Seedy Al's 1982 Toyota Hiace

Seedy Al

So, here it is, My new 1982 Hiace Van....

Bought off trade me with a blown motor, 1 con rod out the side of the block. Was located in Takaka, so had to make a massive effort to get it over to here in Wellington..... had to get it towed to a frieght company, then frieghted over the Takaka Hill, to the Straight shippin Company, who chucked it on the Kent, and got it shippped over to wellington for Sunday.

So I got the work truck and the trailer and went and piced it up with my man Pies.

Well, I am very very happy, becasue I didnt really know what to expect, and the price of the van was pretty low, Im totally stoked with how rust free it is. It has a bit of a dent in the sliding door, and it doesnt close mint, But I will sort that, or find a replacement one..

So I guess the most stand out thing about the van is the paint........ yes, it is white, white with Yellow Diasys!!!!

HIPPY VAN!

Its pretty cool, did come with a bed base in the back aswell, for extra Peow Peow.

Next is the motor....... thought it was going to be some sort of Y sereis, because thats what the person i bought it off sisters boy friend Said... So ait Turns out is 12R Powered............. thats a whole 1600cc of mega r power. So wont be putting one of those back in.

Anyway, the short list.

1. Replace motor, possibly with a 22r (we will see Cam)

2. Fix up body.

3. Paint the thing back to Factory White/

4. Get a Wof

5. Lower The Van

6. Mack out the inside

7. and er.... Oh yeah, Black steelies and White walls with the Chrome Center Caps!

Long term Plan,

1. Fit a 1kzte Desiel Turbo motor.

2. get Some mean sounds

3. Chrome the Bumpers

Anyway, heres some pics for a good bit of Laughing!

P1010313.jpg

P1010314.jpg

P1010315.jpg

MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allan

Discussion: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/21360-seedy-als-ace-hiace/?hl=hiace

• 1 month later...

so, with the nats looming, it occured to me I better get the van on its feet

So, on sunday I began removing engine

Then monday, or tuesday (cant remeber) pulled motor out, and got dirty.

so thats it for now, started pulling motor and box apart to see if it would fit the new motor, but no, so I am getting a another parts van this weekend that will hopefully have the gearbox adapoter etc that I need

So Pics

The Van

van.jpg

The hole

hole.jpg

The old Motor

van12r.jpg

Ands the new motor!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats right, Bens 18r for the fucken win

18r.jpg

Peroid motor for a period car!

So Happy, But wish It would just bolt in, was meant to have to in by end of weekend, but due to not meeting up, have to make it weekend after

Oh Well

Allan

So, after a fair bit of measureing etc, conluded the 18r wont bolt straight in, needed diffrent gear box and everything. so I took a gamble, and made a trip on sunday up to Dannyverk to see Wilf, who has a the place with heaps of cars up there.

I know he had three of these vans, and thought maybe one would have had a 18r in it.

and one fucken did. And it was the one with the least shit piled up to the roof in it, and on top of that, the motor and box where already out of the engine bay and just sitting in the back, so saved heaps of time there.

So had a good look over everything today. Turn out the van i got, was infact like mine, 12r powered, and someone had converted it to 18r single cam, and on cng, so this is mint, gear box is bolted onto the 18r already, and also so are the mounts. just need to cut the plates that are wleded onto the hood van cross member onto the hippy van, and I will be away,!!!

anyway, will post as I go.

heres pic of hood van I got off Wilf

hoodvan1.jpg

hoodvan3.jpg

hoodvan4.jpg

Fucken minter!

Allan

So took a fair bit of the day off today to get on with Van, as I see it Im nearly a week behind on where I wanted to be with it..

So, fist was sorting out the basics. The cross member in the parts van had had plates welded on to it to fit the 18r mounts. SO i needed to grind them off the old cross member to wled on the new ones

SO after that, I went out and got some gear box bolts to suit the 18rg as I had none long enough, they came from the boys at import enhancements.

Once that was done, I simply riased van, got motor underneath it, and riased motor and box into place.

From there, I taked the plates into where they needed to be, bolted gear box to chassis mounts. and sperated gear box and motor, to get motor out of the way to fully weld plates.

So after that, bolted motor and box back together, and bolted motor to mounts. And its in!!!!!!

Then just started sorting out all the small things, linkages etc

SO pics

Firstly, the plates that needed to be removed

motorfit01.jpg

The plates them selfs (10mm fuckers too!!!)

motorfit02.jpg

The van with motor underneath

motorfit03.jpg

Motor Temperally in there for tacking up plates

motorfit04.jpg

Just the motor

motorfit05.jpg

ANd me bolting in motor for the last time.

motorfit06.jpg

SO next is to keep on sorting out all the small shit,... sort out heater and radiaotr hoses, etc

So not far away,

Also, have new plugs and leads coming tomorrow. could almost have it running tomorrow if I get the time.

Mean

Allan

ok, motor is all in.

The alternator is fitted and wired

The radiator is in and all hooked up

the exhuast manifold is on

The coil is wired.

The fuel lines are done

The throttle cable is converted

and guess what.

IT RAN!!!!!!!

Not for long though as it was fucken noisy with no nuffler and shit

The tiing still needs major adjusting, and I tried to sort out the clutch slave today, but its fucked, so that wont be here till thursday

But still, im happy

So next is build exhuast, get clutch working

Set timing

and drive the girl

Then wof for the win!

Allan

Sweet, sorted clutch and exhaust today.

So tomorrow, I drive it. Cant wait, should be a good one.

Anyway.

Pics

First up, the many modded fractory down pipe (had to shorten it, bend pipes to match, then re bend in two places to get a decent angle and not hanging real low)

downpipe.jpg

The parts to make the exhuast out of (2 1/4inch pipe from down pipe through)

zuastparts.jpg

And the finished resualt all wleded up. And oh yes, ITS A SIDE PIPE

welded01.jpg

welded02.jpg

So yay!

Allan

So, the weekend is over.

And I have driven the van, pretty much the whole weekend.

tried to bleed up brakes on friday, got some brakes, but for some reason when It wasnt coming up mint, and pulling hard to the passenger side.

o, sunday, I checked it out, front right wheels cylinders aer poked, brake fluid everywhere, Have new wheels cylinders coming tomorrow. SO after that, it will be sweet as, take it for wof etc. its also now rolling on my crown rims and tires with the white wall inserts..... butt will prolly get the wheels and inserts put back on one of the sets of hiace rims, as the crown ones are sitting pretty.

So more fun, but very close!

then its time for some lowerage, prolly 2.5 inch blocks in back, (which is just of current bump stops)

And some sort of moddified pring in the front :D

(has double wish bone, so will be mega captaive no matter what I do, so yay!)

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

So, damn mean, im between working on pies bluebird etc have been trying to sort this.

So took it for a wof check today.

Basicly, new front brake hoses and a wheel bearing adjustment.

So Im stoked as!

Wiill have wof tomorrow, and also have some 2 1/2 lowering blocks on there way.

So It will also be lowered tomorrow.

I have also finshed installing my wanky but cheap tachometer, as I have had no idea what I have been reving it to, and the head unit is in there before

But damn its mean, 120k in third gear. And pops flames between gear changes....... Love it!!!!

pics tomorrow

Allan