PlasticDash's '86 EX Starion

Discuss viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18595

About time I posted this eyesore up.

1986 EX Starion with twincam conversion, It's always finding something expensive to break.

Usual fruity bits with koni coilovers (wound way up into the sky so i can get up my driveway)

Image095-1.jpg

have owned it for over 3 years now.

img_0527.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

will post some better newer pics soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Yet again the gasket between the manifold and turbo has failed on the starion . this is gasket number 4 to fail. It is a factory mitsi multilayer metal gasket

I am sick of this problem, surfaces are flat (have been planed after gasket 2 failed) ,bolts are lockwired and lock tabbed down to stop movement (and had not come undone). but there was movement between turbo and manifold where either bolts had stretched or gasket had got thinner due to failure

I will replace bolts with new ones, and also add some shake-proof lock washers

Failed gasket

IMG_1017.jpg

Picture of gasket and what holds it on (due to manifold design space is an issue for bolts/nuts)

IMG_1018.jpg

Picture of gasket on manifold (gasket hole is matched same size as turbo.) should probably match up the manifold too

IMG_1022.jpg

also the manifold to head had come loose on the top bolts only (one stud broke under no force)

maybe i am hanging too much weight off the head ?

So some more to fix!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Car specs as follows. As I brought it pretty much as it is (apart from rebuild susp, and the usual consumables like tyres, wiring, hoses, and a good tidy up and re plumbing of bov and wastegate) - and had it converted to Powersteer

Engine - 4G63 starion bottom and block. 4g63 twin cam head - cams stock. inlet manifold cut and shut, early evo intercooler, Larger unknown Precision Turbo on tube manifold of rather poor design IMO , exh wastegate (plumbed in) , Urethane engine mounts , quiet , rather restrictive (and legal) 2.5" exhaust. old as autronic ecu. bosch 944 pump, larger inj, FPR , Bov (with shut the F**k up filter on it)

Drive train - std big LSD diff with 3.545 ratio and 5 speed box. 3 puck with low clamping force (the 8 puck one it had when I got it, (that I ruined) was much better)

Susp - Adj height/ damper Coil overs made from std susp with Koni Inserts , urethane bushes and larger front swaybar

Interior - worn in a few spots, has USA "TSI" spec seats/door trims .

Wheels - Simmons in need of a real good split and cleanup

Brakes - std 4 stud type rears (changed from 5 stud factory), fronts early evo callipers and discs on std 4 std hubs (can be made to fit !) . stop ok when warm- but pads are rooted ATM .need replacement

Sounds - Brethren spec !

To Do (wishlist)

I have bellhousing to fit s5 rx7 gearbox to motor. (mitsi box shitty at high rpm shifts)

I have 4.625 ratio cogs (for diff that is due for freshen up anyway) - would rather a 4.222 thou

New brake pads - carbotech xp6's?

short shifter for current mitsi box

new intercooler (similar size)

free up exhaust whilst maintaining legal and not homo 4g63 sound

Fix/Tidy nightmare wiring.

Plumb in Bov.

• 3 months later...

Righto. have got the exh manifold on with copper gasket.

coppergasketon1.jpg

Now wanting to make a simple brace for the exh manifold. (between the 2 circled fastners)

turbobrace1-1.jpg

only issue is that i think the heat transfer may damage the engine mount, what do you think ?

There is a factory engine mount heat shield that i will have to cut a hole in too

enginemountshield1.jpg

Also shiny copper gasket !

coppergasket1.jpg

modded allen key . can only just do up turbo fasters. damn tight.

allenkey1.jpg