steelies ariel

Steelies

discussion: http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26843&start=20

1937 ariel red hunter 350, early/mid 50s motor,

not much else to say really.. my first foray in to the world of roadgoing two wheelers

photos from tardme were better than what i could force out of the point'n'shoot i was using. so yeah

note back seat for fizzing up beers/girls

SAM_0071.jpg

moonshine in ya face

now if only i was allowed to use it..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

rear wheel had serious waggle technology in use, and the taper roller bearings are a 75euro each (made from unobtainium), not to mention needing a new set of nuts and new axle. so they went flying and made a new axle, spacers and nuts out of readilyavailablex, sleeved and slammed in some sealed metric ballbags.

SAM_0145.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

just jamming some reference here..

gearbox lube - penrite semi fluid grease NLGI 00 http://www.penriteoi... ... 202011.pdf

motor - penrite 25-70 yeah

fork oil SAE 30, filled to 17-18" below top plate, bike upright, unladen. oldschool or what

gearbox info links

http://www.voc.uk.com/net/burman.pdf

http://www.mmcoa.org/images/Burman_Tranny.pdf

• 2 months later...

bla bla deleted haha, man it looked like shit how i had it set up.

primary chain tension issues seem to have settled down as i've returned everything back to sloppy. should have known it was the only way it would work. british engineering - never tighten anything up

• 10 months later...

well you may have seen i chopped the tank up, will pop that on for a pic when it's done. new seat in the works too.

uh-oh

28092013102_zps05c4501a.jpg

in the meantime i took the gears-box apart to see why it didnt like shifting. all looks as it would in there, gear selecting stuff is happy but a few of the gears have chipped or missing teeth and others are worn and dinged because of it. looks like one of the teeth decided to go round for another lap after separating. i couldn't find any of the bits though, and the bushes look like replacements so i'm thinking it's been rebuilt/put back together since it lunched itself. also the speedo drive gear on the end of one of the shafts is completely fucked, and has fucked the driven gear too. that i can replace, but the shaft will be a tricky one.

doh

will send the gear set off to a beard in hamilton so he can sift through his stuffs and see if he has anything i can use, but it wasn't sounding promising.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

gear beard says he's got all but one gear and the layshaft i need to spruce me box up, yay! not looking forward to the price, could be beers, could be mortgage you never really know..

talked to another beard, this time with no beard so crazy scientist hair had to suffice. not only does he build harpsichords and vintage bikes, he also seems to have the Ariel speedo drive i need too. yeah/no use if i cant find a layshaft to drive it

note the strop for 'slam', and seat line should sit level with bottom line of the tank in the end.

anyone got a pair of hairpin springs they'd like to sell?

20102013174_zps08e38417.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

oh super interesting high quality photo update. there are some bokis-gea parts. that's gearbox if you don't speak pidgin

got 5 of the gears that i needed from Graeme Cole at Cycle Torque in Hamilton, he's a GC. plug!

one more gear, layshaft and speedo drive to find yet.

the gear required is the two-in-one jobby in the box. layshaft is the one with brass bushes on it, the waisted thing on the end of it should be a helical gear, looks more like a liquorice twist the dog didnt want to eat. speedo drive beside that, also used to have a matching helical gear cut on it.

could get away with using the existing layshaft and flagging speedo drive but the gauge is so prominent it seems a shame to have it not working, not to mention having a nasty bike speedo in the somewhere.

aaanyways

13112013335_zpsef1be613.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

long time no update!

here's a link to the fuel tank chop as i can't seem to edit previous posts.

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/40586-narrowing-a-bike-tank/?hl=narrowing

i see the thread also neglects to mention i had the magneto rewound some time ago too, after suffering from a dodgy spark, then finding damage inside the mag. unfortunately Doug Banks has since sold up his mag business to a local mogul and retired due to ill health.

sent the gearbox away to an Otago beard for bearding a couple weeks ago. once he started explaining the effects of endfloat on an old Burman box, let alone the rest of it, i decided it was best to let him do this shitty shit. 

lying in wait:

tank seal. should have done that a while back haha.

new tube and bends for fresh zorst.

got the primary chain out while pulling gearbox, it folded up like an old builder's rule.  maybe thats why it was so boss at idling round 5 RPM

everything on this bike is rooted, i think i just bought someone's spares bin all glued together.

edit,

discussion:

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/29582-steelies-1930s-ariel-wheelie-machine/?hl=%2Bwheelie+%2Bmachine

• Like 5