Damien's 83 Mitsubishi Sigma Wagon

So, continuing on from my last post I fixed the clutch issue.

The post before that I mentioned that I had other plans for the wagon. Get ready for the anti climax.....

***TWIN CAM***

I picked up a 4G63 DOHC from Christchurch thanks to DJZ. Came with almost everything to make it run. It was looking pretty weathered externally so I bolted the engine to an engine stand (thanks Chaos) and started wire brushing the block ready for paint.

20121013_124043_zps86a20e94.jpg

20121013_125205_zpsf2ae8faf.jpg

I also removed a few parts that I would be re using and sandblasted them ready for paint.

20121010_122247_zpsb41ffd14.jpg

20121012_081037_zpsa6f9d557.jpg

I had a set of RWD extractors lying around and thought if I got some FWD extractors I could make a FWD/RWD set.

Difference between the two extractors.

20120720120727_zps9e84ba7f.jpg

Chop chop

20120720153705_zps43876f91.jpg

Not pretty but functional (hopefully)

20120724_155833_zps2260b985.jpg

For the inlet manifold mod, I got DJZ (lovely bloke) to do the cut and shut thing.

20121103_150458_zpsaae354bc.jpg

Decided to replace the timing belt and tensioners. Also replaced the water pump. The seller had written on the rocker cover "Engine gets hot. Headgasket?" but as I removed the old water pump the issue was the pump had rusted out and broke most of the fins/blades off.

Doing the cam belt.

20121103_163622_zpsdfa0031c.jpg

All done

20121103_171023_zpsec059be9.jpg

The hardest, longest job doing this conversion (so far) were the water pipes. I still want to use the heater so I made some new water pipes that should do the job. Relocated the thermostat housing to the side.

P1050642_zpsfef345da.jpg

P1050643_zps25d1c7e8.jpg

P1050644_zps74cef911.jpg

Took this week off work to test fit the engine in the wagon. I wont be fitting the DOHC permanently yet. Just wanting to see what the issues are going to be and then pull it out again. A lot of work for bugger all but meh.

So, old engine out.

P1050640_zpsdc460e22.jpg

P1050641_zps653ece05.jpg

New engine in.

P1050645_zpseffffe25.jpg

P1050646_zpsff69bca5.jpg

P1050647_zpsb5c01e07.jpg

P1050648_zps9f675fab.jpg

Ive got the ol man coming over tomorrow to help me figure out the wiring side of things.

Still have a bit to do to get this going. Ill list them for my sake.

• Fuel pump
  • Ignition leads
  • Accelerator cable
  • Fan
  • Other bits that ill forget

• Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First major issue.

P1050649_zpsc3412ab1.jpg

Nothing Mr Hammer cant fix.

Been shopping at Pick a Part the lats few days. Man they've jacked their prices up.

Brought a pretty sweet external fuel pump setup with mount.

P1050650_zpsc3940b0b.jpg

Modified my AFM box thing. Never liked how massive they were and thought I could fit the unit inside an air filter.

This is the AFM chopped up.

P1050652_zpsd8582a12.jpg

This is it in its new home.

P1050653_zps9c95e84c.jpg

Got a 45 degree silicon joiner yesterday. Had to cut it shorter to work but works fine. Had to stretch the joiner on the AFM side as its just over 3"

P1050654_zps49a89c29.jpg

The ol man came over and had a look at the wiring.

Its a bit of a mess but im trying to get some order with it at the moment.

P1050651_zps31b31bf1.jpg

I dont think I could cut it as an auto sparky

P1050660_zps5eb8db16.jpg

So, the powerhouse SOHC is back in the hole and running.

I started on a new exhaust system and have almost completed it but will wait for my muffler to arrive from Chch.

I have a few things to sort out for the engine swap.

• Fuel Pressure Reg (aftermarket)
  • Smash firewall
  • Make accelerator cable
  • Tidy up wiring
  • Finish exhaust
  • Source radiator hose
  • Fan
  • Do skid

If I dont have to do family stuff during the easter weekend I think thats when the swap will commence.

• 1 month later...
Guest Damien!

Started the engine swap last weekend.

Pulled the SOHCa out of the car. Poor lil engine had done some work. (370,000+ kms)

Tidied up the wiring on the DOHC (believe it or not) ready to be slammed in the hole

P1050668_zps057ee7e8.jpg

Made a shroud out of ally for my radiator fan.

P1050667_zps5d3c36e8.jpg

Didnt really get much done last weekend but bolt the engine in. Sunday was a complete mess due to the weather as was most of the week.

Was able to get some help yesterday with putting the car together. Had my father on electrical duties and a cousin finishing the exhaust as I pretty much supervised.

Mounted my fuel pump and filter in the only possible position under the car.

IMG_4562_zps138e6232.jpg

Exhaust sorta done.

IMG_4565_zpsbf52783d.jpg

2 1/2" pipe, 2x resonators, 1x flowmaster muffler.

Engine in the hole

IMG_4558_zpsf5e57fc6.jpg

IMG_4559_zps348af7ee.jpg

Radiator shoud worked out well

IMG_4557_zps36baeb9f.jpg

Stiil need to sort out a top radiator pipe so cant fill with coolant yet.

