Kicker's 79 B1600

kicker

Discovered a leak in the fuel tank, looked to be coming from the seam so whipped it off.

pic%20051a.jpg

Dirt had piled up on the seam behind the mounting points and started to rust the tank, only one hole so far, will take it to a radiator shop once things get going after the break.

pic%20049a.jpg

Also picked up a couple no name 6" subwoofers for dirt cheap so started looking at where I could install them.

pic%20057a.jpg

Behind the seat was the best option, so took a few measurements to find out the space available, then knocked up a cardboard version and luckily enough it fits perfectly. One will go on each side.

pic%20054a.jpg

pic%20055a.jpg

Removed the kick panels so I could make a template for some new ones

pic%20052a.jpg

Found the original toolbag under the seat, still in good nick.

pic%20058a.jpg

Pulled the wellside off today to clean and paint the chassis

pic%20066a.jpg

Fuel tank should be repaired in the next day or so, have also pulled the rad out as there was a small leak that needs attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up fuel tank, no more wasted gas yay

pic%20101a.jpg

pic%20100a.jpg

Also picked up a higher output alternator for when the stereo goes in

pic%20092a.jpg

Finally got the rear part of the chassis painted

pic%20096a.jpg

I wasn't 100% with how the wheels looked when I got it but still wanted to keep it oldschool and keep the hubcaps.

Found some wheel trims online and bombed the rims matte black and was quite pleased with the outcome.

pic%20098a.jpg

pic%20097a.jpg

• 2 months later...

Haven't done much lately but have been busy the last couple of days since installing some nice new lighting in my garage.

I replaced the locks as the passenger side one was bung, sourced a replacement interior light and drivers side vent and replaced some seam sealer in the cab. I took the towbar off too as I don't really need it or the ability to carry out ram raids.

I decided to remove the plastic trim on the sides as it was peeling off and just generally looking shite, I never really liked how it looked with the tie-down rails on the wellside anyhow.

After that I gave it a cut and polish which came up pretty good and finally issued a bit of slam.

Much better than the two 100w bulbs that were there previously, now I can actually find the stuff that I drop

IMG_3989a.JPG

Springs out for re-education and blocks to go in back

Picture%20012.jpg

Picture%20006.jpg

Picture%20007.jpg

Picture%20004.jpg

Picture%20009.jpg

Also picked up this old radio, it's the same type as my old man used to have in his work van for taking to construction sites back in the day. I might make a carrier for it in the cab and put some hooks in the wellside to hang it off for radio/cassette stz when doing ute stuff

picc%20007a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Took the ute for its first wof since I have owned it, was expecting a fail but went through sweet.

Next step is a little bit of rust work and swapping drums for discs on the front.

Required pics

Discs, calipers, M/C and booster

picy1%20017a.jpg

U bolts/pedestrian graters trimmed

picy1%20001a.jpg

picy1%20012a.jpg

Gave it a couple bj's

picy1%20014a.jpg

picy1%20015a.jpg

Also need shorter bumpstops in front as can be seen above, might look for some at pickapart next time I'm there

• 3 weeks later...

Have been looking for some steel rims to get widened.

Found some 16x7's for cheap which should do the trick, plus being 16" I can go for a lower profile tyre without increasing my 100k revs too much (sit at about 3700 due to 4speed/ute ratios).

They have a +38mm offset but as they are they only contact the front part of the upper arm 5mm before hitting the lock stops, hopefully I can get an inch or so taken out of the back and have some more added to the front for better fitment and some sweet steel dish.

picccc%20043a.jpg

picccc%20039a.jpg

picccc%20042a.jpg

picccc%20033a.jpg

picccc%20038a.jpg

Bought some knobs for the AM radio so that is looking good again

Got some sound deadening on the way too, sick of the tin can echo I got going on, just have to prep and paint the floor of the cab which I cbf doing but will have to

picccc%20046a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had some starter motor lulz this week. Cold was fine but once warmed up, it would disengage before the engine fired up. I needed to pick up a mower from Kapiti and didn't have time to check the starter beforehand so I just left the engine running whenever I had to get out, using my spare key to unlock the door.

I'm sure some Kapiti flat peakers thought it had a turbo timer in it. Anyhoo it's all sorted now, this is what I got.

picccc%20068a.jpg

oldschool lawnmowing service?

• 1 month later...

This was supposed to have been done by now but the ash stopped me from getting home on time and finishing it.

Floor pans ready to be prepped for paint, going to use some more por15

IMG_4451a.jpg

Once paint is on, sound deadening is next followed by carpet

Got a 36 square foot pack of Dynamat for $270 bucks

IMG_4442a.jpg

Chip Foose yo!

• 2 months later...

Haven't done much to this lately, just been driving it.

Put some new points and a condensor in it and drove it to Bike Meat, it ran well but guzzled just under 4l of oil over the 800k trip

So I picked up a 2l replacement to keep me going, came with a 5 speed box and a few other bits, I'll keep the 4 speed for now though

IMG_4584a.jpg

Also painted the floor and put in some sound deadening

IMG_4597a.jpg

Got some 16x7 steels in for modification at the moment, widening the rears to 8" and having the offset of the fronts reduced by 20mm.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got tyres on now, picked up some 205/50's from KK

Not sure on the rim colour, silver is not too bad but I Think I'd prefer satin black

Also needs to be lowered some more but we all knew that

I haven't decided if I like stretched or flattish sidewalls yet but I'll lower it first then see how it fits/looks

IMG_4701a.jpg

IMG_4700a.jpg

IMG_4706a.jpg

IMG_4705a.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...