dirtyleppa's C31 Nissan Laurel

Discussion Thread //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/21831-dirty-leppas-laurel/?hl=laurel

my car in the garage getting ready for paint. was going to do it 2 tone but every 2nd dude has done it and for $80 more i got enough paint for the whole car so decided to paint it a nice jet black. cost me just $300 for paint thinners and clear coat. SCORE :) so began the long task of sanding it back

1000035za6.jpg

just a shot of the interior. there is not a scratch anywhere

1000038cw5.jpg

factory turbo... yayer

1000046lq3.jpg

had to get a new gaurd as some idiot bogan kicked it in at the diesels

1000045fk0.jpg

got these rims for $200 but have some 17x8 koya drift techs on their way

1000047fc0.jpg

1000048eu9.jpg

factory turbo l20et with 110000km on the clock. with 14psi i got the car to a 15.6@89mph with bald tyres. not bad considering the age, size and the fact it came with 140hp standard.

1000049wg2.jpg

all primered up and reary for paint

1000056vs5.jpg

this was the first coat of paint but i fucked it up as i had too much air pressure through the spray gun. after some experimenting i got it right

1000057tq1.jpg

me and my mates started the primer at 11 in the morning and had most of the chrome back on at 11.45 pm on the first nite of the chch 4s and rotarys. just in time to go for a cruise and have a look at some sweet cars and some hot bitches.

will take some pics of the finished paint soon and will hopefully have my motor out before the next update as i have an rb20det waiting for a rebild and some massive power mods

go to this url if you love old skool jappers. this has to be the best vid on the net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU8E8kaceTY

just a pic of the rims i have ordered. they r koya drift teks in racing gold and are 17x8 all round

drifttekgoldch0.jpg

decided it was time for an update. just a small 1

just outside in blocks, in the process of pulling the motor and box out. havent been doing fuck all as its too cold and dark after work and cant really be fucked working on my stuff after working on trucks all day. just starting to get sum cash so will start getting stuff 4 my motor an hopefully rebuild it soon. when the motor and box is out i will put it up for sale so if any 1 is interested, leave me a pm or email me.

after painting. looks good but needs a fukn good cut and polish and rest of chrome fitted. i think its much much better than the ugly poo gold.

picture013ex2.jpg

picture012qr8.jpg

picture014ot3.jpg

still waiting on my fukn rims as mag and turbo r really getting on my bloody nerves. this waiting will just make that day even better. if you think i should keep the old skool theme going by getting older wheels, let me know as im open to any suggestions.

if you have any recommendations as to what i should do about the interior just leave a comment. not sure wether to tidy up original inside or strip it out and just put in a cage and some buckets

• 3 weeks later...

just a quik update.

still waiting for my fukn wheels from mag and turbo. was told they were definitly here next week. hope so as then i can get free lowering springs and save myself some coin.

over the weekend i took my car for a wof as i need 1 for next weeks drags and i failed on a hole page of different things. the main prob was the brakes and as im a lazy bum and cant be botherd fixn them i took them to a local mechanic for a look. came back to me yesterday it gonna cost $1250 +gst as all my rotors r stuffed, all pads r worn and need to be replaced and both rear calipers need to be rebuilt. :cry:

so i thort i would be a clever dick and see if i could get a good trade discount. the cheapest i got from anywhere was $224 +gst for each rotor. :evil:

as i was goin to upgrade my brakes for a bit of drifting/track work im not gonna pay that amount fo standard brakes. so it looks like i will be doin the brakes before my engine rebuild. not to sure wot im gonna run but mite see wot can be done with gtst brakes. i was told by 028 hilux 4 pots are a str8 fit with just some bigger discs needed.

so this weekend i will be stripping the stock brakes in preperation for the upgrades and will also pull my turbo off the L20 for a freshn up. i will also fit my brand new intercooler and dummy fit my oil cooler. just gona run a intercooled L20 until i can rebuild my rb

if any 1 has any suggestions as to the brake upgrade then pm me or flik us an email at dirty_leppa@hotmail.com

will post pics next week with my progress or lack of

• 4 weeks later...

