mate done my timing today unsure its right

WildPlumDx

my mate done my timing today but not sure its right coz first he didnt even use the bright links to set it up! but hes sure its all good he reakons you dont need too use them but i'm not so sure! what do you guys think coz i'm unkeen to pull it apart again if hes done it wrong! whats the worse you can do if your engines out of time besides bend valves?

whind the engine over buy hand and see if it locks up if it get tight and cant be moved the timing is out, if you can do a couple of revs the valves arent going to hit he pistons, so you can start it and see if he is a tooth or 2 out.

By saying bright links I guess you are talking about timing an engine that has a timing chain?? If so, it doesn't really matter where you have the links as long as you KNOW the cam and crank gears are properly aligned. Also it'd take HEAPS of revolutions to line up the links with the timing marks on the gears too, unless you wanted to remove the chain and start again.

You can turn the engine over by hand to make sure as said above, but if only a few teeth out, the piston could still miss the valves but would run like shit!!