Solidstripe's 1973 VW Beetle

solidstripe

Discusion thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21759

Thought I thought I'd try something different this time and got me a bug!

DSC00670.jpg

DSC00672.jpg

DSC00674.jpg

Tis a 1300, but is running a rebuilt 1600 and it just purrs! Like hands down the best handling, fastest, and comfyest OS car I've ever had. Gets up the Kaimais (going to Tauranga) in top gear (4th) no problems at all. Quick enough off the mark and handles like a odd-shaped go kart. Gets a bit blown around by trucks being so light but it's all good.

Has a few little bits to tidy up, a few rust spots, front bumper needs rechorming or replacing - but all in all, it's a great, simple little car. I can't believe how great they are, totally underestimated them.

Stage one of the master plan is tidy up the few rust spots. Then add a pinch of roof racks ASAP followed by a healthy dash of rake (still deciding weather lay-back tail scrapper or staunch forward). Going to replace the tape deck with a cd player for some tunes.

After that we'll see what happens.

Stoke!

• 2 weeks later...

Update time:

It's booked in to go get some spots of rust removed early next month (it's along the front boot seams so I thought I'd get a professinal to do it, cause I don't want it coming back)

Also got some goodies for it:

Got this for $10 off trademe

DSC00694.jpg

they need to be chopped to fit though, which I'm going to be doing in about half an hour. Going to regalve them then powdercoat em white.

Also got a short shift kit

DSC00685.jpg

And some factory front seats ($8 each!) to replace the yuck ones that are in there at the moment. Going to get the cusioned and reupholstered. Also got a fancy mooneyes tacho, yeahaaa.

DSC00693.jpg

And took the cd player out of the van and put it in here so have some tunes now

Just installed the Empi short shift kit. Makes a huge difference and totally recommend them to anyone running a VW. They are only like $17 or so. Took a few goes to get it working right and choping through the gears properly, because of the spring and reverse lock out plate (didn't realise the spring had to go on top). But yeah, got it sorted and works well. Just trying to figure out what to do with the dash to fit the tacho.

• 3 weeks later...

Why howdy y'all! Got the beast back from the panel beaters this avo, now with no rust in the front cut! If you look closely at the first pic in this thread, y'all will see some rust in the front panel down the bottom, and there was some in the front channels under the bonnet. Should of taken some before/after pics but forgot, meh. But it's got some new channels and apparently had a bit o' rust around the front headlights and the top of the bonnet. But all is removed and looking good!

DSC00730.jpg

DSC00728.jpg

DSC00727.jpg

Stoked! Just a little bit in the hinges and passengers door and she'll be right as rain!

Also went and got my roof racks hot-dipped galved and powdercoated, got them back today as well:

DSC00736.jpg

And got me some essentials. Drink holders! Randomly found these, and score, they look wicked. Never seen any like this before, genius! Just slot em down the window chanels.

DSC00735.jpg

(Don't drink and drive!)

And one more pic for the road:

DSC02314.jpg

• 1 month later...

After months of driving near-blind over the Kaimais to see the GF all the time, and scaring myself witless with the lack of headlight vision at night, I thought a headlight upgrade was a must.

Got some sweet 7" halo projector lights with H2 (or was it 4?) bulbs to replace the stock ones.

Notice the diff?

DSC00820.jpg

And added bonus of parkers being, I'd say rice, but since it's german, it's a bit sourkraut. But hey, it's blue.

DSC00823.jpg

Also got the tacho moving wired up, couldn't find a hole in the rear firewall so ran the signal wire through the rear wheel arch for the time being lol.

Yay for low revs:

DSC00822.jpg

Big thanks to Ham for being the sparkey from 'nam (or lynwood at least) Cheers bro!

• 4 months later...

Bit of a nothing much update to get some motor-vation going:

Have been having some problems with the engine feeling slugish lately, stalling at lights/stops while in neutral, hesitations, no tourqe down below 2,000rpm (and it doesn't rev high, redlines at like 4,000rpm normally lol) so have had a very narrow rev range as of late. So gave the engine a bit of love today and woah! It's like new! Nice power delivery now, so smooth, no hesitations. It's like when I first brought it, and is sounding good. Think the distributor might not be tight and might be twisting around slightly over time and retarding it. But tis all fixed now, so I'm a happy camper.

Replaced the front headlight bulbs with replacement H4 bulbs for a WoF, but the drivers side high beam keeps blowing imediatly. The parkers and normal driving lights work fine, but yeah, any ideas what could cause it? Because they are expensive lil things to replace.

Also, insperation photoshop:

asdfaaaa.jpg

Also have been thinking about a pop out rear quarter window conversion, has anyone done this to a late/super?

• 10 months later...

Wow, this hasn't been updated in forever! So here's the run down on the latest happenings, with photo's to come when I get a camera:

Had the rust cut out professionaly of the rear section around the vents and then failed a wof on a spot of rust in the floor pan where the battery had leaked. Not wanting it to come back, I got a brand new half pan put in at the VW Shoppee in Hamilton where I now live. So that was a couple of thousand, yay.

Also put a sweet external visor on and painted it white.

Still puts a smile on my dial aye...

• 3 months later...

Howdy peeps!! Put a set of EMPI headers into twin EMPI mufflers the other week with the help of viv's hands. Finally got a digital photo taking machiene and thought I'd upload some pics:

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

And since I have a wedding coming up next month, thought I would throw in a free plug since it's for sale :(

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 598596.htm