cubastreet's 81 brumbies

I just bought my second '81 Subaru Brumby.

The very last of the old round headlight subies, the first with the 1800 EA81 engine and dual range 4WD.

The new one's on the left, I've had the right one for 3 or 4 years.

I've done some upgrades to the old one over the years. I'll transfer these over to the new one after a bit of resto work.

The new one's in better nick all round.

current/soon to be done mods:

weber carb

massive 14" rally rims

halogen headlights

viscous slippery in the rear

I have a pair of big valve heads I've done minor work on which I'll throw on. Major limit is that ports are siamese int+exhaust.

other planned mods:

upgrade solid disk/drum to vented disk/solid disk front/rear off turbo leone

upgrade gearbox to AWD/4WD instead of current FWD/4WD

still seriously considering:

Eaton M45 supercharger from a mini.

love to but probably won't:

adjustable ride height. It rides and handles pretty well, but would obviously handle better on the road if it was lower. I love driving it offroad/gravel road though so don't want to sack it.

BrumbyTwins.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the hubs/rotors/calipers I need for the vented fronts, $50 delivered. Nice.

Hotrod guy at work has convinced me I need to supercharge it. Or did I convince him to supercharge his bucket?

gonna keep it oldschool and run a suck through carb setup. Obviously that means no intercooler and mild boost but should go good.

the m45s seem to be less common and more pricey on the ebay uk market since the minis swapped to turbs motors a year or two ago. There used to be heaps available with very low mileage. Might just go toyota sc12 route as there's heaps and they're cheap.

Got my workshop - a shipping container. Getting it wired up and will build benches/shelves etc over the next couple of weeks.

• 1 year later...

Has it been that long since an update?

Did plenty of welding on the new one, and now it's my daily. Drove it to Auckland last weekend. It didn't miss a beat and came back with a door stencil.

steam.jpg

It's got a roll bar now too, and impreza seats mounted on the original rails.

Today I got new front strut inserts for $30+ each!

PB223400.jpg

While I was in the hutt I thought I'd pick up these too:

EA5speed front case, EJ FWD (lower) gears and AWD transfer case.

PB223403.jpg

and matching viscous rear

PB223396.jpg

Should keep me busy for a bit. 5 gears will definitely help too.

• 3 years later...

Thought it was about time for an update...

I went overseas to work a bit in late 2011. I parked the brumby up and decided last summer to give it a minor refresh.

Ran out of money and/or motivation, so it sat under a tarpaulin all last winter. 

Got stuck back into it this summer.

Stripped back the front end and repainted the front valence, guards, doors etc.

IMG_20140315_111644_zps26042fe6.jpg

made up a front bumper from an old farm gate style bullbar.

IMG_20140328_155414_zpsf6c6a046.jpg

My friend was scrapping his mondeo so I scored the heated leather seats. With a bot of work I was able to bolt them to the original rails. soooooo comfy!

It was always a bit of a struggle to fit my legs under the huge steering wheel, so when I found this slightly smaller momo at the dump shop for $5 I snapped it up.

Took a while to find the boss kit as subaru changed it soon after, but it was worth it.

IMG_20140328_155445_zpse4872efa.jpg

The worst rust was in the bonnet. 

IMG_20140417_095819_zpseea22e2b.jpg

So I replaced it with steel.

IMG_20140419_140736_zpsc09dd8e4.jpg

I replaced the brake fluid, took it for a test drive and all seems well. I haven't driven anything oldschool in the meantime and it definitely feels a bit weird. 

I still have the 5sp RX box etc and I'm keen to fit that and make the engine breathe a bit better but I'll probably wait until I have a proper workshop. For now I just want to drive it!

I can't find the old discussion thread, so if you have anything to say, say it here

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/43229-cubastreets-brumby/

• 2 months later...