Mikuni's 1981 Commodore

mikuni

Currently in the process of changing the stud pattern from horrible 5x4¼ inch to 5x120mm so that I can fit some BBS RS wheels. This involves changing the front struts and the rear diff. There are different ways of doing this, but I am fitting VL struts and a VK diff.

Discussion

Out with the old

SANY2790.jpg

SANY2795.jpg

In with the new

SANY2793.jpg

SANY2794.jpg

Ok, so not quite new. Its very second hand, I was actually a bit disappointed with just how fucked it is, but you do get that with wreckers. All the arms/panhard rod etc were plasma cut off, brake line was fucked, handbrake lines were plasma'd also so the whole brake assembly had to come off to get the cable out and give it a general tidy up. However it was cheap and it was available, so I am greatful. Hopefully it all works alright once it gets a run.

VL Commodore struts in the front, with some BMW wheels I had laying around. They're not as bad on there as I was expecting, just a good offset and the full face style quite suits the Commy.

SANY2791.jpg

SANY2792.jpg

SANY2798.jpg

But really, the BMW wheels don't quite cut it and these BBS RS wheels are what all the fuss is about.

SANY2799.jpg

SANY2806.jpg

Nothing huge width wise, but its all I can fit at the moment. I've only widened the rears for now, so will be running something like 16x9 +24 and 16x9.5 -25 on the rear, so there is a big difference between them as far as where the outer lip will sit. Hope it won't look too bad and I do have some spacers I can use on the front if required. The VL struts have widened the front track slightly also, while the rear is still using a slightly narrower (11mm) VK diff.

I'm aiming to get them acid dipped tomorrow and I'll paint them tomorrow night. It will be far from the best job ever, but I think they'll come up more than good enough for me. After the paint dries I want to throw them together with a few bolts to get tyres fitted on Friday. Then Friday night/Saturday I can finish throwing the remaining bolts (136 in total) in and see how I go from there.

Discussion

SANY2834.jpg

I'm buggered.

Just need to wait for the silicone to cure then torque the bolts up tight, then fit tyres. A bit gutted, I almost lined up a set of Starfires, which would be extremely fitting for this car, but have gone with Roadstones, which are still suitably lol.

Managed to get the wheels all together and tyres on, before leaving for Napier. Held my breath that everything would hold together/air. It went quite well all the way there and back, but did have a few rubbing issues due to not rolling the guards and the diff offset, which I didn't have time to sort out.

SANY2884.jpg

SANY2880.jpg

SANY2882.jpg

SANY2883.jpg

SANY2847.jpg

SANY2835.jpg

Obviously it does need bringing down to earth, but overall I'm happy with how it is progressing.

Wof time in a couple of weeks, so will try and hold out until then before attempting to lower it, which will likely cause any number of issues knowing me.

Discussion

• 4 months later...

Above photos are shit, but this is still the only decent one I have, taken on new years eve shortly before finishing a small bottle of appletons and making somewhat a fool of myself :lol::D just the usual then..

SANY3667.jpg

Needs more low in the front and the rear is still rubbing, despite fitting an adjustable panhard rod and stopping several times over our summer vacation to centre the diff perfectly. I'm probably going to grind the inner lip of the guard out, as its rolled up as much as it can be.