Marks 1977 260c cedric

mark105

so yuh pending final arrangements this is goin to be mine

260wm2.th.jpg

260cgx9.th.jpg

260interiorud4.th.png

tiz a 1977 260c (230 shape i believe it is) L20E powered with "3 on the tree" auto. apart from the engine shes all standard and has benchys in the front :D

plans is to get some decent rims n tires as im getting it with only random stuff on it and prolly drop it a inch or 2 to improve handling and use it as my daily :D comes with brand new wof to, dudes getting one this thursday for me.

also has towbar so i can now tow round the ke26 when needed. n yuh more pics whens its in my possession.

so she has a wof now and shes all paid for, picking it up this sunday. when the owner said its a "3 on the tree" transmission i figured it would be auto but its a manual so even better.

Update Mon Sep 17, 2007

anyways got sent more pics.

the big ol nissan donk

p1011024my9.th.jpg

interior pics, crankin OS radio

p1011028bf3.th.jpg

p1011031zb8.th.jpg

and shitty outside pic

p1011033xi0.th.jpg

Update Mon Sep 24, 2007

so took few more engine bay pics. went to do photo shoot some where but it got dark so yuh better pics tomoz.

so yeh untidy as wiring from EFI conversion.

img6611rc6.th.jpg

and the other side

img6610xe5.th.jpg

Plans=

do huge tidy up of engine bay, finish off engine conversion as its all prety "we wanted it in there and going and nothing else matters"

needs a air filter and so on also. get interior valeted as it needs a clean hard.

and of course rims n tryes n suspension needs attention. (also have almost slicks on it atm lol)

also whats the deal with ecu's being under the bonnet? bit dodge init?

Update Mon Oct 01, 2007

new solex's goin to install them now.

img6615ak0.th.jpg

few hours later

img6616xz1.th.jpg

Update Sun Oct 07, 2007

had a interesting day trying to get these to fit the 260c

img6619wf8.th.jpg

the backs fit sweet, but skylines have much smaller hubs then 260c and this wont fit over the hub on the front

wontfitzc1.jpg

so tiz off to tyre shop tomoz to have tyres taken off, then out to dads mechanics to have centers lathed out and i should have some rims that fit.

still dunno what to do color/paint wise as 2 came matty b and they was shittly done so i paint stripped that off but original paint underneath was fucked too so i need to get em sand blasted or something as im to lazy to clean them up by hand.

Update Sun Oct 14, 2007

img6622wd0.jpg

comparison of rims

img6626rs5.jpg

all finished

img6623ij3.jpg

trued up front hubs

img6625mq3.jpg

and test fit

Update Thu Nov 01, 2007

img6632cm2.jpg

prety happy with that tbh even tho they is new school.

Update Sat Nov 24, 2007

had a play again today, new oxygen sensor sees the plug all nice n clean now and richness gone tho it might be a bit lean now but still idles fast for some reason still unsure on this.

got under the rocker cover, no hydro lifters so adjusted the tappets and jesus were they out tiz very quiet n smooth now.

oh and added some os lovin

img6737cz3.jpg

Update Thu Dec 20, 2007

1.5 inch blocks in back, happy with this, front tomorrow.

img6749bx8.jpg

Update Mon Dec 24, 2007

ok lowness pics.

previous height

img6736au8.jpg

now

img6751kh2.jpg

im still expecting the front to settle a bit also as the old springs got a bit of a work out from the gas.

also new ones of these in the front

img6753lx2.jpg

is like a whole new car now, much improved the handling considering my old shocks didnt even work hah.

Update Mon Jan 21, 2008

these look mean ones that suit the best so far, offset tiz a bit wrong for the 260's positive as hubs

img6776xd0.jpg

img6777vm0.jpg

dont think any amount of stretch could beat that tho

Update Sun Apr 19, 2009

The RB Conversion

so this car currently looks like this

DSC00052.jpg

and this is a donor car

DSC00050.jpg

and this is why

DSC00051.jpg

and this is the 260's new engine/gearbox. RB25DE and 4 speed auto

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

one of my current problems. look at old L's sump bowl and where it is on RB's sump

DSC00056.jpg

but its not to much of a biggie

my big pile of wires i had to sort out to use the skylines auto box and my foot chucked in for a size comparison.

DSC00049.jpg

all i need to do now is finish modifying the gearbox cross member so the skylines gearbox mount fits on it and work out the engine mounts as they are on a slightly different angle to the RB's and get my sump tig'ed up.

Update Wed May 06, 2009

sump is made now

DSC00058.jpg

welds

DSC00059.jpg

one step closer. engine/gearbox mounts now

Update Wed May 13, 2009

excuse my shit cellphone pics but made the engine mounts, got motor in car, thought auto was sitting a little low but am unsure now as everything seems in line just auto is big and im using factory rb manifold and dump pipe and this sits a little lower again then the auto box but anyways shit pics

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

trying to show the current line of auto and auto in relation to motor but kinda failed.

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

and yuh slowerly getting there.

Update Sat Jun 13, 2009

shitty phone pics again but engine finally rests here.

DSC00069.jpg

my only problem at current is my starter doesnt fit as it hits the steering box setup and being that my cross member is at the front i have no where to attach a rack and pinion setup anyways and nor do i want to really.

this is why starter doesnt fit, because the starter solenoid hits steering box because instead of being all L series stz and pointing straight up like motor on bottom it points straight out the side as seen on motor at the top :doubt:

DSC00074.jpg

so a remote solenoid and a different means of engaging might be the go if i cant make the L series one fit.

and my yucky rust im fixing

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

and i attacked it with an angle grinder.