Scored an A/C unit from a Starion with the help of Prozac.

IMG_4561_zps47593aa7.jpg

I brought a FPR to run on the engine as the factory reg no longer fit in the rail with the throttle body at the other end. The FPR I got was a chinese copy of a Sard type. I made a last minute decision not to use it as I didnt really trust it. The finish was shit.

So, I made a remote housing for the factory reg to fit in.

IMG_4560_zps1ee9f1eb.jpg

The ol man finished most of the wiring so I made a 5pm dash to Repco last night to get some oil and a oil filter and tried to see if the engine would make an attempt to start.

Had a slight hick-up with the fuel pump wiring. One bridge wire later.....VROOOOM!

She runs....Loud! Louder than I hoped.

We are very impressed at how easy the engine started, no smoke and how quiet the engine ran (Mitsi tick) bar the cambelt whine. The cambelt whine is loud. No need for gilmore drive. Sadly I havent got a vid of it running as I cant run it for long with no coolant.

Should have it on the ground running by next weekend. Skid vid then.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Damien!

Worked hard last Sunday to get the car running but ran into an issue with my alternator.

A massive thanks to ProZac and DJZ for sorting out a replacement alternator.

Bolted the replacement alternator on and took the car for its maiden voyage last night.....a short maiden voyage.

Took the car up to the gas station, grabbed some go juice, drove out of the station and the car started backfiring and generally running like shit. Pulled to the side of the road and decided to journey back home. Turned around and coughed and farted some more and pulled over again.

It was dark time so I couldnt see much but smelt fuel. Popped the bonnet and felt my fuel lines.......split hose :(

It drove ok in the short distance I traveled. A whole lot more torque than the SOHC but I dont think its running at its maximum. Im suspicious of the FPR and the fuel pump as theyre not factory items. Will do some tinkering in the weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced the fuel pump for a higher flowing pump (Bosch 950 to a Bosch 910) and a FPR suited for this engine. Not sure if its made an improvement but I can sort of rest at ease that the engine wont be running lean.

It is back to being my daily driver now and im pretty happy with how its going. A bonus with this engine swap is that it seems to be almost twice as economical as the old motor (if that makes sense)

As promised, skid vid.

All thats left to do now is get it certified. I may be looking at selling in the near future. Weighing up the pros and cons

IMG_5662_zps40efb01d.jpg

Happy.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You know when you see people joke about Mitsis with the "Blue smoke" comments? It aint no joke - and this car proves it.

At the moment im spending more on oil than fuel! NO SHIT. Roughly 4L of oil a week..... sadface

Praying that its just valve guide seals but im thinking engine overhaul time.

And because im lazy as shit I havent got this certified and now the WOF is out. FML.

Parting pic

IMG_7108_zps2e1a09c3.jpg

• 2 months later...

One step forward, 5 steps back.

Decided to try and get a WOF without a cert and succeeded.

Decided to try and fix the smoking issue - Did not succeed.

It seems this engine does not want to be cured. Ran into problem after problem.

Brought a valve spring compressor tool to do the valve stems but turned out that this particular tool wouldnt fit in. So, I made one.

IMG_8226_zps0715d889.jpg 

IMG_8225_zps246398f7.jpg

Didnt work too bad. Took a bit of getting use to. 

IMG_8223_zpsb90c54db.jpg

Replaced all the valve stem seals which was a massive drama but I wont bore you with the details. Lets just say theres a collet in the sump and its staying there.

The ol man said that it will still smoke for a while due to oil in the exhaust system and to drive it and monitor the oil level. The smoking was marginally better.

Took it for a hoon out to Katikati this weekend and monitored my oil pressure gauge. Level was high when I left home. Got to Paeroa and the level was pretty low. Brought 4 litres of oil and it took the whole lot. F...M...L!

So, I guess it can only be rings. Joy.

Im going to switch my concentration on to the maroon wagon now to get that road legal and sold to fund for a new engine/rebuild.

Anyone have or know of a 4G63 DOHC long block somewhere? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive stripped the engine of all the bits I dont need. I just need it down to a "Long block" situation.

Spent today pulling it down some more and degreasing.

2013-12-15160524_zpsfc57e990.jpg

The rebuild idea is on hold. Going to slam this motor in and see if its an OK runner.

I pulled the exhaust manifold off the engine thats currently in my wagon and found a lot of oil around port 4 and a lot of build up. The oil feed for turbo'd motors is just above this port. I have a feeling the head is cracked in this area but im unsure.

P1060075_zpscb09be5f.jpg

P1060076_zpsf3962067.jpg

I will inspect better when the engine comes out. Ive got a bit of time off work over the break so will crack on with the swap then.

• 2 weeks later...

Motor out time

2013-12-22165713_zpsf3ec863e.jpg

P1060077_zpsa27f2d69.jpg

Im in the middle of putting all the bits from one motor to the other.

P1060082_zps0b009e4d.jpg

The motor on the left is the next victim. Im going to be doing the valve stem seals regardless. A lot easier to do with it on an engine stand. Waiting for my cambelts to arrive from America. Once they arrive I can full assemble the engine and slap it in.

