Solidstripes Mitsubishi Delica

solidstripe

Project discusion = viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16162

I'm (kind of) proud to introduce y'all to my new whip, the offical vehicle of the 1985 Yugoslavian Winter Olympics: My '82 Delica, complete with a genuine green 90,000 km traveled on its 1800 sirius engine.

image-upload-122-752650.jpg

green.

image-upload-97-709175.jpg

Owned and toured by a elderly couple for years in the south island. 9 seater, massive sunroof, green... what more could you want?

More air conditioning/vents than uh, green, um, office building?

Prefect roadie machinene. Fold down seats into a bed, choice. Need some big ol' chrome mirrors + roof racks + visor + more green.

Got the lil stainless wheel bands. Might spray the rims matty b and clean up the bands until/if I find some choice 5 stud wheels.

Rad.

Oh yeah, its green.

• 3 weeks later...

No pics, but I actually spent $ on a car for once!! It's true!! Havn't done that in about 2 years! :lol::lol:

Got a nice lil pioneer headunit from Mad/Phat/SicGTR sounds which, I found out last night, I can plug the gat into and shread thru the passengers speaker! Woohoo! Choice. And cd's, I can listen to music again!! For the 1st time in about 2 years I don't have to listen to AM radio, allthough I still do sometimes to reminece. Anyway, stoke.d

Ok, had a lil bit of time to kill, and decided to use my awesome as MSPaint cad skills :lol: to work. Been seriosly thinking about roof racks, and came up with this idea:

1) Put a frame down over two roof racks and slap some ply on top of that.

2) Run some tube below it with rungs for tie/downs strops.

3) Put some brackets on with a big C shape swinging pole, that can stand at a right angle to the deck. Chuck a tarp over it and tie it to the rungs and voila! A tent on the roof!

So the idea is that it can fold down and have surfboards/etc on top when driving, then can turn into a tent when parked up if need be.

Has a cut out with a bolt under it for the sunroof, and will make up a ladder for the rear door.

Anyways, here's some elevation scetchs, can't think in 3d, so it might not make that much sense.

Roofraxidea.jpg

Anything else I should remember/add on?

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing big days all week, and have been trying to sort out end of year surf roadie, all the while trying to make the van good to go on it! New 2nd starter motor got put in the other day, and head light bulb (*gasp* - :shock: ). Pretty ho hum... until today!

Asked the old boss to bring in some lengths of tube the other day, and finally got a half day today, so went into the old work and started on the roof rack landing/roof tent idea.

So, with a bit of this:

image-upload-4-774874-1.jpg

And a bit of this:

image-upload-3-747277.jpg

Mixed with quite a bit of this: (got some choice uv burnage in the tee, thinking of starting it as a tanning sallon thing)

image-upload-6-711632.jpg

And after a little while it started to take a basic shape, here's the dummy fitting to see if I cleared the hatch big enough for the sunroof.

image-upload-4-710101.jpg

Check, but the actual roof racks (that I picked up the other day off tardme) aren't high enough to let the sunroof under! DOH!

Neverwho.

Heres the finished result:

With the tent bar down:

image-upload-10-712531.jpg

And if you use your imagination here for the next step, plywood on the deck, tarp over the bar:

image-upload-5-748787.jpg

And bam!! It's a two bedroom!

Also, I'll throw in the obligitray O/S Nighttime/Securitylights/lonely park up type photo that we all love so much:

image-upload-8-784927.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hahahaha! Sorry bout that dude! Probebly had the music on + I'm going deaf + I don't pay much attention to anything much... I'm supprised I didn't see you in the mirror.

Seen you zipping past in the Trumpy a few times before as well, mostly by the Bethleham bakery/countdown.

I've put the link up to the discusion thread for ya.

• 2 months later...

Bit of a rugged update:

My sweet as roof rack is rusting away in the weather, still needs to be hot diped in the galv tank sometime.

One monday morning before work the other week, I reversed into one of those stupid semi-circle planter boxs that stick out on the main mount shops road and put a sweet dent in the rear corner. (gutted cause I could of just drived straight out of the park, didn't even need to reverse but was so droopy and tired)

Then clipped a curb at a hotel up in auckland and one of the stainless bands fell off without me realising, doh.

Then up at beach hop last weekend my drivers side sliding window fell out and smashed on the main stretch where everyone was doing laps. Opps :oops: . Thought someone had bottled my car but meh, twas just the window falling out as they do.

So if anyone knows where a wreck is that I can poach the window from, please let me know. I might take the back door and sliding door too if the price is right.

Still hunting high and low for that elusive set of O/S JDM 5 stud rims. I so wish it was 4 stud!! I'm even thinking of resorting to 12 slot matty b rims in the interum!

So yeah, it's a bit of a downdate.

Better update this time.

Got two new sticky outy van/truck mirrors to replace the broken one. Black as well which will match all the exterior bolt on's like the visor and stone guard etc.