another update. been a while since the last.

have been buying parts as i can afford them and have been helped out by a couple good dudes with tryin to source some cunty parts.

so far i have managed to get a 600x300x76 intercooler, a 300x150x25 oil cooler as well as 4pot hilux calipers and vented rotors.

i dummy fitted my calipers and found the backing plates need to be trimmed but the main problem was that my front hubs r 1 piece. i thort fuk but after speaking to stagefumer i was told that 280z front hubs r wot i need to sort this out.

after a whole day tryin to find some hubs i got nothing, so jumped onto old school and got talkin to DJZ and as it turned out he had a spare set of 280z rotors and hubs. the best thing is he said i could have them so big ups to him for the freebie.

on monday i got a call i had been waiting for for ages. it was mag and turbo saying they had just got in my mags after 4 months wait. :D

i will try get some pics soon as im a bit busy moving house at the mo. once i get a descent garage ill fit up my brakes as well as replace all the front and rear bushes as they r all stuffed.

still trying to sort out my rear brakes as i want something half descent.

once again thanks to DJZ for the free hubs etc and to everyone else who helped me out

• 3 weeks later...

hi, been a while since my last update. have been busy moving into my new house which means i have some room to get some work done. as a bonus there is a small shed so i can keep all my bits safely in there.

picture012pe2.jpg

picture013qw9.jpg

2 weeks ago i bought this 1983 liteace van off my cousin as a replacement daily driver for my auto mitsi eterna.i fitted the wheels from my laurel to is as well as 2 inch lowering blocks and what a difference. once it gets a WOF ill drop it onto the bump stops as it looks like shot as it is. im not gonna do much to it besides a tune up. if time allows i mite also try make up a set of lake pipes just to be a bit different.

picture015pg5.jpg

picture001ef9.jpg

picture002vd8.jpg

picture016zy2.jpg

picture017os9.jpg

picture018mf7.jpg

well since i havent been doing anything to my car i have been stock piling parts so i can get alot of work done 1 go.

heres what i have managed to get so far

picture008vf9.jpg

picture009qm9.jpg

picture010ev9.jpg

picture011xo1.jpg

picture014zz5.jpg

picture022ao6.jpg

picture021up1.jpg

finally fitted my new mags to the car and damn they look sexy. look so much better with tyres on them. the only problem now is the massive gap between the gaurd and the fact i need some spacers on the front to clear my struts. just a few shots to show you what they look like. so glad i didnt get the black ones.

picture005oc4.jpg

picture004tm8.jpg

picture019xz4.jpg

picture003wi7.jpg

• 1 month later...

just a quik update. havent done to much as each time i think i can get my brake upgrade done, i run into a problem and can fix it at home. like today after 8 weeks i finally managed to get some rotors off damon and fitted them to my hubs. i went to bolt up my calipers but they will need a small amount of machining to fit onto my struts.

just some shots of my progress and how the brakes should look like when im done.

fitted larger 290mm vented rotors from a z31 300zx. much bigger than my shitty 250mm stock ones

picture001vw2.jpg

picture003tq2.jpg

what the brakes will look like once the calipers get machined and r fitted up.

picture004zp3.jpg

jyjsws1.jpg

will post up some more pics soon when my camera starts working properly.

managed to get my box, engine and radiator and front end pulled out one saturday afternoon with the help of a mate and sold the motor for $150 to help fund the rebuild of my rb20.

jryjrkck8.jpg

jsjkhe0.jpg

just a few shots showing where my front mount will fit. am pretty stoked with the amount of room i have to work with, will make life easier.

wtxr5.jpg

as it sits below was how i wanted it for shorter intake lengths but unfortunately the entrance and exit pipes will be too close to the head lights as you can see in the pics.

jrjre8.jpg

as you can see, very little room for some piping

jtjtjyx9.jpg

ncnhe8.jpg

so plan B,

turned it the other way and what a difference. so much more room. will just need some minor surgery to get the piping done, but that can wait as the brakes and engine rebuild will be 1st.

fyjrjkkge0.jpg

yjyjdf0.jpg

ryjryjkqq8.jpg

will hopefully start getting my bottom end built up soon. plans are to clean and hone the block and make sure its not to oval etc, than polish the crank, shot peen the rods, throw some forgies at it and get the hole lot balanced including the flywheel and clutch. once thats all done i will worry bout the head, turbo and inlet and all the small bullshit.

if all goes to plan the bottom end should be done by xmas.

