Damien's 83 Mitsubishi Sigma Wagon

So this happened

DSC_0004_zpsz1lo4f9v.jpg

Apparently not everyone knows the term "Merge like a zip". Ended up bump'n and grind'n up against a truck.

Needless to say, I was fairly pissed when this happened. 

So, off to the panel beater it went. Whilst it was there I decided to get a few things done that ive been holding off.

This rust in my roof has been getting worse and worse

DSC_0082_zpsaih7e3kz.jpg

And have these fender mirrors colour matched

DSC_0083_zpsxb4a2hyt.jpg

The hoodlining also started to sag badly. You'll have to use your imagination for that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enlisted the expert services of Grant at GT Refinishers

DSC_0091_zps2guddv1n.jpg

I knew the quarter had been repaired in the past but apparently there was 10mm thick bog in some sections.

Dent pushed out pretty good

DSC_0089_zpsgy0zejpq.jpg

As for the rust, as usually, it was much worse than expected. Thank god I didnt tackle this myself. (Sorry Grant)

DSC_0088_zpszhknmhjf.jpg

Looks like water may have leaked into the roof from the roof rack mount and settled in between the skins.

Hoodlining out

DSC_0090_zpsfdbg60gl.jpg

Scored a short shifter for the KM132

DSC_0141_zpsetgqjye9.jpg

This is the measurement from 3rd to 4th with the standard shifter

DSC_0136_zpsoxpe7us9.jpg

DSC_0139_zps3idpczma.jpg

Roughly 110mm of travel.

Here are the measurements of the short shifter from 3rd to 4th

DSC_0142_zpswkvw6uyn.jpg

DSC_0144_zpsbboagy7m.jpg

Roughly 90mm of travel

The shifter is in a different position to the standard one. Took a little getting use to. When its in 4th, it looks like its in neutral.

That is all

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The N/A 4G63 DOHC has been going great guns and has never let me down at all but it was time to upgrade.

I had been looking over Fuels and Yoeddynzs V6 builds and thought I like the way the V6 looks mounted North/South. Plus, I wanted to do something else other than the 4G63T swap.

So I got a 6G72 N/A from a GTO (thanks DJZ) and scored a GTO for the wiring loom, ECU and sensors.

DSC_0425_zpscvuprdee.jpg

As I slowly (and I mean slowly) plotted along with this I realised that this is going to take a while and with the OS Drag Day coming up I decided to bail on this swap and took the easy option of the 4G63T

I had stripped an E39A VR4 earlier this year and hung on to the motor. My original goal has to put this motor into another Sigma wagon I have and turn it into some sort of drift thing, much like Kelvins Corona wagon.

So I slapped the motor on an engine stand to give it a good clean and to replace all the serviceable parts.

"Mota and box good"

DSC_0467_zpsiqhl4qtp.jpg

When I removed the front cover I found the balance shaft belt had snapped. Took a gamble and decided to continue fixing this motor.

DSC_0465_zpsa7e1nzy9.jpg

For the turbo side of things I am using the turbo setup that was in my EX Lancer. I scored another manifold off Tank that I will eventually use on the Lancer.

DSC_0496_zpsq36x70b0.jpg

So, out with the trusty N/A 4G63

DSC_0572_zps09xlajdr.jpg

DSC_0576_zpshsl5ipz5.jpg

DSC_0608_zpsztnx1sbg.jpg

I had to convert back to manual steering box as the powersteering pump sits right where the turbo inlet will be. No biggie as the powersteering sucked.

VR4 use a different AFM so my modified AFM housing wont work. Had to find a VR4 airbox and cut it up again to fit inside the filter

DSC_0580_zpsartqlgow.jpg

CUT

DSC_0609_zps1ga1mfqy.jpg

FIT

DSC_0610_zpsgxkffrhp.jpg

DSC_0613_zpsnnqh2qhm.jpg

• Like 2

Im using a Starion sump on the VR4 motor so had to relieve a section of the sump. 

DSC_0607_zpsdylaripu.jpg

DSC_0623_zpstgbfvdp9.jpg

Whilst the motor was out I attacked the wastegate and plumbed it into the exhaust system. 

DSC_0604_zpsyxd6ffud.jpg

DSC_0624_zps7dzrj14j.jpg

Next up was to shoehorn an intercooler in the front of the car. I really wanted to run A/C but its a bit too tight for 3 coolers up front so ditched the A/C idea.

Front of the car off

DSC_0611_zpscvoeenpt.jpg

Managed to grab an intercooler from an EVO 5? Looks like an aftermarket replacement. Seemed to be the right size for what I want to do.

