fuel's 1973 Vauxhall Viva

fuel

** DISCUSSION THREAD - //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/22867-fuels-1973-vauxhall-viva/ **

I'm not sure what I've got myself into yet...

was gifted a 1973 HC Vauxhall Viva 2 door sedan in 'lime green II' from a mate. 1256 has problems, reg is dead etc. But hey it's a free car.

DSCF0446.jpg

DSCF0445.jpg

DSCF0447.jpg

Seems pretty straight and rust free. Paint isn't bad for its age either. Bonnet has had a half-assed attempt at being painted black.

Plans are to get the engine running (not getting spark at the moment), put it through re-registration process to get it all road legal, and then find some wheels, flappers or whitewalls and slam it and use as a daily as the MIVEC loves drinking fuel.

My first modification:

DSCF0450.jpg

A Mitsubishi coil with ballast resistor - temporary until I find a non-ballast resistor coil for cheaps.

Massive engine that is the 1256cc:

DSCF0448.jpg

OS represent!

DSCF0451.jpg

Next up is give it a full inspection and tidy things up ready for a re-vin. There has been a previous rust repair on the A pillar I'll smooth over with bog and respray. There's a clunking noise coming from the rear when you put power down suddenly, and the exhaust is leaking somewhere before the first muffler.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Picked this up yesterday, '76 Viva 'Magnum' 1300 with missing engine/gearbox but reg on hold. Destined to be scrapped anyway once I take parts off it, namely this:

DSCF0811.jpg

Cheers to tortron and richy for some rusty roofracks

DSCF0812.jpg

Oh yeah, turns out 76 onwards Vivas are 4x100mm, so I'm wondering if I should just continue to widen my original 4x4" rims out to 7", or find some 13" or 14" 4x100 steels with sweet centres and widen them instead with diff and hubs from parts car - anyone got suggestions?

• 1 month later...

So it turns out the parts Viva wasn't 4x100 like I was told it would be.

Anyway, I was done stripping it and it was looking in this sad state:

DSCF0907.jpg

And then Mrs scraplady with her big Isuzu truck came along and took it away. Up up and away!

DSCF0909.jpg

DSCF0910.jpg

DSCF0911.jpg

DSCF0912.jpg

DSCF0913.jpg

DSCF0914.jpg

So yeah.. when I can be bothered I'll put the Magnum front and shit on my Viva.

• 1 month later...

finished the headlamps and grille

DSCF1157.jpg

widened steels also turned up finally

DSCF1149.jpg

DSCF1150.jpg

test fit with hubbies, the edge of the rim still sits within the guards. I worked out the offset of the rims are now -9 instead of the original +30.

DSCF1151.jpg

DSCF1152.jpg

DSCF1153.jpg

not sure if I should paint the steels, or sand the rest back further and let them rust haha. I'm considering just spraying them silver of some kind - thoughts?

next mission is tyres - my plan was to go with 165/65s but am considering other options like 165/60 or even 185/60. Ideally I would like 175/60 but I cannot seem to track down a set of four brand new - there's only two in the country currently

test fitting a 165/65 R13 on one rim. Ended up ordering a set of 175/60s which have arrived and will get them mounted once I sandblast and paint the rims, thinking a grey colour, similar colour to what they were originally painted anyway - suggestions?

DSCF1158.jpg

DSCF1159.jpg

DSCF1160.jpg

DSCF1161.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

so I've been taking my sweet time getting this sorted - want it rolling asap so I can put the Eterna in the garage and rip its motor out.

cheers to Mike-E for sandblasting the steels, have painted and mounted the tyres on two of the rims. Paint looked to be a sweet dark silver but came out a blue-ish silver, much like Brad's steels.

DSCF1246.jpg

DSCF1247.jpg

DSCF1248.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And it's sold. But at least it's gone to someone who diggs what I've done to it so far and will hopefully keep it looking just as mean for a while (although he has plans to paint it..)

Doesn't seem like that I've had the car for over a year now, 'tis a shame I never got to take it to Napier or any other meets.