Mini Cam timing- does not quite seem right.

mjrstar

So I wacked the new cam in the mini today but i'm not 100% happy with the timing, it seems like it needs the cam wheel marks 180 degrees out to give compression TDC on #1 cylinder. (fixed position camshaft gears)

I have not ajusted down the tappets as yet....

This is probably not a big deal, although it's made me a bit unsure as to where I should be putting the distributor drive back in. (the 2 o'clock position)

Do I put it in at TDC#1 Compression,(markd showing 180 degrees out) or with the crank and cam pulley alignment marks adjacent.

tdc.jpg

Car in question is my 1275 based mini engine, with a brand new 296 Kent MD camshaft on a non adjustable twin row timing gear.

Cheers

Matt

Shouldn't you:

1. Take off the timing chain and gears.

2. Turn engine so timing marks are visable through clutch casing and No.1 piston is at TDC.

3. Turn cam untill you can slide cam gear, crank gear and timing chain on with marks aligning.

4. Insert Dizzy (should be aligned correctly as driven from cam).

Or am I just confused by your situation.

Nick

^ yeah when i do EXACTLY this the camshaft lobes on #1 are making the engine 180 degrees away from the compression stroke. which either means:

The camshaft keyway or the timing mark on my cam wheel is 180 degrees out, you may also have forgotten about the geared drive to slot adaptor for the distributor?

12G4499.jpg

this is where i was sligtly stumped, but i guess i just need to go along with my inital plan of timing it all up to be 180 degrees out on the timing marks.

I also have a plan B to execute which involes doing a rough degreeing of the camshaft with a degree wheel and some verniers on the rockers...

Yup. I doubt the original timing mark on the cam gearwheel is in the wrong place so maybe it is the keyway on the cam.

Yup, I think your best plan is to ignore the timing marks on the timing chain and use degree wheel, dial gauges etc to set it yourself. In terms of sorting dizzy position, you can just turn the dizzy drive (your picture) over tooth by tooth to get the dizzy in the 2'clock/firing to cylinder No1 position right?

Yeah it's running a civic dizzy, so i can't just us the points opening as a good indication so it will involve a bit of hit and miss...

It doesn't help that the flywheel has been machined to within an inch of it's life so no-longer has any useful marks either...