Crazy Rich's Mk3 Cortina

crazy_rich

yo. Bought this off an old bloke. was a mint as virgin when i got hold of it, dont think any thing had ever been unbolted during its 140000 km lifespan. all I've done is lowered it on hotwires and stickered her up. Its a dirty old 2L "guess ur gear" auto.. . doesnt even light up in the wet.

Richspics107-1.jpg

corty.jpg

Richspics108-1.jpg

DSC00098.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

• 3 months later...

hey ya'll as im on holiday at the moment and have fuck all to do i thought id get this thing up and reliable again. Considering it doesnt start anymore, has no brakes, and a perforated radiator ive got a bit of work to do.

so i chucked the steels back on it, hotwires stuck out side the guards too much and i couldnt be fucked lipping them.

DSC00335.jpg

trend?... what trend...? might whitewall them/ cant be fucked.

opened the boot up to look for rust, looks fairly clean eh?

DSC00332.jpg

then i took the radiator out. check out the state of the coolant.... headgasket i reckon.

DSC00333.jpg

im remembering just how gutless this thing is, so id say the engine could do with a freshen up, though i really cant be bothered pulling it out, so i'll just work on the capri instead.

bullshit update: yes, thanks for your time.

• 11 months later...

woah, dragged this forward a few pages... anyway, apparently im getting my licence back next month so i thought id get the cortina up and running for the last month of summer. It didnt have too much to do to it when i parked it up, mainly; recore radiator, find the leak in the brakes, rings and bearings in the engine and fix the slogged out linkage on the trans so i knew what gear i was in. but as we all know this isnt a perfect world and im expecting at least double that to need done. Pulled the engine

DSC00729.jpg

sent it to my former place of work where they're fixing it m8's rates (champs) Its getting new rings, bearings, gaskets etc (naturally) as well as .040 bore with some second hand pistons jammed in there, new cam, rockers etc, standard of course, (no point embarrassing myself by trying to make it fast) getting the rods resized cos they aren't as round as the crank and that'll do, rekit the carb and hopefully it'll be all it needs. wont post any pics as you all know what a bloody pinto looks like naked.

gona have a look at doing something with the seats, ive had some gay seatcovers on them but i wanna rock vynal, does anyone out there have an unfucked cortina drivers seat that looks like mine? dont mind getting 2 later model ones with headrests though, (to save my neck from the unspeakable torque) so long as they look the part (vomit stain brown) any help would be top notch. cheers for reading.

pic of the carnage that is the captains chair:

DSC00748.jpg

• 2 months later...

looks like i was right in it not being a perfect world, I got the recond engine back, chucked it in, got the recond carb back (was over fuelling apparently) slapped that on, she started first pop, sweet. till the trans dumped all its fluid out the rear seal. Ended out Pulling the box as it looked to be leaking from every possible orifice, so its in getting rebuilt as we (I) speak, the brake master is getting the treatment too as i'm betting it'll be next to go, and it looks rather poked. fingers crossed for a successful weekend eh?

engine going in.

DSC00768.jpg

must have been leaking for a while as the trans fluid has managed to get flung all under the car by the driveshaft turning the underseal to mush, so i scraped it off

DSC00776.jpg

and sprayed some new shit on, what a fucking fantastic job that was.

DSC00781.jpg

heres hoping it'll be a driver next week. thanks for you time.

• 1 month later...

shes still not a runner, finally got the auto back after a month rather that the week they'd initially stated, though to be fair they had good reasons behind that, even so I still wouldnt recommend automan automatics due to workmanship. They'd used a cork sump gasket preventing the lower bellhousing bolts from lining up as the cork was about 2mm thicker than the paper it should have had. Upon removing the pan to fix this slight fuckup I noticed a problem with a split pin

DSC00798.jpg

guess they wanted it to stay in long enough to make them look innocent when i came back in a few months time, or it could have been accidental? makes me wonder what else hasnt quite been put back together properly.

DSC00799.jpg

ended out slotting the lower bellhousing boltholes as I couldnt be bothered dealing with the type of auto parts stores that are open on a sunday, if you know what I mean. Got my brake master resleeved though, Canterbury brake and clutch did an awesome job, overnight service, reasonably priced, couldnt be happier.

DSC00800.jpg

so now im ready to put the box back in, get some other bits and pieces, then ill be alot closer.