Oftensideways Mazda B1600

discuss viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22938

hey guys,

This is my B1600 that i've been working on for the past few months. I bought the ute off a guy who had a different idea about than i did haha, it had orange racing stripes down the bonnet and roof and the stripes you can see on the side, had a bright red grill and an exhaust stack up the back window. i layed some shitty black over the bonnet and and roof to try get rid of abit of the orange. I put the cab and engine onto a b1600 chassis i had for a little while that i started to c notch and had the idea of putting coilovers in it and making it as low as possible. ended up putting air bags into it as i got them for 400 for the lot new. i made up an adapter to fit tyre valves into the bag so will effectively work just like a spring and will not be adjustable, so will be low all the time just the way they should be! ute is still drum brakes all round so will upgrade those once i get it goin for abit and decide what engine should go into it. ute will be my daily once again when its done. guna paint rims black, finish tray in stained decking timber and give it a paint at sum stage in a flat colour hopefully.

heres some pics before i pulled it apart.

sv400502.jpg

sv400501.jpg

sv400500.jpg

sv400499.jpg

sv400498.jpg

p1030536b.jpg

p1030534u.jpg

p1030531o.jpg

p1030530.jpg

p1030528lx.jpg

p1030527p.jpg

p1030526r.jpg

p1030525hp.jpg

p1030524i.jpg

p1030522w.jpg

chur boes!

edit* shit had to resize them as they were huge!

• 3 months later...

heres some more pics for you all, not a whole lot more to do now but would like to get it going before rotary summerdrags so I can take it to at least one event before I head to canada for there ski season. gave it a paint as you can see but need to respray the roof and bonnet as it reacted with the black that was underneath. got to finish the tray but you can see the bulk of it is done. made a nice long shifter with an old file handle, looks quite good i think. also need to finish painting the back wheels. needs a fuel tank and I'm trying to find some old army jerry cans to weld some fittings in and use them, what do you think?

thanks guys!

p1030989v.jpg

p1030990.jpg

p1030984.jpg

p1030991h.jpg

p1030992x.jpg

p1030988o.jpg

• 2 months later...

So, bit of progress on the old ute. had it already to start then turns out engine was seized in the bore, tried tow starting it but way to light in the rear. anyway thought flag that idea so bought a 3800 series 1 buick engine (sorry for stealing the idea jase) and 5 speed for 800. have it all mounted, almost all the wiring done (not in the piks), drive shaft is done fuels lines almost finished. the nicely painted chassis is now all covered in over spray and matt black from changing the mounts, doh! just need to finish off the extractors and then the exhaust and sort a radiator (hilux diesel looks good). was all coming together untill now as its in storage and i'm in canada for the winter skiing and driving snow groomers. looking forward to getting back to get it on the road.

p1040077ge.jpg

p1040079r.jpg

p1040080z.jpg

p1040081y.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

bit of a no pic update. was getting close to getting this thing done but engine has one hell of a rattle/bearing noise, kinda lost the motivation on it so went back to another one of my projects. will be back at this soon. need to update the front drums to disks and still to finish off the tray and wiring. might just go do a burnout and (try) kill it then buy another engine haha. only problem is as i'm aware being a s1 manual v6 it needs to be replaced with the same or use a flywheel adaptor i think.