Still havent found out what the issue was/is. The EGR port was clogged with oil gunk.

P1060080_zps84022d55.jpg

P1060081_zps7f70c677.jpg

Depending on when the cambelts arrive I should hopefully have this running next week and maybe have this back on the road. If this engine is as bad as the last one its definitely rebuild time.

Have a great new years everyone 

• 3 weeks later...

We all like squiggly exhaust manifolds.

Whilst the motor was out I set out to make one of those spaghetti manifolds. When I say make, I mean take some pre-made headers and slap a 4G63 flange on.

Here are the headers I scored off madmitsi

2013-11-22122259_zpsf3d084f9.jpg

Scored a stainless manifold for VR4/EVO off Trademe for $1.50. You can see ive already made the chop.

2013-11-22122235_zps62982e11.jpg

This is when I found out shit wasnt gonna be easy. Angles were all wrong and had bugger all room in the engine bay. The headers were originally 4-2-1 but decided to make my own 4-1 merge collector.

Long story short, finished product

P1060246_zpsb4813398.jpg

P1060245_zps6df78179.jpg

• Like 1

All my parts arrived over the holidays so I got the ol man to fit the valve stem seals, cam belts, water pump etc.

Got motor back together and back in the hole

P1060253_zpsf0340db7.jpg

The new addition to the engine bay is power steering (and the spaghetti exhaust)

P1060247_zps3f0eff25.jpg

Got it running and took it for a test hoon. Without setting the timing, idle air and tps it goes very well. Hard to gauge if it is better than the old DOHCa but is pretty awesome down low.

And the best news is....... IT NO LONGER SMOKES!

BUT, it wasnt all good news. There was a coolant leak at the back of the motor somewhere. Couldnt see where it was coming from so I had to pull the motor back out   -_-

Turns out one of the frost plugs had a hole in it. Offending frost plug replaced and the engine is back in the hole hopefully for the last time. Didnt get a chance to run it tonight. Will take it for a thrash tomorrow.

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Time to bring this thing out of hibernation. 

My wheels were looking very sad as my dog found it enjoyable to piss on them which made the average paint job I gave them a while ago flake off and start to rust.

Decided to refurb them by having them sandblasted and powdercoated. 

I got the tyres stripped and rims dropped off to Malcolm at Spraywell Industries in East Tamaki - Recommended by Cletus and Threeonthetree.

I didnt get any 'before' pics but here they are all done

IMG_3818_zps544c552b.jpg

IMG_3819_zps9ebc6a97.jpg

The old trim rings I had were all curbed and rusty. All four of them were different. Bought some new trim rings. Thanks Jarrod

IMG_3820_zps2bf30efe.jpg

Started polishing the centre caps. Had a few to chose from. 

IMG_3822_zps7db979f7.jpg

Ive just found that one of my rims are leaking where they have been widened. Sand blasting must have opened up a hole. Im just gonna get a tube put in to fix it.

Took it for a hoon to work this week and runs so well. Took it for a WOF and passed. Im hoping to take it to the drags next sunday and see what it does. I just wanna pop some skids!

Heres an over-processed photo. Need to give it a clean.

IMG_3839_zps37f8196b.jpg

• Like 7

Decided to fix the leaky steelie following Cletus' instructions. 

Took it to a tyre shop yesterday to remove the tyre.

Found the little pin hole

20140426_134109_zpsrggnzcan.jpg

I put my air gun up to it to see if it would bubble up on the other side, which it did.

Drilled the hole out a bit

20140426_144646_zps9hmjdeuo.jpg

And put some Selleys Metal Cement in the hole

20140427_093801_zpst1amug73.jpg

Let it set overnight.

Fitted the tyre up this morning and BOOM, no more leaky leaky

20140427_103127_zpsuc7bbuv0.jpg

Now to pray for good weather next Sunday

• Like 3

20140503_134918_zpsxvvlvzxi.jpg

So this is what happens when you leave your rottweiler unattended in the garage and you forget to wind the windows up in your car.

Its a miracle the dog is still alive...

I was so angry because id never be able to find another wagon seat, especially in this colour.

Many months go by with me constantly searching the usual websites for parts till just recently I found the cream wagon on Turners damaged auctions. 

Long story short - I payed WAAAAAAY too much for a hideous back seat

TADAH!

20140503_141709_zpshov1m1fs.jpg

• 7 months later...

Not much going on with this car. Its actually been off the road for a while.

Entered the annual Oldschool Drag Day this year which meant I had to get it road legal again.

Took it for a WOF and failed on pitman arm. Purchased a new pitman arm and fitted new ball joints whilst I was at it.

20141123_113355_zpszasponla.jpg

20141123_114820_zpsvrfalgxx.jpg

Needless to say, they needed replacing.

Obtained the drag pass

20141207_171130_zpsbcwgox3m.jpg

So now to install this

20141207_171053_zpsjg4lat5v.jpg

So I can do some of these

10245547_10152847816048677_7429265232934

Lets hope the weathers fine!

• Like 3