isnowi's brumby

isnowi

It's about time i put some pictures up seeing as i have had it for about a month.

p1000737q.jpg

It's an 86, relatively rust free, a little bit at the base of the a pillars, and one hole in the tray, otherwise it's pretty solid.

p1000730g.jpg

p1000733q.jpg

p1000734f.jpg

p1000735o.jpg

p1000736j.jpg

Some one has installed an ea82 at some point and it has subsequently died, for some reason it didn't like having 8 odd litres of water mixed in with the oil. Bearings were toast.

p1000731m.jpg

p1000741.jpg

The cost of rebuilding the ea82 would IMO be an absolute waste of money so i opted for an ej20, i was originally going to get an ej22 but the only one up at pickapart had 250 odd km on it, and there was an ej20 in an HX impreza with a lot less km's, plus the later ej20 has the same power and more torque than the early ej22.

p1000740m.jpg

p1000739m.jpg

The motor will be getting the stock dizzy and carb from an ej18 legacy (in the mean time) to get it up and runnign and on the road, further down the track i will throw some idfs at it.

So far i have ditched the old motor, cleaned the engine bay, ripped the interior out, and gathered parts.

p1000738.jpg

p1000732.jpg

Scored a set of leather GT legacy seats, adapting them at the moment,

p1000722.jpg

also scored a wrx nardi wheel, will see if it has the right splines to fit.

p1000743.jpg

I'm on the look out a carpet for it, i'm not sure if any brumbies came out with carpet, this one had vinyl that has stuck to the floor and was torn when i took it out. Otherwise i'll look at grabbing some carpet out of a legacy or leone and cutting it to fit.

Cheers, Dan

Pictureless update FTL :rolleyes:

seats should be in this weekend, steering wheel will take some more doing, splines are wrong so i have removed splined section from original wheel will try to fit it to nardi wheel, has proved trickier than i though it would, nardi had steel spline section cast into alloy to form steering wheel base, have removed it now, just need to work out a way of locking the brumby spline section into the alloy base. hmm

Also waiting on price from laser cutter for gearbox adaptor, anyone got hookups for a laser cutter in wellington?

I'm itching to get the motor together and in so that i can attack the rust...

Finally got seat brackets welded up, test fit these weekend, also should pick up my adaptor plate tomorrow, so could be an engine in the hole this weekend.

In other news the carb dizzy etc that i bought of a dude up north turned out to not be a carb at all, it was an SPFI TB Doh!! :rolleyes: so back to the drawing board on that one.

After about 93 attempts i finally got the seat bracket for the driver seat right, no pics as it got too late, but i did pic up this little pearler on friday, p1000777w.jpg adaptor plate so i can bolt the ej motor up to the ea box. Hope to have motor in the hole next weekend...

• 2 weeks later...

Righto,

Got the seats in, pretty sweet, not many brumby's with leather i bet.

Also heatgunned all the plastics to try and recover some of the colour, still on the lookout for some nice clean ones.

Adaptor plate is all finished, and i should have the flywheel back this week. Also the stock 'carb' maniflod and dizzy i bought turned out to be a SPFI throttle body, the wrong manifold and a cap and rotor only :x so i've lined up some idf's instead, going for 36's for the low down oomph, being a 2 litre, 40's are probably what is recommended for maximum power, but we'll see how the 36's do.

Pics to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Righto, it seems it's 3 steps forward 4 steps back at the moment.

p1000798v.jpg

I've got the flywheel fitted up, adaptor plate fitted and dowelled, replaced the rear main and went to put the motor in the hole. For some reason i decided to check the distributor drive on the end of the camshaft, the one that is on all ej motors, surprise surprise no distributor drive...

p1000797x.jpg

p1000800v.jpg

So now i have to work out if i can get something that will drive off these two offset holes, which are only about 3mm deep, or if i can work out an ignition system that doesn't require a dizzy. I'm thinking that by using the crank angle sensor and/or the cam angle sensor that i can get one of the jaycar HEI kits to run spark. Anyone else done similar?

Also got a pair of these to tidy up and make a manifold for.

p1000804.jpg

p1000803v.jpg

And finally a pic of the GT seats in the car, shows just how little the cab is..

p1000799q.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some forward progress,

Finished rebuilding one of my carbs, after a slight throttle spindle mishap i got it all back together and seemingly working ok.

Got the motor in the hole, replaced the rear main seal before i plonked it in, want to try and avoid taking it all out again any time soon.

17042010006.jpg

17042010008.jpg

Made a new 'hub' for my wrx steering wheel and got that mounted up, far sweeter than the original, and matches the seats nicely.

17042010003.jpg

I did have one step back today, it involved the ripping of both inner cv boots, in lifting the gearbox up to bolt the engine on, cv the boots were stretched to breaking point, better to happen now while they are relatively accessable i suppose.

17042010010.jpg

Apologies for phone pics, will get some better ones when i head back down to hopefully fit a dissy, i'm going to try and modify the ea82 dissy to work on this motor, it's nice and compact, it has the ignitor and everything inside.

• 1 month later...