• 1 month later...

wattup fools.

just a small update. swapped my van recently for a 1983 910 bluebird. has stock L20b but with twin su carbs. got 117000km on it with a mint interior. came with some cutties which are captive and an LSD. plans are to throw some wheels on it, 2.5" exhaust, give it a tune, tidy up the paint and get the carbs running properly.

just a few picks.

picture001hn7.jpg

picture002tc6.jpg

picture003ip5.jpg

picture004rn6.jpg

picture005iv5.jpg

picture007kc7.jpg

if anyone has spare extractors or knows of any please get hold of me as i deperately wanna bin the stock pea shooter exhaust

did a bit of work on the old bluebird today. fitted some plugs and leads as well as a shiny new oil catch can and man what a difference. will fit some points and check the timing as well as balance the carbs when time and money allows.

also painted the bonnet black after a failed attempt at a cut and polish. decided to paint below the door trims as well just to tidy everything up a bit and to give the car a lower looking stance. paint came out a bit shitty in some places with a bit of orange peel effect going on.

picture001vo5.jpg

picture004ul3.jpg

will upload more pics when the battery in the camera is charged

• 4 weeks later...

wattup fools, was driving my car today and went to overtake a nanna driver and all of a sudden the tacho went to 6500rpm and i shat myself. so i turned the car off and stopped on the side of the road. had a look at the throttle cable, which was frayed to begin with, and it was almost cut through and the linkages on my twin carbs jammed wide open. pulled them closed and coasted home.

will prob need to change the linkages and cable to fix it or mite just go baxk to a single carb as the twins are messing around.

also checked the timing and was way out. looked through my trusty owners manual and set the timing properly. it still idles aroung 1500rpm but the power is smoother. tried to adjust the idle speed but found it to be at lowest setting. i figured the sticking jets are the problem here.

went for a wof last week and failed in uncaptive front springs, bald tyre, cracked rear indicator, my new datsun vinyl stcker on rear window and split/dented sills. so will replace all the cutties and indiactor, ripped off the sticker :cry: and had a look at the sills. the only split i saw was in the bog someone had used to fill in the dents.

if anyone knows how to remove dents in the sills please tell me as thats the only thing stopping me getting a wof.

• 2 weeks later...

well i finally got sum wheels for the bird. 14x6 gold meshies which i think suit the car quite well. need to get some smaller tyres as the balloons look like crap

picture004im6.jpg

picture005tf9.jpg

this is the rear and as you can see the gap is gone. mite have to drop it bout another half inch to be bangin!

picture006td7.jpg

this is the great cravass of the front, can fit africa in that bloody hole. wont be like that for long as once it gets a wof ill throw the cutties back in and then shorten the struts to keep the springs all captive.

picture007gs9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just thaught i would post a few pics of the stickers ive been getting for my other project but decided to put them on my bird instead

DATSUN REPRESENT

picture009vy0.jpg

ryjdte6.jpg

OLD SCHOOL 4 LIFE

picture010xf0.jpg

got a shiny muff fitted to my beast and damn its loud!!! :tops: has a srtaight through pipe to large tip and its mean as.

picture011ru0.jpg

finally got it legal today after failing my warrant on cut springs and a bald tyre. once funds allow for it the cutties will be going back in and i will shorten the struts to make everything captive.

its alot more level that last time but still too high.

etyt5ci5.jpg

just was mucking round and found my old japanese automobile federation badge, so i fitted it for that little bit of JDM goodness.

yjiubo3.jpg