dirtyleppas new C31 laurel

dirty_leppa

DISCUSS http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewto ... lit=laurel

most of you guys will remember this car from a few years ago. it belonged to 028, and when i bought my own C31 and saw this, i was blown away at how awesome it was.

well i was lucky enough to get hold of it with the help of a mate from tauranga a couple weeks before xmas. was a sweet present to myself.

i got this to replace my one as its a medalist and higher specced compared to mine. and the fact it has live rego is a win to.

dscf46691600x1200.jpg

dscf46701600x1200.jpg

dscf46721600x1200.jpg

dscf46731600x1200.jpg

dscf46741600x1200.jpg

dscf46751600x1200.jpg

dscf46761600x1200.jpg

dscf46771600x1200.jpg

i think i got a damn good deal, as a look over it on delivery showed a chinese brand intercooler, racepro boost controller, Greddy BOV, divorce style dump pipe, full 2.5" exhaust with stainless muffler and adjustable coil overs in the rear. super stoked is an understatement.

i got stuck into trying to suss out why it wasnt running at all. found out the firing order was wrong, so sorted that, then looked at the intercooler and piping. cooler was just sitting loose, and 2 of the hoses werent even on. some of the ones that were on, were not even clamped on, just sitting loose. removed the cooler temporarily and clamped all the loose hoses.

had a go at running it. it would run, barely and it sounded like it was back firing through the inlet. compression tested it and all was good. was slowly running out of ideas, so bart suggested we crack open the tappet cover and see if it had a dropped valve. as soon as we did, the problem was found.

number 1 exhaust rocker had fallen off due to the tappet undoing itself. we refitted it, roughly adjusted the tappet and voilĂ , it fired up and ran 1st pop.

it still had a small miss down low, so took it for a drive, threw some fresh gas and it and warmed it up. boosted around for a while, and now all sorted. miss gone. mustve been some shitty stale fuel, or some crap in the lines etc.

plan now is to replace the jammed closed thermostat, refit the intercooler, fit my new, unused wheels and just enjoy it. will overtime tidy it up, fit new chrome and interior bits and pieces.

also plan to fit an LSD centre to the diff and eventually make up some front coil overs for her.

let me know what ya think, or have any ideas for me

• 5 months later...

so a meagre for all that can be bothered to follow this. i took the week off work as i CBF with work at the moment, and i needed to get some work done on the laurel.

so with a week off of work i had big plans to get the engine swapped over in the laurel, take it for a wof and hopefully get it on the road for me to enjoy. come monday morning it took me 2 days to finally get motivated to get some work done. pulled the motor and box out after about 3 hours.

today i went about refitting the motor back into the car. i had to swap the turbos over as well as the engine mounts and loom. in the process of doing this, i remembered i had to refit the oil pump, dizzy and dizzy drive. low and behold, when i pulled it out, i forgot to setup the timing :rolleyes: after a bit of work i reset it with the hope of it being in the correct position.

tomorrow i will continue fitting the turbo, then it will be ready to go back in the hole. once in, it will just need to be plumbed, wired up and have the gearbox fitted along with the driveshaft.

unfortunately i dont have any pics, but everyone knows what an empty engine bay looks like. what i can say is that thank fuck i took the engine out to swap the turbo than do it in the car.

will keep you boes posted on progress as it happens