who knows anything about stromberg Carbs?

Bulldog

Check the needle valve and the floats are actually moving, and do actually float (no holes).

Take the tops off and check the diaphrams, sitting for a while with gas in the carbbie can destroy the diaphram.

At the same time check the needle is straight and has no wear.

A lot of the Stromberg parts are getting hard to come by and if the needle or valve are worn, that carbs will never work out that well.

Personally I'd be looking for a pair of SUs, the Stromberg isnt really a performance carby, it has no accelarator pump, so you dont get a quick throttle response

Thanks everyone. As I suspected it was the float. More to the point the circlip holding the float hinge in place had gone awol. Put a new one in and it's all good. Cept for the part where the heater pipe coming out of the head snapped off from the head :( It was getting old and was under some pressure due to the new inlet being really close to it. That'll learn me. Now I have to remove what's left in the head (god knows how) tried screwedrive and hammer to see if I could it started but no go. Any good tools or methods would be much appreciated.