Big A's 69 Gloria

BIG A

So here we go with a very short build thread.

I have asked my dad to send my some pics of the progress of the car as I have been asked by a lot of people to show the progress of the Gloria even if it is only going to take about 5 weeks to complete.

Here is the pic of her as spotted in Japan off the Yahoo auction site

11281n.jpg

And here it is in Auckland after being passed through customs

20110815114450.jpg

And a pic of the engine.

13071.jpg

img2183a.jpg

So this needs to be changed.

6d32.jpg

As the steering wheel hits my leg when getting in and makes it very hard to close the door.

This also needs to be changed as the rear suspension set up is on too much of an angle and is not really working.

Thank god for adjustables though.

938d.jpg

A list of things that will need to be certified.

Disc brakes on the front

Rear suspension

Possibly front suspension

5 speed gearbox

Power steering

Overall the car is in really good condition apart from the stainless steel patches put in by the Japanese and only tack welded in.

Heres hoping that the car goes through certification and compliance easy as.

• Like 2

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another small update even though I dont have any photos yet which I will have to chase up, the carpets have been taken to the upholsterer to get redone as they were rotten and the suspension was getting taken care of as well.

The doors have been all sanded down ready for paint and the boonet and boot were being stripped right back and acid washed and etched primed.

One of the rusty bits chopped out

rearquarter2.jpg

All patched up ready for the next step

patchedquarter.jpg

You can just see the japanese tacked on bit of stainless steel

rearquarter3j.jpg

And this is what was underneath it

bottomquarter.jpg

Another stainless steel patch to fix up

frontfendero.jpg

More stainless steel patches along the bottom sill

sideet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just another quick update.

Inside the doors have been painted and My Dad sayd the paint is freaking awesome and that it has quite a bit of pearl in it and is very sparkly.

He has got back the car from the suspension guys and the front end has been set to 100mm and the rear suspension angle has been fixed and it still has a nice stance.

The next to be sanded back will be the roof and my Dad can finish off the rear quarters in prep for the main paint job.

Photos to follow in the next couple of days hopefully.

Bloody steering wheel doesnt fit the boss kit!! :x Looks like I will have to get someone to make an adaptor to get the two to fit.

My dad loved the steering wheel though, it is vey well made.

Car should have been back from the painters today but I havent had an update and my dad was meant to be putting the car back together so it can go to the compliance center and then the certifier.

Has gone overboard on a couple of things I think because he is liking doing something different then the usual panelbeating jobs he does.

He polished up the tumpets on the carbs and painted the wheels and polished the wheel nuts.

He also wants to bring the car up so we can cruise the weekend of the 4 and rotary nats if it all goes through the checks o.k.

The Gloria went to the painters on Friday but will have to be finished off on Monday due to the etch primer not having enough time to really dry properly causing the top paint to bubble slightly. So fingers crossed I should have some pics late Monday of the finished paint work.

So the Gloria comes back from the painter today and my dad gives me a call sounding really pissed off, guess what they painted it the wrong fucken colour!!

The dumb idiots went and painted it the gun metal grey even after my dad saying to the guy it was titanium and it had heaps of pearl in it.

So heres what it looks like.

imagejpeg23i.jpg

So hopefully once my dad calms down ( he swore at the painter and said he was fucking angry that he didnt listen to him) the painter will have to sand the car down and redo it in the correct colour.

So main problem was that we gave the guy the wrong paint codes but he should have checked to make sure that he was painting it the right colour as it would have come up saying it wasnt titanium like what my dad had told him. So long story made short is it will stay this colour and apparently it is way lighter when you see it with your eye.

Even the car painter next door said the colour looks amazing so we will see what it looks like with the chrome.

I tell you its great having a dad who has lots of contacts in the car industry, he got a guy to make up an adaptor for my steering wheel to my steering boss(Sorry Sheepers) and it will be at a real good price I am sure.

Hopefully will have some photos with all the chrome on the car as I suspect that dad would have been putting the car back together on the weekend so he can get it through compliance.

My dad has been cutting and polishing all of the body panels and has put on the trim onto one of the doors but due to the long weekend has been held back by customers coming through asking for quotes etc.

Car is off to the upolsterer tomorrow to get the hood liner back in and I think my dad has gotten the dash repaired for my birthday present, but not to sure as he said you will be looking at it all the time but that was all he said. Damn it!

So the dead line has been stretched out again due to unforseen issues so the car is coming up on the 12th of November now not the 5th as I had originally planned, but now there can be more time spent on getting things done properly and not rush it and have to fix shit up later.

My dad also said that some of the rubbers are split from where they first took the car apart and he will go up to Horopito wreckers at some stage to see of the rubbers on the Gloria that is there are any good.

Hood liner is in and apparently it looks the business and there was some rust issues on the chassis rail that MAF had brought to our attention when the car first landed so one piece near the cross member has been replaced and there is another bit bit the radiator support to do tomorrow.

Sorry no pix I will ask my dad to get some more before the end of the week.

So more delays which means I have to wait another week till I get the car. Since the car had only lap belts in the front my dad has to make up some mounting points so the sash belts will fit in and be compliant. Then he went to fit the carpet in and it doesnt fit due to the fact that the original carpet was quite rotten and the upolsterer didnt have the car so the car will have to go and get some new carpet fitted.

Once those two things get done he will be putting all the trim on and then off for compliance and then certification.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally the car has gone into compliance today so we just have to wait for the sheet to see what needs to be done and then its off to get certed.

Small things have held up the process and I'm hanging out to get the car back to Auckland so I can drive it.

Will get my dad to email me some pics tomorrow.