Xf falcon wiring fault

PintoPusher

just bought an xf falcon, has reconditioned alternator, battery light on dash goes out once engine has been started though battery is not charging

anyone got any ideas, i havent even started having a look yet... could be something as easy as fuses... dont know... anyone know of any common charging system fault with this vehicle... has analog dash with digital fuel and temp gauges etc etc

I assume you have checked the battery doesnt have a dead cell, and that you arent seeing the voltage incresae at the battery when the alternator kicks in?

The dash has a second "layer" of digital gauges, one of these is a volt meter, and this should be flashing if the alternator is not working as well.

Get a multi meter or volt meter and put it across the battery. Check the voltage, I'd expect it to read between 13v-14v(You may need to rev the engine). This shows that alternator is working properly and this will confirm that the dash light is telling the truth and your battery is probably poked.

have jump started the coon, disconnected the battery... it still runs without the battery connected so i assume the charging system is fine, yes the battery is not holding charge... however the digital dash, fuel gauge/temp gauge and voltmeter are not working... is this related to the battery or is it cause by a fault somewhere in the system???

update. okay, got the dash going, replaced the battery, vehicle runs with battery terminals disconnected, connect battery and go for a drive, voltmeter on dash show voltage dropping.... anyone got an answer for this??? faulty alternator?? only producing a small charge at low revs and increasing revs uses more power which is why the voltage is dropping??? correct???

try regulator if the voltage is dropping with increased revs. had same prob on van and crown.

I'd be incloned to run an ammeter & voltmeter checkto confirm if it were me though.

also battery can be fucked over with this prob so make sure that's not causing you grief too.

recon alterator should have had that shit checked also, unless they just maori'd it up with a set of brushes etc

zomg rofl. sw that a while back

but yuh. If i were looking for another big car, then a mint 6yl XD would perhaps feature, if it were cheap as chips. many fond memories from my parents one back in the day etc.

Just on the quiet RT may know of a Dedicated LPG XF going for cheap soon... it's in Chch

thats one phat xf wagg'n cant exactly call it a shagg'n wagg'n anymore though... i mean if you were a dwarf then sure... it wud work, but... i dont think a dwarf could reach the peddles in one of those beasts, kinda renders it completey usless but none the less it still looks phat, what wud be mean though is an xf wagg'n convertable with a spa and mini bar in the back :)