Toyabusa's Hayabusa Starlet build,race,break,repeat thread

toyabusa

This is my rally/hillclimb/track/whatevers on car.

1982 Toyota Starlet

ENGINE :2005 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R engine and 6spd g/box. toyota K40 g/box ( reverse )

SUSPENSION: Front- standard starlet front struts, KYB inserts,starndard springs ( dirt ), cut springs ( tarmac ).

Rear- KYB shocks, kingsprings super lows ( dirt ) Cut springs ( tarmac )

DIFF: Nissan c20 van, shortened housing, standard starlet mounts, 3.5:1 ratio

BRAKES: Front- Nissan bluebird single piston calipers and disks

Rear- Starle front calipers, bluebird disks

Willwood balance bar and twin master cylinders

INTERIOR: MANZ 6point rollcage

Jamex seats

Jazz fuel cell in alloy housing, surge tank. mounted inside right behind seats

Alloy door panels and dash

OMP china steering wheel

TYRES: Silverstone FTZ RR 205 60 13 Tarmac Dunlop 165 70 13 Gravel

CCF14012007_00001.jpg

100_9454.jpg

I bought the car wen I was 16 as a way back into motorsport after racing karts for a few years wen i was younger then having a break from racing mainly due to the cost of karting getting out of control.

when i got it it was flat white and pretty rough but did have a demon 4k on 45 sidieys.

I did every club event I could on appreticse wages befor a good friend of my dad turned up at home one day asking if we wanted to paint it CAT yellow to match his new venture the Caterpiller Experience here in Rotorua

Wanting to freshen the engine at the same time i pulled it down and got to work.

before long it got out of control and i was building a quad throttle bodied beast with 12:1 comp and link ECU. on the dyno it made 70kw atw from 1300cc and went pretty good.

000_0355.jpg

The injected engine was going really well and was 1st 2wd home at a lot of events but a second place to a starlet with a hayabusa engine at a big 1300cc field in maramarua was enough to convince me it was the way to go ( i had wonderd about bike engines for a while but was never sure enough to risk it )

a week later a crashed 04/05 busa was in the shed getting reved and skidded until the day came to dive in.

with some chocks of wood, steel and a MIG dad and I got it underway

100_9325.jpg

The start of the alloy housing for the jazz fuel cell as required by MANZ

000_0354.jpg

Fuel cell finished, this is my dads handiwork, I think its awesome, the tubes are the overflow and the breather.

000_0425.jpg

000_0442.jpg

big hollow where fuel tank was

100_9479.jpg

so i made a diffuser

100_9489.jpg

100_9490.jpg

fibreglass doors and front clip for tarmac

100_9501.jpg

painted and signwritten

100_9509.jpg

these are the paddles that worked the airshift setup i had on the car

100_9463.jpg

Air shift actuator on back of engine, this is attached to the original shift leaver that we welded a longer piece of alloy to. Below this is the steering rack,above the actuator is the water pump, above the pump and slightly to the right is the clutch slave cylinder ( you can see the banjo bolt going into it ) the slave used to be bolted inside the bracket but to make room for the driveshaft we mounted it outside ,made a longer push rod to suit and rotated it 180degrees.

To the right of the slave is the front driveshaft this bolts to the bike sprocket which we turned into a 4 bolt flange just like a diff pinion. The front driveshaft takes a very short and very angular route to a standard toyota k40 gearbox with the bell housing cut off and mounted further back in the car, the driveshaft has a starlet clutch hub inside it to drive the input shaft, it also has a couple of bearings so that the shaft can slide on the snout the clutch release bearing normally does, this allows for any movement between the engine and the k40 box. We run this gearbox in 4th gear all the time except when we use it for reverse, 4th is 1:1 ratio so its just like a straight through driveshaft.

From here its just a shortend driveshaft to the nissan diff.

You can buy a quaife reverse box but i couldnt afford one and had an excess of starlet boxes so thought we'd give this a try first, so far its without a doubt proven itself which is pretty impressive when you consider its getting fed output shaft torque after the busa g/box.

shift.jpg

air shift gave no trouble but when we first got the car up and running i was having a bad run with DNF's and decided it would be the nect thing to give trouble so got rid of it. Will get it back on at some stage but have got used to the shifter now and like it aswell.

this is how i setup the clutch,

100_9326.jpg

Have been making a new dash. The one it had was a broken piece of plastic shit and an ugly alloy plate that didnt fit anything holding gauges that werent hooked up anymore, so I have started again.

