diesel guru needed

shizzl

ok so i put another ld28 into the van.

was told it ran sweet when taken out of the last vehicle it was in.

ive hooked everything up and it wont fire..not even a hint of an attempt..

theres fuel at the injectors, theres power at the injector pump shut off switch thing and shes turning over..

power also at the glow plugs...

any suggestions???

did you bleed it up between the tank and the lift pump?

cracked the injector pipes while cranking making sure it's splurdging out there?

little bit (JUST A LITTLE) of engine start in the manifold (after the turbo) help? don't use much!

is it blowing any white smoke whilst cranking?

ok, so it's got fuel coming back out the return line?

after a while cranking, most diesels will usually start purging some white smoke out the tailpipe.

crack all the injector lines at the injectors and crank it over there until there's a 'good amount' of fuel coming out of them. tighten, and it should probably fire up. this is assuming that by powering up the pump that it's letting fuel through. hopefully the fuel cutoff solenoid's workign nicely.

also, are the glowplugs working?

now shes getting the odd hint of wanting to fire but thats it...

but, now theres oil and atf all over the show..i can sense a bonfire coming on...bloody thing...

i cant see a primer on the pump anywhere........

cant take the cut off solenoid out with pulling the pump to bits..

ok well, hint of firing means you're on the way. what'd you do to make it do that? if there's been air in the system, which there will have been due to transporting the motor and shit, then it'll be a bit cunty to get it going. cracking the injector lines to let this air out is the best idea. primer pumps are usually on the filter head on this size diesel engine. chance are they've fitted the elctrical pump and done away with this system, so just make sure the pump goes for a while to push all the air out of the system. you can check by unhooking to return to tank hose and making sure it's pissing out there etc. is it cranking over at a good speed? if not, get the battery nice and charged and hook good sized battery to it with some heavy jumper leads (i think i read that you live on a farm so a tractor hooked to it with some solid leads would be perfect).

what's the cause of oil and atf everywhere? just spillage from when you pulled the motor out?

hope you have some luck bud. once it fires up it'll probably miss like fuck too, if it does it for more than like 30sec- 1 minute there will still be air in the system. if there's a big pocket it might even die completely and you wont be able to start it. you'll have to go through the bleeding process again.

tedious, annoying, and downright gay times, but that's diesels for ya :D

the oil hose to the alt is split...engne oil everywhere, atf is coming from a trans line..

i was jumping it with the tractor,which sped up the cranking speed,thats all the difference was...

just wanna get it fired up so i know its gonna run before i spend anymore coin on it.

i have had a win people...

thanks for ya help cam,and the motivation to not set fire to it instead..

went back out and cracked every possible fuel line fitting,cranked it non stop for ages..tightened them back up.

cranked again for ages and it almost caught, then nothing again,so did it over and over again a couple of times..

then the last time it started to catch i kept up it with the starter,and she fired,and ran on...idled so sweet..

pump mustv been full of airlocks id say..

but seeing as the trans is now empty of atf again she wont go anywhere, i put in about 1l of atf,and she slips but moves, so a win aswell.

will fill her up tomorrow and see how it goes.

will also need to make up mew exhaust mounts cos the cotton reel mounts broke( shouldnt have had that type of mount anyway)..

ill just use some conveyor belt rubber sandwhiched together,drill a holl through it and bolt it on ;p lol

rangi i know...

might even take it for a wof now...YO!!!

its has that sick diesel turbo sound too...awesome

just need to get that trans filled and it should be good as..

the trans pipes are just a temp fix to make sure shes all good before i spend coin on it..i just used fuel line for now.