The mocking up stages

DSC_0658_zpsqsgowa4o.jpg

I had Daniel (DJZ) weld on some brackets and I went trawling thru Zebra Car Parts for rubber bushes to fit in the brackets. Like the weirdo that I am I gravitated to the Mitsubishi section and found the perfect bushes on the airbox of a Cedia.

DSC_0647_zpsqubixh2s.jpg

DSC_0648_zpsmmsrnnfq.jpg

DSC_0649_zps8yyzic9k.jpg

I managed to get a whole bunch of replacement parts (cambelt kit, valve stem seals, water pump etc, thanks shandawg) and bribed my ol man to fit said parts.

Was another opportunity to put my homemade valve tool to work

DSC_0633_zpssutndyvf.jpg

DSC_0634_zpsscf5lapx.jpg

All fitted up

DSC_0636_zpsztastnf0.jpg

DSC_0644_zpszwl5424o.jpg

• Like 1

Now normally I get my ol man to tackle the wiring because, well, wiring scares me. But with the drag day looming closer and my ol man busy with other things it left me no choice but to do it myself.

As the Mitsubishi wiring is heavily documented on the internet it wasnt that hard. I had a few questions that were either answered by my ol man or by Fuel.

The wiring loom I had was damaged. It looked like the previous owner of the VR4 was running an aftermarket computer and had cut all the wires right at the plug making it impossible to repair. Going thru my ol mans garage (which has been nick named the "Mark-muda Triangle") I managed to find a VR4 wiring loom that I thought I gave away. Problem with this loom is that it was missing a lot of the plugs on the engine bay side.

So I decided to make 1 good loom from the 2

Starting to repair

FB_IMG_1448609063763_zpsfznpchyl.jpg

Somewhat organised

DSC_0651_zpsw8ewml02.jpg

Back to the car itself, I made a bracket that the oilcooler bolts to. I had some lines made by ENZED (highly recommend)

DSC_0660_zpsqw64wwvg.jpg

So with everything on the motor it was time to slam it in the hole

DSC_0663_zpsqnv2yhgt.jpg

This is where things started to go pear shaped.......

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Now to tidy it up and drive it over the summer

^ Well that never happened......

After the drag day I drove the car to work, which is roughly a 50km journey. 6km into that journey my clutch pedal went straight to the floor and never came back which meant I had to turn the car off when I came to a complete stop and start off in 1st gear and shift without a clutch. This was extremely difficult with the usual shit traffic.

Finally made it to work and put the car up on axle stands. Found the issue was a broken clutch cable mount.

DSC_0685_zpsxlhi6tlb.jpg

It stayed in this state for 3 months.......

I decided to do something about it and get it running again. If you watch the video in my last post you can hear my gearbox protesting between gear changes. It was so hard to get into gear.

With this in mind I decided to replace the clutch setup. The clutch setup was the same equipment that was on the original SOHC 4G63 when I got the car.

Had the flywheel machined

DSC_0124_zpsfo3isrjy.jpg

New clutch kit

DSC_0123_zpsfqjhfpw4.jpg

Whilst the gearbox was out I decided to wire brush and paint it. Cos you know, painting something you never see is a good idea.

I also put a new rear seal in the box as it leaked quite bad.

DSC_0125_zpsfocuu17j.jpg

Slapped it all together and the clutch still wasnt the best. Wasnt till I compared clutch cables with a few I had and noticed that there was a rubber spacer/grommet that had perished causing the pedal to run out of adjustment. Replaced the grommet with a good one and shes a runner!

Out of hibernation 

DSC_0145_zpsgulxrior.jpg

Theres still a few things to fix up. Tacho and check engine light dont work, no heater fan etc. Small stuff.

Will take it for a WOF and see if it passes with out a cert, but I think cert time is near.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Havent done too much to the wagon. Was using it as my daily for a while whilst the Mirage was WOF-less. This car is no longer a suitable daily driver with the cams that are in it. Makes for horrid peak hour driving.

Added a boost gauge to the dash. 

DSC_0172_zpsi6pku7xs.jpg

Was a bit surprised as I thought the wastegate had a 12psi spring. The gauge was bang on 10psi (probably +/- 2 psi accuracy)

Wanted to fit a boost gauge as I had a drag meet and wanted to raise the boost to around 14psi

Took the car to said drag meet. 

Track was slippery. Didnt set any ET records but did finally crack the ton. 102 MPH with a crap time. If I had traction I may have got a PB. Oh well.

And I made the wagon unofficially official 

DSC_0157_zpsu3hu15lq.jpg

DSC_0158_zpswrkwh6rh.jpg

It now has no WOF and the little shop I used to go to have got their act together. Which is good for me because it forces me to get this certified.

That is all

• Like 4

• 3 months later...