EFI_LCs 1970 Torana LC

EFI_LC

side_2.jpg

I am a new member and drive this regularly and am slowly building up my pet into an everyday driver/club racer/ DYO drag car. I was a bit slack for a while but I have just splashed out on a few things for her. I do have a crossmember modded for a small block chev but I like the EFI six for now and I dont really need to strengthen or cert anything.

Motor:

• 3300 EFI VK Commodore (Black Motor)

• Bosch LE2 Jetronic EFI (Standard Commodore VK)

• 12 Port Yella Terra Head

• Factory Headers, modified to suit below first collectors

• 2â€

• 1 year later...

Ok... I have been busy with this project and Have decided that I wanted more HP... I looked at many many options including Chev and Lexus V8s and Nissan 6 plus a few others I won't talk about as I may yet do this in another vehicle.

I asked some of the top Holden 6 cylinder guys and the and as my engine was overdue for retirement decided to get some real HP from a 202/3.3 normally aspirated.

Black VK 3.3 Motor

Pacemaker Headers with bolt on straight thru pipe for racing

Triple 45 DCOE Webers (off a motor that had 245kW)

Redline Filters (Will replace with trumpets soon)

Redline Linkages (Solid not rubber mounted)

Redline 6-port inlet Manifold (Mildly ported)

Roller rockers (Brand new)

Solid lifters (Brand new)

Yella Terra 12-port (modified for rockers and compression)

New billet cam with peak HP around 7000rpm

ACL race series pistons and rings

ACL race series bearings

3.3 Rods

Balanced and modified Blue crank

Block will be cleaned, bored and decked

Hopefully its all put together and running in the next couple weeks and should return somewhere between 260-300hp on the street.

Next on the list will be the drivetrain and bigger rear tyres as the 195x60x14s will struggle for traction.

I was going to mod a Banjo diff but this won't be strong enough so may have to go Ford 8" and Toyota 5-speed as well as possible tubbing into the chassis rail.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so its time for an update of the torry...

I finally have finished doing other things and now have turned my attention on my #1 project.

Here is my modified standard inlet from a carby black motor. A 4-barrel adapter plate welded onto it and the centre plate removed to allow the full 4 pots to be used. I used this as an experiment with a 450CFM and a 600CFM Holley.

old-manifold-1.jpg

Heres all the old EFI wiring which I have now removed to make way for the triple Weber set.

wiring-1.jpg

The Yella Terra head which I will decided what to do with after I get a quote to upgrade this or start from a fresh black head.

YellaTerra-1.jpg

valves-1.jpg

The Pacemaker Headers are considerably bigger than my old standard efi black motor flows so will help in the power stakes.

pacemaker-2.jpg

More pics of the parts....

yellaterra.jpg

Temporary head until I get a custom built unit is 10:1 compression Yella Terra 12-port (Bathurst 12000) Blue motor configuration stage3 fitted with 1.740" & 1.550" valves, 56cc chambers, dbl springs 127lb on seat.

webers.jpg

Triple 45DCOE Webers, on a Redline inlet manifold and Redline linkage kit

roller-rockers.jpg

Roller Rockers by Comp Cams, adjustable and mounted on new 7/16 studs and guide plates.

pistons.jpg

Weight matched flat top pistons, Race series ACL Larry Perkins

lifters.jpg

Solid lifters by Comp Cams

harmonic-balancer.jpg

Brand new race version harmonic balancer

gaskets.jpg

ACL race series gasket and bearings

flat-top-piston.jpg

Flat top piston, ACL race series on 3.3 rods (starfire which are stronger than 202)

cam.jpg

Kelford designed a race spec cam to suit the new specs

pacemaker-2.jpg

Pacemaker Headers to extract the unwanted

It is coming along and after the short block is assembled I will throw the head on then paint it, I will look at making a crank scraper and baffle the sump as well.

• 1 month later...

A couple more things I have done so took some progress pics

Spent the day sorting out and painting the engine bay.

I am a bitch to myself sometimes.... I started work at 10pm last night had 2 hours sleep this morning then spent the day working on cars lol... Its great working night shift but sometimes I cant resist getting up and into it without much sleep.

engine-bay-3.jpg

engine-bay-2-2.jpg

engine-bay-1-2.jpg

2 brand new Bridgestone Potenza

G3-tyres.jpg

The tires take a hammering as you can see by the rubber everywhere.

G3-tyres-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

newengine-5.jpg

New roller rockers, hardened pushrods, new guide plates, new studs, new double valve springs, ported inlet/exhaust, oversize valves, composite head gasket etc.

newengine-2.jpg

Triple 45DCOE Weber carbs, Pacemaker extractors, all port matched and machined to line up.

newengine-3.jpg

Dialing in the Cam

A few other things needed but getting close now to dropping it back into the old girl, many things have been done that needed doing after some parts had been upgraded and if the engine had been assembled would have caused a few problems. Thank goodness for an experienced engine builder.

I hope to have the engine sitting in today and hopefully have finished rewiring it by the weekend and have it running. My engine builder pulled the carbs apart and reckons they shouldn't be too far out for this motor although they did come off a higher spec engine and will still need a bit of tuning to get the best from them.

Ok so its finally back in the old girl, first few photos are without the gearbox cross-member holding the back of the engine up.

