sierra electronic dizzy

corrupt

Had a go at chucking one in the cortina today instead of the points setup. Took me a while to get it going, there was a lot of turning the dizzy, through trial and error to get it to fire up. Got it running and came to the dilema of doing the timing as im a eyes and ears man. For electronic dizzys im guessing that you NEED a timing light correct? Also i pulled the dizzy out to so i could position it better for the vacumn advance hose etc and when i put it back in i couldnt get it to fireup again/resorted to putting points dizzy back in for now. As im only familiar with timing with points/eyes/ears, im confused hard. Am i suppose to intall the dizzy at 0 btdc and rotor pointing spark plug number 1, and then go from there with a timing light, while twisting the dizzy to get the desired advance? Will the engine run at 0 btdc at all/just for testing purposes?

Shit thats almost a novel, meh. Enlighten me someone.

Guest WESTCORT

bro im having mad issues with my electronic setup at the moment. started the car today and took it for its first drive, seemed to be going ok, then all of a sudden it would jerk jerk jerk jerk jerk and jerk violently and die. id wait a while, start it up, drive for a bit then the same thing would happen. it sounds like my engine has too much advance, ie it drives fine until you try to put load on it, so the vacuum advance kicks in, then it gets too much advance and dies. not really sure where to go from here.

thats the problem with using this electronic shit, chances are nobody will use the same setup as you so cant go anywhere for advice etc. im using the esc2 silver motorcraft modle which had a box for relays but i removed most of them, which one are you using bro?

bro im having mad issues with my electronic setup at the moment. started the car today and took it for its first drive, seemed to be going ok, then all of a sudden it would jerk jerk jerk jerk jerk and jerk violently and die. id wait a while, start it up, drive for a bit then the same thing would happen. it sounds like my engine has too much advance, ie it drives fine until you try to put load on it, so the vacuum advance kicks in, then it gets too much advance and dies. not really sure where to go from here.

thats the problem with using this electronic shit, chances are nobody will use the same setup as you so cant go anywhere for advice etc. im using the esc2 silver motorcraft modle which had a box for relays but i removed most of them, which one are you using bro?

using the same as you ay, its interesting though, cause i have two wiring looms for it and they are both slightly different in their wire colours and one has BMW on the plug lol, so anyway i got confused hard. im pretty certain ill be using the same as you, got it ages ago but sure it was on an engine with all the other bs liek stepper motor, intake vacumn etc... wired mine up today using the diagram you posted up, and managed to get it idling but had to take it all off and revert to points because i needa sort out timing light/nice tidy wiring etc. havent touched the box, only the loom.

Guest WESTCORT

does yours come with a black box full of relays and the silver box with motorcraft on it? theres 2 diagrams in the haynes manual, one has the right colors and the other doesnt. pretty sure you dont need any of the relays, theres 1 to control the stepper motor after the engine is turned off, one to control the manifold heater, and i cant remember if there is a third 1 but you wont need it whatever it was.

im starting to think my problem is fuel related so im gona chuck a points dizzy in this arvo after work and see if it makes a difference. if not then ill check the timing with the points dizzy and then ill try swapping fuel pumps etc

Ive just got a silver box with motocraft on it, no black box of relays. The loom is made up of 24 wires, but other than the 3 wires that go to the dizzy, ive only used 4 other wires, 2xEarth/+coil/-coil, the rest seem to be bs which you dont need. Pretty sure we are dealing with the same thing.