LPG

Guest vhpacer73

Guest vhpacer73

I have recently bought an hq holden ute with a 308 v8. Im wanting to put a LPG kit in it but I dont know anything about it. I thought I could get the tank and do the carb and get the rest done professionaly. I have a few q's.

1. Do the heads need to be modified?

2. Do you need a whole new carb or can a mixer just be put in the original carb?

3. What would it cost to get done if i supplied the tank and carb?

4. Would running the V8 on LPG change the exhaust note?

Thanks

Basing this on my new found knowledge with my XF falcon..

1. The heads don't need to be modified but often people do skim them to raise compression as you can run higher comp with Gas.

2. I think you need a different carb, my carb on my inline 6 looks like weird, it's like one big hole with a butterfly..thats all.

3. It cost about $2500-3000 for a conversion without supplying the parts.. so I don't know you would have to ring and ask. I'm gussing $1500?

4. You arn't worried about the power loss? or do you just want to sound cool lol... yes it changes the exhaust note. Gas has to run a lot more volume than petrol. ie, you have pump through a lot more gas into the engine than petrol. So although it is cheaper, it's not as cheap as some expect. Anyway, this increase in volume naturally = an increase in volume at the exhaust end. So your exhaust system basically gets smaller as it's got alot more gas in it. So quieter and more wafty.. clouds of LPG at start up etc. And you get that crazy gas noise in the engine too.

hope this helps.