Also obtained a spare sliding window to replace the one that fell out at beach hop.

And in other news, I got me some sweet as reyums!! Finally! Some 14x7 Prostars which do the trick. The front is perfect offset, will get some spacers to fit to te rear to make em sticky outy. Going to swap/stretch my 175/14 tyres onto them as well which will hopefully stop the guard rub. They are in allright nic, will get some photo's of them up sometime. If you want a cheap set of 205/14's that came with the pro's, click here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18041

In the meantime, here's some pics of the van before I went on holiday:

Cheers Ham for holding it up, the visors been painted black. Dummy fitting the bullbars, visor and stone guard.

image-upload-43-710136.jpg

Tis got the sweetest profile for a van: (Bonus points for knowing where the lookout I'm parked at is)

image-upload-109-791983.jpg

And a bit of oldschool/newschool family time at work:

image-upload-322-781271.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So have been driving around on my new Prostars with the ballon tyres they came with and they've been rubbing all over the show, which hasn't been the best. So went and got my new/old tyres on my old rims (185/14's) stretched onto the 'stars and that solved the problem + look 1,00000x betterer. Win! Also replaced the smashed window with another one. Been a good day.

And here's what they look like. (they need a clean)

image-upload-52-765588.jpg

Offset at the front is perfect. Might get some spacers for the rear just to stick them out a tiny bit so they match the front:

image-upload-33-770204.jpg

Mini stretch:

image-upload-48-724608.jpg

Now IMO, that is not really stretched, but you wouldn't believe the number of tyre shops who weren't keen to even try fitting them!! It only had 205's on it before, so 185's aren't too much of a stretch (full pun intended, I'm so witty). But anywho, tyremaster on Hewlits Rd gave it a go and there was no problems. Props to them.

Also had some problems with the tumblers going in the igition, and the steering lock staying on. But problem solved and am going to relocate the igition to a secret location for lol's more than anything.

Just remembered I never showed the roof tent in action so:

image-upload-41-700493.jpg

Sweet as. Nice and dry. It's a two bedroom, one on top, one underneth in the back with the seats folded down. Could sleep 4 semi-comfortably.

Stoked with how it turned out. Just used the strops that tied the boards and junk down to it while driving, to keep the pressure on the tarp while parked up, it worked out a treat. No outside shots though, gutts.

The roof line of the tents a bit low, kept smacking my head when I woke up and sat up, not cool. So am going to have to make it adjustable, But have to remake the C bar after not clearing our portch roof anyways so no biggy. :oops:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some of these lil bad boys at Beach Hop a few years ago and never got around to sticking them on anything untill today:

DSC00540.jpg

From this:

DSC00542.jpg

To this:

DSC00548.jpg

DSC00549.jpg

McLovin em! I heart moon eyes.

And done a rushed primer job over the stuff I striped cause it was gona rain:

DSC00551.jpg

The current thought I had for this week is straigtening it out then primering the whole thing in Kakhi-coloured primer with beige/tan stripes.

• 1 month later...

So I had a slightly early day today, so I thought I'd do something I've been wanting to do for ages. I ripped out the entire air-con system. All the blowers, motors, pipes, electrics etc etc... turned out to be a bit of a mish as these weren't designed to be taken apart easily in some parts. There was a few spots where to undo one bolt you had to take another part off (i.e Exhaust shield), but to take that off you had to take another (i.e rear suspension) = a bit of a mish. Got it degased down at the a/c place as that stuffs bad for the environment. The dude said there might be a lil residue but they weren't completely empty and as I cut one of the hoses it saturated the back compartment and me a bit with refridgerent. Yay.

This beasty was taking up leg space in the front seat so out it went:

DSC00620.jpg

It freed up tons of leg room for peeps in the front seat (oh and there's the full bottle of V from I don't know when that was lodged under the middle row. Vintage V FTW):

DSC00624.jpg

This was the unit under the middle row of seats.

DSC00622.jpg

Gona leave them out for a bit and find some carpet offcuts at work to relay the rear floor as it's abit grot.

DSC00626.jpg

So this entire unit is free to a good or bad home. If anoyone wants to have some lush 80's air con feel free to take it away. It's working fine and dandy, still had the original gas in it from '82. Reduce reuse recycle style.

Going to put some 2% hippie tints on in the next week as I'm taking off on some adventures and don't have money/don't want real tints. Should be good for a giggle.

Chucking a bed in the back for summer too.

PS Also have a pair of 12 slots in the garage (galvinized silver) if anyone wants them. Was wanting a crate of bushmans for them but... PRICE DROP!!!!1! A doz Reinecks and there your's :lol: that's like $11. That's a tiny $5.50 a wheel! :lol: I guess there around 14x7 at a look. Maybe 13x7.

5x114.3 to fit hilux/hiace/fords/mitsi's etc.

Pick up from TGA or I may be able to deliver them on my travels possibly.