It seems like an eternity since I had my car on the road, I dunno how people can go without there projects for 6 months or more as I am getting withdrawal symptoms from just 2 months.

newengine-in-1.jpg

newengine-in-2.jpg

newengine-in-3.jpg

The Triples are mounted and I am still sorting out the plumbing, I will get everything functioning using as much stuff as I can from before then when everything is ok I will do a further tidy of the engine bay.

newengine-in-4.jpg

pacemakers-silver.jpg

I like the silver (high heat paint) better than the blus they came with and I will see how long it lasts

253-1.jpg

Heres the 253 I bought for my son, if it doesn't go into his HZ I might use it in my Commodore, bonus it comes with an economical Quadrajet with mechanical linkage. These carbs have very small primary venturis and huge secondaries which is ideal for hot motors for economy when cruising and from memory are 780cfm when fully open. They sound great on a V8

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went to the drags not totally happy with the performance of the engine and apart from one half reasonable run I had good reason.

I had plenty of grip which was good I guess but the carbs were running rich and I wasn't running as much advance on the dizzy as I used to as the revs have increased and I never wanted to detonate the new engine.

On approx 12 degrees total advance I managed a few passes around 15-14.8 but on the second run I managed a 14.215@95.74mph which gave me encouragement and I reckon there is at least .5 seconds improvement still there with most of that in the dizzy without getting the carbs jetting correctly.

The idle jets I settled on were what I could find at the time 65s as the 45s which were in there to begin with were too lean so I'm trying to source some 55s to get it running ok to around 3500rpm.

I have found that one carb is set different to the others and will fix that this week, I have been swatting up on the carbs and have some other stuff to check on as well.

I don't like the airfilters I have at present and will have to get trumpets for optimal performance.

LC-1.jpg

dragslip-first.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well I havn't posted for a long time but that doesn't mean I have been ignoring my little Torana 6.

A few meetings back I reached one of my goals... 100mph in the quarter and broke the 14 second barrier.

Since then I have been slowly trying a few new things and I finally decided the head needed some work. So with that cleaned up I went to the 4's n rotors last weekend and posted my best time for this car.

13.573@101.58mph and I had to use an open NON LSD diff 3.55:1

And the funny thing is the engine is actually in worse tune now than usual so I am hoping I can get even more out of this wee beast.

I have now raised the bar and am going to see how close to a 12 second pass I can run on a standard bottom end :D

• 10 months later...

Ok so I decided to add a bit of an update to my project thread.

Moments of Note:

After my mouth watering 13.5 second pass I went 13.1@103mph

I decided to throw in a Hilux diff with a Supra head and 3.9 gears

2 meetings ago was the first time with this combo and I had a broken plug and only ran 14.0

Last meeting the timing lights broke so no times although I went through the end fastest ever on the speedo.

I have had the hilux in for a bit longer but was running 4.3 gears which was too low for my bus.

Next meeting I am adjusting the diff for a bit for more traction using adjustable top arms which I will put on Sunday.

I need to check the rockers and set clearances then recheck the balance of the carbs.

I feel I am a gnats whisker from a 12.9 and if I can reproduce the 1.9 60ft from a couple of meetings ago I am in.

Just another small but significant item to add to the car to help the overall handling which I will put on this weekend I hope.

top-arms-1.jpg

Above are the new adjustable top arms for the diff to allow myself to tune the diff in for the given application.

Below is the standard (spare) arm I was thinking of modifying but now I don't have to :)

top-arms-4.jpg

Recently I picked up 4 x 225x50x15's with a treadwear factor of 50, these are basically sticky ass street tires and would be classed as road legal race rubber!

tyre-1.jpg

tyre-2.jpg

tyre-3.jpg

Also recently I upgraded the Brakes and changed to a softer spring + spacer to try but I think I will go back to the stiffer spring but as I have a different stub axle position will need the spacer otherwise it may be too low.

springs.jpg

Well I have done the next step to try for some additional traction at the 1/4 mile.

I replaced the lowered and uprated springs and shocks with standard springs to soften the rear, and the good quality shock were replaced stock Vauxhall Victor ones. A bite of a swap with the rubber mounts was all that was needed.

The other thing Idid was to take 5mm out of the top arms of my 4-link hilux diff setup and now have adjustable top arms.

I also picked up some avgas ready for next weekend and will run mix tomorrow to prepare the engine for racing.

Apart from a few minor things I am ready and once again I have made another small change in hope of finding and extra bit for the drags.... I friend of mine has helped me so much with pointers and built the engine after I gave him a pile of parts is very interested as he has seen plenty of these struggle to do a 13 second so I feel pretty good that I am searching for a 12.

13.1 seems like a failure although I get told its an awesome time for a 202.

Maybe just maybe once I get my 12 I might turn my attention to a forced induction but if I do I would want 10s from a 6 cylinder street car but would need to sell my LC to achieve this...... Dunno as I really love this little beast.

• 2 months later...

Well I have been tinkering again, this time I added another Holden 4-speed from an XU-1. I gives taller first gear and with the same 1:1 top gear closes the gearing to allow the engine to stay on the cam in the 3-4 change.

So I went to Nelson for the Easter drags and got a suprise.

Reaction Time: .540

60ft time: 2.162

660ft speed: 83.49

660ft time: 8.684

1/4 mph: 105.39

1/4 time: 13.403

That mph exceeds anything I thought possible when I built this engine.

Next plans - pull diff head and get tightened as I still havn't done this.

Today's plan is to pull diff out and start setting up the circuit suspension in the rear.

• 3 months later...