DSC00072.jpg

thats all for now. slowerly getting there.

• 1 year later...

gave up on finding after market starter, used factory one and moved engine over to passengers side bout 20mm so it fit, made nolathane engine mounts as i cant have that bitch moving much. also got a set of skyrine rb25 extractors of trademe and set about making them fit (the whole extractors was like half the price of buying the bends to make my own)

SANY0829.jpg

SANY0830.jpg

SANY0832.jpg

SANY0833.jpg

mean getting closer to slammage time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

so everything for a cert is done. except bleed the brakes and some minor tidying.

been having fun with panel work. commence cellphone pics.

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00090.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

so much rust in boot, went around the back window and then water all in the boot just made it go all over the place so lots of welding and lots of por15 and its now like that, will be in paint by sunday all going to plan.

then cert time :D in time for napier i hopes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

so i did some skids, poped some tyres and this is the result.

number 2 where the bearing goes in the con rod. notice heat marks and look at bearing 2.

SANY1297.jpg

number 6 bearings, pwned, right through the copper back to metal and started being mashed out of shape.

SANY1299.jpg

number 5 gone, back to copper

SANY1301.jpg

number 4 same again

SANY1302.jpg

number 3 same again

SANY1303.jpg

number 2, 200% fucked, right through the copper and severally mashed out of shape.

SANY1304.jpg

number 1, not so bad but is on its way out also

SANY1305.jpg

and my sump with heaps of bearing in it.

SANY1306.jpg

so yeh number 6 and number 2 bearings spun, number 2 bearing semi spun welded it self to the conrod.

im guessing to have all 6 bearings fucked it must have been on its way out and this just was the final push.

so im off to have a full gasket set, new rings, full set of bearings priced up for this. then im gonna strip it down and send it off to motor preparations in otorohanga where ill have the block fully flushed and cleaned and have everything machined up and pretty much do a full rebuild on the bottom end.

• 5 weeks later...

so i found a cheap block, crank, girdle and rods on trademe as this is what i was needing. it all went off to the engine builder last week and i got it all back today $800 poorer, i did not think there was that much work that was needed but turns out this thing was very neglected and the engine builder confirmed my suspicions that this engine was going to do what it did weather i did skids in it or not, i just fast tracked the process haha. so now i have a brand new engine. purchased the bits to assemble the internals so far but appco cant obtain piston rings for me funny enough which sux cause i got staff discount from him so if any one who works there can double check this for me that would be sweet. so enough talking pics time.

the list of shit they did.

11122009007.jpg

and what it looks like

11122009005.jpg

11122009006.jpg

11122009004.jpg

11122009008-2.jpg

and some new bits

11122009002.jpg

owned, RB30 turbo rings didnt fit, once i measured them the top ring was 0.4mm thicker which subsequently meant it didnt fit the top landing. so rang engine builder, he spent half the day trying to find rings and found nothing from all the usual suppliers but managed to find some from a ring supplier in invercargil from a 4 cylinder which should fit, so hopefully find out tomorrow whether i have rings or whether im waiting like months for them to come from Nissan japan and get anal raped on the price.

• 4 months later...

thought i had better update this as allot has happened but ive taken no photos haha.

update from ages ago, couple of days before Christmas engine builder ended up getting the 4 cylinder rings for me which meant i ended up with 8 of them, they were 4g63 rings that were 1mm over size to fit my 86mm pistons, fitted everything up, was all mint, everything back together, started it up and no 1 was not burning fuel, went over the entire ignition system and it came up fine, so i suspected a sticking open injector, got the injectors cleaned and tested and they came up fine, compression tested it and it came up 0 psi, leaked down tested it inlet valves were leaking. This was new years eve which i ended up leaving very late for cause i was trying to get this going for it so i gave up and went and partied.

So it sat for a few weeks and head came off and went back to the engine builder, they pressure tested everything, pulled head all apart and cleaned everything and sent it back saying the valves had some shit under them but shouldn't have been to major and wouldn't have stopped no 1 firing.

So then i turned to the hydro lifters, found a guide went to recondition them as a new set from Nissan was $2500 worth and found i couldn't get them apart, bashed one so hard i broke it so i cut it open with an angle grinder and found it so baked up full of shitty oil no wonder they wouldnt come apart so Jase found me a low compression RB20DET which i got for $100 and taxed the lifers from, these ones were much better but it took about 3 days of soaking in carb cleaner then a day worth of cleaning to get them back to good nick but that was them all nicely sorted.

Went back and put the whole head and everything back on and compression tested it and got 160 psi on all 6 cylinders and shit me i was a happy chappy after that, so it all went back together and ive been driving it for about a month now, shes all run in and running very smoothly. so happy to have this thing back on the road.

So in the end i think it was the hydro lifters that were the biggest problem and at the end of the day they were the only thing that had not been reconditioned as i thought the engine builder had done them but when i took the head back they said they had just bleed them so it was just one of those things.

So out of the 6 months rego and 6 months wof the car had i drove it for about 2 weeks and i finally got around to putting my cert plate on that came like a week or so after Napier last year.

So on to giving the skylines some attention.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...