turbo troubles???

kiwi510

If your turbo shits itself and starts blowing smoke out the exhaust, do you normally find oil in the intake pipe running into the engine(no intercooler)????????

Mine is smoking hard out, and the plugs are oil fouled, just recond the head with valve seals, acid clean and pressure test so no issue there. Dont think its the pistons as they looked fine when i had the head off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :wink:

there's often (some) oil in the intake plumbing... but it's not a good sign. If the turbo is blowing clouds of WHITE/GREY smoke out the back to make batman proud then it could well be blown turbo oil seals.

If it's clouds of BLACK smoke then it could be running too rich. If it's Blue smoke then it's piston rings.

However, if you've just put the thing together and have forgot to include the restrictor to the oil feed it may be getting too much oil and burning it off.

It won't be your pistons if you don't have too much blow-by coming out the filler cap.

At a guess I think it's time for a turbo rebuild.

thanks for the reply........restrictor to the oil feed????? there is an oil sender unit which i have attached the oil feed to.

the smoke is definately white grey, and there is no oil coming out of the filler cap.

so there could be oil fouling the plugs from the turbo yet no oil in the intake pipe??????

Have you it going before or is this a fresh conversion/build or something...?

Is the oil feed factory or did you make one is what I'm trying to say. Often if you just make a tube and fitting as an oil feed it will be too big and pump too much oil in the turbo. Been there, done that. You have to fit a restrictor in the line. Carb jets are good. Like my T3 uses a 1.8mm restrictor.

But if you're running a factory setup then don't touch it.

Turbo smoke is distinguishly white normally. It won't foul your plugs or smoke/oil into your intake because it's coming out the back of the turbo exhaust housing and straight into your exhaust pipe.

Have you it going before or is this a fresh conversion/build or something...?

Is the oil feed factory or did you make one is what I'm trying to say. Often if you just make a tube and fitting as an oil feed it will be too big and pump too much oil in the turbo. Been there, done that. You have to fit a restrictor in the line. Carb jets are good. Like my T3 uses a 1.8mm restrictor.

But if you're running a factory setup then don't touch it.

Turbo smoke is distinguishly white normally. It won't foul your plugs or smoke/oil into your intake because it's coming out the back of the turbo exhaust housing and straight into your exhaust pipe.

No oil restrictor might be a good start, as i am just running an oil pipe into the turbo at the moment as the factory one was missing.

i am wondering weather the plugs were petrol fouled.