P2140102.jpg

P2140103.jpg

P2140104.jpg

want to block off the battery and wiring so will make sides like these and a center consol also.

its all 1.2mm alloy so its very light, will get swages put in to give it some stength and professional look. Just have to find somwhere else to get it done ( the swage in the dash took the last place 3 attempts!!! ) one day i will have a swager at home.

Did the clutch today. Bolts that hold the pressure plate and springs felt loose so thinking thats what started the minor slip if not the whole reason it was slipping.

P2170108.jpg

P2170109.jpg

Gave the steels a quick slap with the reconditioner.

Replaced fiber plates and replaced springs with heavyer ones.

Will be tested next sunday at hillclimb. ( 1.2km tarmac in Rotorua if anyones keen )

got the dash pretty much done, wanted to cover the top with swade fabric to stop glare on wind screen but cant find any anywhere so matt black for now. also going to find plastics that cover steering colum and ing switch.

P2190110.jpg

P2190111.jpg

Got it all fitting tight, pretty happy with the results.

P2200115.jpg

Next project is making a full length under tray, (this is looking from front). Will make it two piece till the diff and it will direct air to the diffuser behind diff.

P2200116.jpg

( front half looking from just behind front wheels)

P2200113.jpg

This is the driveline, on the left is the front driveshaft which bolts to the hayabusa output shaft and slides on the 4k box input splines at the other end, in the middle is the Parry reverse box and on the right is the driveshaft to the diff.

P2200114.jpg

This is the coupling that fits the input shaft splines ( you can see them poking through just to the right of the cross) and slides on a beefed up version of the snout the release bearing would normally run on.

Ngongotaha hillclimb was on sunday, got my undertray finished sat night.

was wet in the morning and the road is one which isnt used apart from for the hilclimb so coverd in moss and really slippery.

dryed out in the arvo and my fastest run was 59.4 sec, good enough for 3rd overall but 1.2sec off my class record i set at the previous round, not really sure what to put it down to ( cold road, not getting off the line well, shit driving, or my undertray lol) still got another round to go in march so there is hope of getting the 2wd record yet.

Plan on using the trackday to do some testing with tyre pressures, swaybars, backyard aero etc etc.

Have some spare axels comming so now im going to find somwhere to practice my starts which can make or break a good run on such a short event.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a trackday on Taupo's Track2 on friday.

Was really wet in the morning, car was very twitchy on the semi slicks ( i dont think they were designed to pump water ) swapped to some rally tyres on the back and couldnt belive the difference, they were really good.

exhaust broke just after 4into 2 collector so had to wear ear plugs lol.

In the next session seemed to not be pulling as hard as usual and then made a crazy noise and a big vibration followed by the oil light flickering, switched it off real fast.

pulled the plugs and no compression on no3 cylinder.

Got it home and set to work removing the head

P3060119.jpg

Found this- valves have hit the piston and piston has hit the head. ( thankfully not too bad, head and valves dont appear to be damaged )

P3060123.jpg

P3060126.jpg

This is where the real fun begins, removing the sump.

P3080129.jpg

This is not where no 3 rod should be

P3080132.jpg

And this is not how it should look

P3080133.jpg

P3080130.jpg

P3080131.jpg

Looks like it ran the bearing, locked up, broke the rod bolts then snapped the rod off under the piston and flew around a bit smashing an oil supply tube thats part of the crankcase. ( hopefully maybe with any luck the crackcase is salvagable ish )

• 2 years later...

So after this thing sitting for close to 3 years (man that has gone fast!) I finally have another engine and a few parts ready to make some noise again..

This is where it has sat, big thanks to Dad for giving it a massive polish before covering it up and storing it! Looks to have aged well

P1000892.jpg

I got this dry sump kit out from the UK, I liked the fact that there were minimal oil lines with the scavenge pump fitting directly into the sump pan with tubes and that it was "bolt on"........

P1000926.jpg

The new oil pickup tube supplied didn't measure up right to clamp up tight on the O-ring..........

Luckily I have a mate who has just got a brand new CNC and was able to machine up a new one, thanks man!

P1000917.jpg

The gold one supplied and our new one, the gold one being two piece was also of concern and I can only think there may be differences with some blocks requiring a washer to space the two halves to the correct length. Something I would rather not do

P1000922.jpg

drilled a small hole through the pickup bolts to lockwire them

P1000924.jpg

P1000927.jpg

Needed to find a place to fit an oil pressure sender for the new gauge, this bung was handy so it was drilled and tapped

P1000913.jpg

P1000915.jpg

These are the gauges, oil pressure and water temp. They have high and low warning lights you can adjust and peak recall (so you can can see how hot it got and how low the oil pressure was just before you blew it up)

P1000911.jpg

• 1 month later...