so the mount can be pulled out (not up):

P1000557.jpg

Main body of mount:

P1000556.jpg

Top of mount:

P1000555.jpg

The top mount looks basically the same, so no new pics of that.

It's all 5mm steel, except for the main body of the bottom mount, which is 3mm.

Yay!

• 4 months later...

OK, progress!

Alternator is currently away being sorted out, and then it'll be the engine bay wiring next.

And I'm going to but the new master cylinders asap too.

But I made this today:

IMG155.jpg

Which will fit like this:

IMG156.jpg

It needs a little more welding to fill some holes, then painting up. But I'm pretty happy with it for a quick job. Hopefully I can get the other side done soon.

Then I'll need to drill holes to mount them - It'll be one bolt down the bottom (through the standard 'towing eye'), and two bolts up top to the mounting bar. - Which needs holes drilled in it for the standard mounting points too.

Hopefully then it'll be nice and solid :D