rxtoy's R31 skidline

rxtoy

one guess who bought Draizuh's/Kyteler's old skyline????

well, she needs a bit of work but nothing too major. Adam reckons she failed a wof on the rear discs being warped, passenger side tie rod, hand brake stuck on (hence rear discs), pretty much no rear brakes and a couple of holes in the exhaust.

will do the pick a part mission tomorrow if i get the chance to sort the brakes and tie rod, hopefully the skyline i saw last week is still there.

will be looking into a manual conversion, my sisters neighbour did one recently so i'll have a talk to him about what parts i need. shouldn't be too hard anyway

also will be looking at lowering and wheels, maybe a lower lip and front mount oil cooler ala old man southern styles from when he had it.

plans are pretty much for a reasonably tidy daily with a bit of pull, the RB30 spins the wheels pretty easy when you mash the pedal and it will be handy for towing my other shit around. hell of a lot more handy than my 1800 corona anyway.

thats about it, just a couple of pics as it sits in the driveway:

1010898yh6.jpg

1010900ti5.jpg

1010901fc3.jpg

oh yeah, any tips on what forums i can find out more about this on???? stuff along the lines of will the IRS out of jap spec one's bolt straight in??? what's interchangable from r30's and r32's (rear discs and pads, manual gearbox, pedal box, clutch master, etc)???? and anything else i come up with???

cheers

Matt

• 1 month later...

right, this has just been sitting in my driveway pretty much since the last update. been way too busy with working on my ute (now wof and reg'd) and finishing up at work and living life.

getting back into it now i've got a bit of time though, got some of the parts to fix the brake problems it was having, although not all of them because someone had already scalped the discs. i'll probably throw some new pads in the rear, do a few hard stops and see if i can take the worst of the warpage off because they don't feel too bad, it only got picked up when Adam went for a wof. also got to change the tie rod end tomorrow then i'll probably take it in for a wof and see what else i need to do.

also bought some wheels for it, 15" volks off trademe, nothing too flash but i'm hoping i'll be able to flip the centres on the rear ones to get some sweet offset. will wait and see when i pick them up. hoping for a decent width, won't find out til the weekend.

pics from trademe of wheels:

56375603fullqd0.jpg

56375458fullmy1.jpg

been checking out r31skylineclub or whatever it is, some good info there. couldn't join SDU, hotmail account and all. meh, not too stressed.

cheers

Matt

• 5 weeks later...

right, ended up buying the wheels, decided they were perfect for what i wanted them for anyway and i picked them up from the guys old man so couldn't really haggle. meh, dents were right, will be taking them to a mag wheel repair place tomorrow to try and get them out, shouldn't be too much of a major.

pics:

as they came, tires were in better condition than mentioned, will keep 2 of them since they're definitly in wof condition, have ditched the other two as they had some serious skid damage on them:

1011225lq3.jpg

first things first, remove tyres, dismantle all 4, make up 2 super wide (heaps more than i was expecting) wheels using the inners from all 4:

1011231th7.jpg

1011226ti8.jpg

1011227ze8.jpg

1011228yj7.jpg

1011232lw8.jpg

not sure on exact dimensions, seem to be about 10.5 inches wide from bead to bead, just under 11 total. good 5.5 inches dish FTW.

getting the dents taken out then i'll take them apart again, clean them up, install valves, put them back together with sealant (any suggestions????) and find some tyres.

OTHER SKIDLINE NEWS:

think i may have blown the head gasket, its in storage at the moment because i've got nowhere to work on it so the Ute is my daily again. also got an electrical problem thats taking out pretty much everything electrical when i turn the lights on, will properly investigate once its out of storage.

cheers

Matt

• 11 months later...

so um yeah, skyline was just sitting around and then some kids broke a window and i got to the point where i was going to scrap it but my brother in law had a better plan.....................

so this would be the skylines last ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QclzQ1wyUg

at least she went out with a bang................................... brother in law got a wee bit scorched, currently in Waikato burns unit but will be ok.

cheers

Matt