R100's vtec turbo 1966 Morris 1100

R100

Just started this project last week so not much progress yet.

After seeing a pic on here some where of a vtech powered Morris i had to have one.

Picked up this very tidy 1966 Morris with a genuine 34000 miles on the clock, great start to my project as the cars in very good condition.

The last owner had run it out of oil or overheated it and it didnt run.

So far ive removed the engine and box and today i purchased a complete 1997 Honda Domani as a donor to my Morris for its new engine and 5speed box.

Spent the afternoon removing the engine from the honda.

The engine is a fuel injected Sohc vtech (D15B) which produces 130hp stock. Ive chosen the singlecam engine because of space limitations in the engine bay.

I plan to fit a turbo if theres enough room, but wont know till after i have the engine mounted.

Will try keep updating pics.

Discussion thread here > viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17225&p=393000&hilit=vtec+morris#p393000

morris_003_4357.jpg

morris_002_1976.jpg

morris_001_59.jpg

Well yeah i let all the fluid out of the smellydrolastic suspension yesturday to remove the front subframe.

Befor...

morris006gz2.jpg

After...

morris008yu1.jpg

You cant beat the look of a slammed out old school car !!

Im seriuosly going to consider air bags in this.

morris009hm5.jpg

Front subframe comming out, this is going to need some seriuos cutting/modifying to get the Honda engine to fit.

morris010mt3.jpg

Empty engine bay looks real big with no subframe or suspension components. If i have to cut to much steel away from the original subframe i may consider building a tube front, similar to a drag car.

morris013we8.jpg

Subframe on the bench getting ready to strip off suspension components.

morris014ur1.jpg

Cut subframe up today and bolted in the rear half (the part that holds the suspension) then dropped engine in to check clearances.

Looks like i will need to cut a heap more away yet.

morris029fr6.jpg

If you look close you will see the honda CV needs to move back approx 50mm. At the moment the rear of the gearbox is hitting on the subframe. I can get it to sit back further with a little more grinding i think.

morris027kz8.jpg

morris026mm4.jpg

Pretty close on this side too (passenger LHS)

morris025hs0.jpg

Going to remove this bulge from the bulk head to give more clearance for manifold.

morris028ln8.jpg

The hight the engine is sitting below is pretty much the hight it will be sitting at. The bottom of the sump is inline with the bottom of the floor.

Good clearance in front of the motor for a turbo as well, not much room for anything else tho.

morris024jf7.jpg

Not much interesting happended yesturday, still trying to get the engine to fit nicely.

Had to cut a chunk out of the firewall to allow the intake manifold to clear. Also cut the subframe up a bit more. Engine is now sitting about where i want it. CV's are linning up and looks as tho ill have more room in my engine bay than i first thought.

Below is the top view of the hole ive cut, intake manifold fits nicely now.

morris001gq0.jpg

And from under the dash.

morris003ef7.jpg

Below pic shows CV's now linning up better now, not quite where i want them yet.

morris004tw1.jpg

Engine just didnt quite fit so needed to chop out inner guard. If it was 15mm shorter it may of fit. Will not interfear with wheel tho.

morris005ro0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy on other projects last week so not much progress to look at. I did however buy a new engine as the one i had was a D15B vtec-e which is the red headed child of the honda family of vtecs, not a true vtec as we know it as it was designed as an ecomony engine. It also has a smaller intake manifold and produces 105hp stock. The gearbox it was mated too has "economy" gearing, with long ratios for highway cruzing. Nooooo Goood.

My new engine a true vtec with 130hp stock and matching 5 speed.

Purchased a TD04 turbo for aswell.

Old engine and new black top engine below.

trademe09048.jpg

trademe09047.jpg

picture001qvt.jpg

• 5 months later...

Been a while since i last posted but have made some progess on it.

New subframe now fabricated with Engine and gearbox now mounted in place.

Car is back on its wheels and rolling.

Had a turbo mounted in there for a while but decided to keep in N/A as the engine bay looks much cleaner without turbo pipes and intercooler etc.

This project has been painstakinglystressfull. What a friggin mission. Not what i first thought.

But ill just keep plugging away at it till its finished.

trademejuly081.jpg

trademejuly082.jpg

trademejuly084.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...