FuzzayD's 1975 vauxhall magnum

FuzzayD

Throw back?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Throw back?

• Throw it away
    • Restore it

Hi I've never tried an older car before but I hit my head and got the idea that playing with this thing would be fun.

It's a 1975 Vauxhall Viva magnum with a Mazda 1300cc SOHC carb motor certified. 5 speed torana box apparently.

Mainly got it because it was a cheap RWD manual car.

From what i was told it sat under a tree for about 5 years until a year or two ago when the tree fell on it

As expected its full of bugs moss and did not start.

After wearing all my New safety gear and standing in front of it with my nice unused tools for 3 days the engine finally gave in and decided to start.

The next thing to get into is wiring the dash and then realizing there's too much rust to salvage it.

So far all I've looked at is the area in one of the wheel arches where its so bad i can't tell the rust from the dirt.

Please if anyone has any tips or sites to link to me because i have no idea how to get these bolt less panels off and have never successfully rust repaired to date any help is appreciated

These are the images from the auction i bought the car off. Great trade.

Voxel.jpg

voxel3.jpg

voxel2.jpg

voxel1.jpg

Comment at

http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19440

Have setup my own wee wiring system which just powers the coil and then a push button for the starter problem is need to have the key turned to accesory to use the lights and what not and turning the key to accesory seems to dissable the push to start and if turned while the car is running seems to lower the idle speed some type of short to ground i think and maybe the altenators being bypassed somewhere, almost all the relays and wiring joins are corroded to no return so looks like im going to have to rewire it all to get the electrics right (some one home wiring jobs have made it impossible to just copy the existing wiring and my multimeter broke) just a shame i don't know what i'm doing. Any tips on custom wiring or links to info would be appreciated.

DSCF0103.jpg

Kicked out the dent on bonnet Steering coupling came unhooked when i went round the block and the ride hight seems to have sunken on the right side of the car. Before that i pinched a camera and took photos and i put tape on the lights coz it looks cool

DSCF0104.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been busy but I've gotten a couple of things sorted out.

Like some new bits to stick in

DSCF0138.jpg

A front subframe from an R31 skyline will go in at some stage once i have decided on a new engine to put in the frame. And also a little wee 3tc factory lsd diff think its 3.23 but I'm not sure.

and I've started making my own male molds for some custom fiberglass panels

DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0139.jpg

Just don't know what specs the new wings will need to meet for the wof man.

Had a few problems. I put my glass mat on a sheet of plastic and then resined it up put glad wrap over the top and rolled out the excess resin after the glass mat had become clear problem was when i whent to peel off the glad wrap sheet it peeled about half the glass mat with it but left the other half on the other sheet so i just squished the bottome sheet of plastic to the mold and left it there over night next day just as i expected parts of the guard contained no glass just a thin layer of resin. I learnt a bit from this attempt finding out a couple of other things that will make my next attemp a bit easier. Shame i can't reuse the mold as the resin leaked through the tap and dissolved it and as it did it seem to make the glass guard shrink and deform as it does not quite fit the car

DSCF0145.jpg

DSCF0146.jpg

Doesn't look as bad as i thought actually looks like i could get some really good results if i put a bit more time into it. And if future attempts dont work i can just rivet this piece onto the dented guard. Also noticed i lined up the mold to the door when the door wasn't lined up. Hopefully this weekend i can have 2 straight days to spend on it instead of an hours each day before work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...