ProZac's 80 Sapporo

ProZac

(Yes, i know this is a Starion, scroll down a little and see what happens)

front011206.jpg

rear011206.jpg

I've had a few before, was building an EX when this came up for a very good price, couldnt say no. EX got the biff, and this is the new whip. I bought it with a big sticker reading "Some Assembly Required"... But its all there, and i know where it all goes, hopefully!

engine011206.jpg

Step one is putting the motor back together and getting it running. New rings and bearings ofcourse, and some higher comp pistons i had from another motor that were in tip-top shape. Had the crank polished up, rebuilt the head aswell. Put some blanking plugs where the jet valves used to be. Havent tried them out before, so i sure hope the head dosent crack... ;).

motortop011206.jpg

Only colour i could get 2.5" hosing in for the cross-over pipe to TB connection was blue, so i went with a blue theme on the rest of the motor also. Sand-blasted the rockercover, polished up the lettering, masked it off and sprayed. Looks damn good. I did the same for the ECI-cap. It may be a shit system, but damn it may aswell look good.

intakemanifold011206.jpg

Rebuilt the glorified carburettor that is the single point injection system while i was at it. I've never seen an original one that dosent leak, they all need a good once-over by this stage. Removed the EGR emmisions crap, tidies things up heaps.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my exhaust manifold re-surfaced and fixed up, put some new studs in, purdy. Only needed one helicoil. Best of all, its not cracked! finding one of these un-cracked is getting quite difficult. It wont be hanging around for long, but it'll do for getting it up and running.

161206exmanifold.jpg

Mate has some exhaust wrap left over, so i used that, looks the goods now. Hopefully it actually does something as well.

161206exmanifoldwrapped.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, well, I need to make up my mind and actually get a car running! I've purchased a rather fubar'd sapporo... It goes BANG BANG KNOCK KNOCK... But i do have that motor all built... hehe. I prefer the sapporo shape over the staz, so its getting the motor for the moment.

130107side.jpg

130107engine1.jpg

130107engine2.jpg

130107bentrearstrut2.jpg

Well, while waiting to pull the motor out, as its a bit of a 2 person job, i had a go at cleaning up some of the interior. Last owner must have been a smoker because holy fucking shit does it stink in there. Seats were taken out and a good vacuuming commenced. Came up alright for a first try. More involved cleaning can come when its actually back on the road.

140107interior2.jpg

At about this stage i opened up the boot and started emptying all the shit in there out... Holy fuck what a mess... At some stage someones spilt a LOT of sugar in there, its gotten pretty wet and formed gloopy messes everywhere :(. That fluid you can see pooled at the bottom of the wheel-well is actually dissolved sugar. Its thick and syrup-like... tasty. I bet my car is sweeter than yours, for real. Anyways, after getting in there with the hose and scrubbing brush it came up 'aiight, smelt a lot better also.

140107boot1.jpg

That white power ain't cocaine, grrrrr.

140107boot4.jpg

My oil-cooler is huge and awesome.

140107oilcooler.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

New motor is in, interior is all cleaned up, starion seats bolted in with no issues :). I replaced the bent rear strut, with a spare one (also from a starion)

Cranked over the motor for 15-30 seconds with no coil lead to get some oil flowing, then hook it up and kicked it in the guts... Started up first try with no problems whatsoever! couldnt even hear the tappets, wicked. Runs smooth as so far. Tomorrow i'll hook up the fans and actually take it for a drive.

070207started_copy2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New wheels, fixed lots of little problems, cleaned up the engine bay alot. Its running really well now, engine hasen't flown to pieces yet, which is nice ;). Its just a little faster than a standard one i rekon, doe to the lack of clutch-fan and no balance shafts. Its almost impossible to drive without boost, as the turbo is so small it spools instantly. No point in revving it beyone 4500 really, as its all over by then, heh. I rekon i could pull a standie at 2500-odd rpm though :). I'll give it a go when it hits the 1000km mark.

200407enginebay.jpg

200407enginebay2.jpg

200407front.jpg

200407interior.jpg

200407wheel.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hmmmmmm, so this machine has found its way back into my garage. Its not mine however, its just been given to a mate of mine, and im going to fix it up for him as he doesnt have the time or space. Was running really nicely when i sold it, it was then sold again, and the new owner decided to freeboost it... cue smashed piston ringlands. Luckily the head, crank and bores still look okay.

Plan is to whip the motor out, strip it down (should be nice and clean still because it hasent been together long!), rehone the block, slap some new (2nd hand) pistons and rings in it, and hope for the best. Yeah, its been abused a bit and is generally pretty untidy, but it'll buff out! :P

081027rear.jpg

081027enginebay.jpg

081027frontshunt.jpg

081027interior.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been tinkering away when not studying for exams. Motor is out and disassembled. Everything still looked mint inside, bearings dont have a mark on them, etc... Block has been honed, so its all ready to go back together, bar givinging everything a good clean and blow out.

dsc01933.jpg

dsc01935.jpg

dsc01937.jpg

• 1 month later...

No motor build shots alas, needless to say I'm a lazy bastard and took way longer to do it than I should have. Had exams at the time tho, and then lots of work afterwards... Excuses excuses... Anyway, it's all back together. Fired it up for the first time yesterday. Had the dizzy one tooth out (as usual), once I sorted that it started right up and ran on 3, like any good mitsy :). After checking the oil pressure was up (it was, I'd primed the oil pump before starting), i gave it a few rev's... cleaned up and ran on 4, nice. Smoked like a train tho, but this stopped after a while. Pumped up the tires and threw some gas in it today, and it seems to be running okay. Have just given it back to my mate, so I really hope the motor doesn't fly to pieces, as I'm by no means an expert! Didn't smoke when he drove off down the road tho, so that much be a good sign. Enough of this rambling bullshit, pics of oldschool mitsy awesomeness follow:

dsc01940.jpg

dsc01947.jpg

dsc01942.jpg

dsc01950.jpg

Man im glad those gauges still work, i spent way to much time installing those, hah! Kinda makes me want a starion again, but man, i like steering racks to much, and love my chevette/gemini project to much... Plus i have my L200 parts hauler to satisfy my mitsy needs, which has all the bits for its tadty new motor sitting in the corner waiting to be built :)

Chur.