Hotdog's Toyota Starlet KP61 5K Rebuild

hotdog

the old girl had a few mishaps at the oldskool trackday earlier this year so im doing a full rebuild on the 5k just to make sure shes going to be reliable .

dsc00385co5.th.jpg

so ive pulled it apart and ive found a few broken bits such as one cracked piston, scratched crank ,scratched bore.

the plan is to do a complete rebuild with oversize pistons ,new nitrided crank, some more head work and some oversize valves

also im going to fit my coilovers , double front swaybar and respray and deloom the engine bay abit . hopfully by early next year .

Discussion Thread http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11878

had the day off today so spent the whole day woring on the starlet as well as picking up some goodies .

have had some bits powder coated , crossmember , bumper irons and misc brackets

dsc00297kz7.th.jpg

picked up my double front sway bay with adjustable bottom arms

dsc00296bn8.th.jpg

went down to fraser cars and borrowed a tig and started welding up some of the misc holes in the engine bay left from brackets that ive removed

dsc00293qn3.th.jpg

also started rubbing down the paint in the engine bay with 400 grit wet n dry so i can start to primer

dsc00294qm7.th.jpg

even found a dyno sheet from speed source in walkworth , sorry photo isnt that clear but got to 81kw @7000 rpm it was still climbing but told him to shut it down as dynos give me the shits , will take it back up after im finished to see if theres any improvements (better be :lol: )

dsc00292ev3.th.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

got the 5k together again , used some oversise pistons this time , got my crank nitrided , head got a three angle grind done on it , new valves with a new back cut done on them , whole engine balanced , new bearings ,shaved and polished the rocker cover , polished the thermo housing and water pump . put it all back in but she wouldnt start , turned out i hadnt put the dissy in right , so had another crack at that and she started first pop (neighbours must have loved that at 11pm sunday night with no exhaurst). still got to go buy a timing light , and tidy up the wiring a bit and she'll be ready to be run in .

cellphonepics011bb8.th.jpg

also managed to get some secondhand rca's and an oil cooler which ive put on .

just need to find a decent brake setup now , im thinking wilwoods ? any one got any sugestions ?

discussion viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11878

• 3 weeks later...

had a play around with the ride height today cut a half coil out of the rear to get it sitting level (well 5-10mm lower in the rear now )

car004lz9.th.jpg

car001ys5.th.jpg

balloon tyres on the rear rub a bit but their only going to last a few more burnouts :lol: