ProZac's 1982 Starion

ProZac

Went and got some steel today for the seat mounts. The red car came with some quite nice Recaros. I'm not 100% sold on them over factory seats, but they're pretty nice. The mounts that were on them were just some pieces of flat bar bent up in various ways and welded to the rails. Unfortunately the different height of the front mounting points on the drivers side of a Starion hadn't been taken into account, so the drivers seat was a bit on the piss.

S13's apparently have the same sort of deal with different height mounting points, and there was a set of Bride rails for one sitting at work. I borrowed the drivers side for inspiration, and got to the chopping. Everything is working out pretty square to the floor of the car, and will make mounting the rails properly and evenly nice and easy.

S13 Bride rails:

P2280002_1024x768_zps802dc281.jpg

The beginnings of what I've come up with:

P2280001_1024x768_zpsd6455612.jpg

Test fitting the seat and rails on top of what I've built confirms that the seat is still pretty low, a good 3-4 inches lower than a factory seat, which weren't particularly high in the first place... Will have to play around a bit more and make sure it's not going to be too low.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After a couple more hours mucking around today I've got this:

P3020002_1024x768_zpsf9a5baed.jpg

The rear left-hand mount is reinforced with some box section underneath to eliminate the flex there. When it's all bolted down, and the seat bolted to it, its rock solid and slides nicely. Its a couple of inches lower than the factory seats, and in about the same position centrally, feels good man!

Still have to finish weld everything and trim all the edges, but I think it'll work out nicely.

Oscar has given this car his stamp of approval too :).

P3020003_1024x768_zpsda70f029.jpg