Airfilter on my mini.

Guest dreadedretard

Guest dreadedretard

I was thinking about updating my filter on the carb on my mini to something like a pod filter or another filter of that sort but the problem i have is that the fulter comes off the carb and theres a side exit which goes down onto a pipe of the extractor which i believe wamrs up the engine when started. Is it needed and can i update my filter and remove that extractor hose? Oh and any ideas for types of filters? Cheers.

Guest dreadedretard

Dont get smart buddy. Ive got up to 95 k's and it was still humming and i ran outta street and my mum was a bit scared. But yea i dunno about the filter. A new filter will make it breath easier and also looks cool. Chuck a bit of chrome in the greased up engine.

Guest kornstar

yeah rip out the pipe that comes from the engine area, its useless. get a trumpet filter and a sock for it, they sound cool on a mini! :D

Got a K&N on myne. Sounds really loud from inside the car. Made buggerall difference to the power though but occasionally notice better performance going uphill (Can get further before dropping into 1st :) ) I now have to drive with the choke pretty much always out now. Runs to lean without the choke.

Hears a pic.

7878945_full.jpg

Part number is 56-1620. The hole in the base was a smaller diameter so I had to Chop file and bend to make it fit. It has an attacment for that hose your talking about.

Sorry my mistake. I've reread the other messages and realised you are talking about something totally different. The hot air pickup your talking about takes warm air from the extractors/manifold so your mini runs better on cold mornings. The K&N doesn't allow for this as for more performance you need cold air.

The hose attachment i'm taking about is for what i thnink might be a vacuum hose. It connects to the opposite side on a standard filter drum. Be careful about spending $100 plus on a k&N for a mini as myne already runs rough on cold mornings and will probably get worse when we get into winter. But don't bother with Ramflo and other foam filters as they tend to light up in flames occasionally.

My carb is standard, They are real expensive. I checked retail and it was about $220. I got myne off trademe for heaps less so try there. Listen to CaM as he seems to know a bit more about the performance side of minis.. I'm still learning too

for the money, get ahold of a set of twin carbs or something..... i'd hit a ramflow, just make sure you heatsheild it from the exhaust, it gets really hot back there.....

I used to run no filter at all on a downdraft weber, (couldn't close the bonnet with a k&n without cutting a hole in there) ended up scorching the paint on the underside of the bonnet, used to backfire a bit when it was cold (choke wasnt set right, used to flood) make sure it's all tuned and a foam filter will be sweet.... gettin cold air to it would be a good idea if at all possible.

if it's only a 998cc, it may have a 1.25" SU carb on it, a 1.5" form a slightly later model 998, or from a 1098cc (with correct neddle and piston spring) is a good upgrade from that.... post a pic of your carb if you don't know which you have and I should be able to tell

Guest dreadedretard

Phat mini. Oh and did you get ur grill re-done or summin? and also under ur bonnet do you have the two metal bits and rubbers to keep the bonnet down. I just realised the other day that they arent there which means by bonnet sticks up about a centimetre or so more than it should. it doesnt line up with the grill. cheers.

I'm not sure what you mean about the bonnet meatal things ya retard :D I know on myne the front sticks forwards about 10mm from the surrounding panels, but the top is flush. I've seen other minis like this so maybe it's normal.

The grill I painted white. It was one of those boring black ones so i thought it would look cool if it blended with the stripes and roof. I reckon it was the one thing that made my mini-the white grill. The first photo in that bunch shows what it looked like before the quality paintjob. I redid the grill with the same acrylic laquer as used on the roof.

I've been messing around all day trying to prep it for a warrent. Keep finding faults. Bloody shit old cars - i lovem

Guest dreadedretard

Hmm.... white ay... :P i might do that. thanks for the tip:P I still dont know what my priority list is though.. i mite just go look for the moment.

Did u remove any dents or rust from ur grill?

cheers.

Guest dreadedretard

You got any ideas of how to remove the dents? especially on the surround on the bonnet. its real fucked up ay. it annoys me so much.

Try taking the top surround (mini people call them the moustache) off the bonnet and straightening with wood and soft hammer possibly. Be real careful. Have you got a front photo?

You know when you said the bonnet didn't line up. Were you meaning the moustach doesn't line up with the side grill surrounds (if looking from front) ? if so use bolts between the moustache base and the bonnet. Put the screw throught the bolts. They will act as a spacer so the moustache sits lower. This is how i lined myne up.

Another tip for ya. If you have dirty brown seems going around the windscreen and rear screen, paint over them in silver paint.

Guest dreadedretard

Na about the mistache thing its just the whole bonnet sits up out of line with the grill. and i think i mite need a new grill.. and surrounds...you know what they are worth?

Sorry - no idea of cost. Occasionally they are on trademe but i reckon keep an eye out for minis being wrecked in the Buy sell exchange. Try mini spares and repairs. Also Swift automotive do mini bits. If you do find someone selling them cheap though let me know.