Some small progress, still waiting on some bits to show up at pickapart.... :rolleyes:

In light of not being able to find a dizzy to fit the ej20, i am going to go injected, using stock comp, loom etc from a legacy. Carbs can be for later on maybe.

I have managed to find some 14" wheels NOS, along with a matched pair of headlight surrounds, 1 NOS the other needed a polish up, still need to find a good corner light lens for the passenger side.

05062010001h.jpg

I'll hopefully have some tyres before too long, and then i can get an idea of how much lift looks best.

The 27's will fill the guards a bitt better than the little 13's on it at the moment..

05062010a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So after an early explosion of enthusiasm, i realised that i had the wrong motor to begin with, and aside from that i found a fulltime 4wd 5 speed dual range box with lockable centre diff. So i sourced a donor car and proceeded to rip the motor and as many bits as i think i'll need out of it (i'm sure i'll have missed something)

After all that things are starting to move now. First part of the lift is in, going for a 3" lift to begin with on 27" tyres.

p1010133ck.jpg

p1010134nd.jpg

Gearbox xmember blocks in place.

p1010135n.jpg

Engine xmember blocks in place.

p1010136g.jpg

Your doing it wrong..... reduced ground clearance until strut blocks go in (hopefully this weekend.

p1010138w.jpg

New motor getting some TLC

p1010137w.jpg

New gearbox just waiting...

p1010139n.jpg

The carnage....

• 1 month later...

Right so small update time.

Strut blocks are in, though i have a slight clearance issue with the strut tower, may need to make another set of blocks with less offset between top and bottom mount holes, the consequence of this is that i will end up with more positive camber, and i personally think it is borderline as it is.

Little wheel looks stoopid now that its lifted.

p1010159mp.jpg

Engine and gearbox is in at this point, so it won't be going much lower.

p1010160b.jpg

EJ22 and full-time awd gearbox in its final position

p1010161w.jpg

Front on shows the positive camber...

p1010158k.jpg

So onwards and upwards, still to do:

-fuel pump and wiring/plumbing

-loom

-interior carpets

-rear lift blocks

-rust

-exhaust

-drive-shaft centre bearing mount, anyone know if a centre bearing counts as a driveshaft hoop?

• 1 month later...

Little bit of progress, working on cars is a bit tough at the moment, courtesy of 2 cracked ribs and a bruised up wrist.

Got 4 matched tyres and wheels for the first time in ages..

Still haven't lifted the rear :rolleyes: maybe this weekend.

p1010552d.jpg

These fill out the guards a bit better than the old 13's.

p1010553l.jpg

In other news my centre console is now one colour instead of the 3 it was before (dark grey, light grey, blue) i dyed it all black, came out mint and looks pretty sweet with the dark grey legacy seats and dark grey dash.

Still need to sort some carpets out, i grabbed the one out of the legacy i wrecked to try and modify it to fit, but it looks to have a few too may bulges in it to get it looking good. May bite the bullet and order one from the dude up north...

• 2 weeks later...

So i finally got the rear lift blocks in, evened things out a bit, now i need to either find some longer shocks or make up some extension brackets.

p230910132801.jpg

Got the steering extension sorted, used 2 halves from a brighton legacy, no welding or heat involved which should keep the cert man happy.

p230910132803.jpg

Ran a new fuel return line, just need to mount the 2 pumps and surge tank and it should be close to running...

p230910132802.jpg

• 3 months later...

Righto,

I decided not to piss about with the stock radiator, and got a new two row one made up, will run twin 10" pusher fans on the front, one controlled by the ecu, the other via the original brumby fan switch.

p1010872.jpg

Also finished up the mods to the leone centre console, now resplendant with diff lock switch and AWD sticker (bit beat up would like a nice new one but way down the list.

p1010875ny.jpg

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Radiator and fans mounted.

p1010891e.jpg

Engine bay wiring all but finished.

p1010892as.jpg

Dash wiring not quite so finished.... :rolleyes:

p1010898fy.jpg

Driveshaft loop (1 of 2)

p1010901u.jpg

Centre bearing mount.

p1010900s.jpg

Fuel system.

p1010902c.jpg

Rust.

p1010894l.jpg

And Rust,

p1010896.jpg

And some more rust.

p1010897.jpg

Higher res video of running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSXdwqarHa0

Got the power steering all sorted, think i need new front shocks though :( might track down something longer and run some super soft progressive springs (or coilover springs with extra long helpers) to get some negative travel/sag.

p1010906b.jpg

Anyone got a spare set of front struts for a peugeot 405? it looks like they are very close to what i need, but i need to find out the diameter of the strut where it goes into the hub.

• 1 month later...

So i decided to build some new front suspension whilst it's in bits for rust repair.

I started with pre facelift E30 struts.

p1010987.jpg

removed some extraneous metal.

p1010989b.jpg

Springs and top caps i will be using.

p1010992v.jpg

Mocked up:

p1010991e.jpg

Still waiting on spring perch's, and a couple of laser cut brackets then i will tig the whole lot together and fit the spherical tophats, hopefully resulting in negative camber and a decent amount of caster along with about 60mm more negative travel, and 30mm more positive travel.

• 4 weeks later...