4G32 chain drive cam.

lancer misfit

Gidday.

Couple of things: I've been trying to get my 4G32 (1600) Saturn engine running sweet - I was having difficuilty tuning it to run well, idle and cold-start with a lumpy cam, so I put them cam in from my old 4G36 (1200), which created a whole new set of problems. So I've put the lumpy cam back in as it is the lesser of two evils.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between a chain drive 4G36 (1200) cam and a stock standard chain drive 4G32 (1600) cam?

If so does anyone have a standard 4G32 chain cam they'd be willing to sell me.

Alternatively, What modifications do I have to make to run a lumpy cam properly? I currently have it idling at over 1000 rpm and I have a high power coil but there are still a couple of plug fouling issues - and the consumption is fucking ridiculous.

Cheers.

Honestly what do you expect from a lumpy cam? You get more power at high revs (assuming you have the rest to support that revs such as better carbs, extractors and larger exhaust) - but you get a tradeoff with poor drivability at low revs and a not so great idle. Of course the fuel consumption is going to be worse...

4G36 is 1200cc, so the cam is going to have different duration and lift to suit the 1200 and the 1200 only...

Sorry can't help with a chain driven cam, only have belt driven cam here.

True. It is good at high revs - but tends to run on 3 cylinders on startup (until you rev it). It's close though.

I was just a bit shocked that I was only getting 250k's max out of a 40L tank.

So you think a standard carb jetted for a 1600 is not key? Sadly my budget doesn't really extend to a new manifold & webbers etc. I do have stock twin carbs, but they needed rebuilding.

Ideally I'd just take it back to standard with the stock 1600 cam. Guess I'll start looking.

Cheers.

Yeah dude chucking a lumpy cam in with otherwise stock carb(s)/exhaust is not going to be nearly as good as if you have the rest to go with it (higher compression ratio, better carbs, better flowing exhaust etc) - and you'll still end up with the tradeoffs of having the lumpy cam.

Find a standard cam until you can afford to do the rest of the mods to go with a lumpy cam. Did you get any specs with the cam? It sounds like it's a pretty aggressive grind.