Driftit's BMW E30 M20B28 (2.8ltr) project

Guest Driftit

Guest Driftit

Well since I have rediscovered oldschool.co.nz I may aswell post up what I am doing to my E30 325i.

Picked up this car from a mate who purchased it from someone that is on this site. Have had it just over a year now and was meant to be my daily driver while the 180 gets the garage. Ended up the other way around.

325 has now done just over 300,000kms and was still going strong until one of the ecentrics ran out of adjustment for the worn out stock camshaft.

So rather than just putting it back together as a stock car I thought it would be better to look into what can be done to the M20B25 (2.5ltr) motor. After hunting through a few overseas forums I found that the best thing to do is increase the displacement. And on this motor it is dead easy!

All you require is the stock 325i block and pistons. 320 rods. And a 2.8ltr E36 (next shape up) crank. And few minor mods to the end of the crank and she slots right in with no mods. Even use the stock bearings all through the motor.

So I have already gathered the kinda hard to find 2.8 crank in mint condition. Already had some rods spare from my 320 race car.

I am now also converting the pre face lift 325's ecu and loom to the face lifts motronic 1.3 loom and ecu which is much better to chip and tune.

For the head I have decided to go for 1mm oversized intake and exhaust valves. A much more aggresive 288/288 cam and uprated valve springs to suite that setup. Will also look at stronger rockers to cope with it all as they are a weak link in the M20 head.

However the comp ratio does get lower which is great if you want to go turbo but I am way over all the turbo bullshit. I want some NA action now. So I have yet to find out if I am able to deck the block at all to increase comp. Will go over the numbers with the engine builder this week.

As for the headers I have yet to ask but I am sure he will help me out, Aj from Pit Stop in Greylynn will be asked to make me up some steampipe ones like on his Ute.

So I will start this all at the end of next week once I put my race cars motor back in and get it out of my workshop.

Here is the car anyway.

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

trackday0408218.jpg

f_IMG0593m_a017f7a.jpg

Car will not be used for Drifting or any of that bullshit as I am over that now :rolleyes::P . Am building it to be a little trackday warrior and fun twisty roader with the ability to drive from Howick to CBD everyday.

Will be taking a ton of photos of the motor build as I will create a M20B28 howto guide for the forums and bimmersport.

After that it is custom built coilovers from my mate at Racelign.