Search the Community

Showing results for tags '13b'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Technical
    • Tech Talk
    • Tech Articles
  • Projects
    • Projects and Build Ups
    • Project Discussion
    • Two Wheels
  • Oldschool Happenings
    • Upcoming OS Events
    • Upper North Island Region
    • Lower North Island Region
    • South Island Region
    • International/Australia

Categories

There are no results to display.


Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


Website URL


Skype


Interests

Found 2 results

  1. This is where we get to talk oil leaks, poor brakes, electrical issues and the reason why this needs a rotary engine.
  2. Hey guys n gals This is my newly completed project build-up from the last god knows how long (4-5 years maybe?!). Acquired it is a rough rolling body, with rust-chomped doors and sills. However I saw through the nastiness to the potential of getting it back on the road where it belongs. Too many get parted out when in a reasonable condition and I couldn't bring myself to strip it. The first several years it sat in storage whilst I slowly starting obtaining the parts I needed to piece it together. A buddy took it under his wing in this time to straighten out the panels and primer coat it. I had no idea what colour to go for at this stage and decided it was best to make that the last thing on the list. I obtained a stripped old skool 13b block through a connection, and got together all the required kit for a complete rebuild. The plates were a throw out so we found some good donor series 4 plates, the rx4 housings were really nice for their age so I got lucky with that. A good friend who is a hobby engine builder of great reputation did the assembly for me whilst I worked on finishing the interior and acquiring the running gear. I found a series 4, 5 speed box and had the shifter position shortened to save cutting up the gearbox tunnel. It has an Exedy 4 puk ceramic heavy duty clutch mated to a Green bros lightened 12 pound flywheel. Everything was dropped in with relative ease although mounts had to be fabricated to suit the upgraded motor and box. For certification purposes a drive shaft loop was made up and the driveshaft itself had to be cut down to suit the new gearbox placement. I decided, (being an 80's kid with a 90's rotary passion), to keep the block N/A and fed by a 48mm Weber IDA. Of course the mandatory high-rise K&N filter was to sit through the bonnet also! The Weber is fed via 3/8 stainless braided lines from a Carter pump which keeps up with the demand. The bridgeport is cooled through an aftermarket 3 core aly rad and oil cooler which do their job well even in heavy traffic or under high revs. Another buddy (Andre Antonievich Automotive -shout out!) fabricated a new exhaust to suit. We opted for Adrenalin R resonators and 7" muffler in a two to one,under the diff formation. At this stage security was the next concern as it was starting to turn heads whilst being trailored around. My auto sparky buddy wired in a 5 star arm complete with GPS tracking with is great piece of mind. It gives you the ability to disable the engine remotely and track not only location, but speed and revs. I replaced most of the interior and had to turf the original seats due to being irreparable. Recaro reclineables were fabricated to suit the existing floor rails. Most other dash and interior items were replaced also to complete the look. Carpet was also replaced as the 30+ year stuff was starting to stink a little. Once everything was wired up and engine was tuned over the Rx7 was taken to Brent at Dynopower Tauranga for a pre-run in tune on the dyno. The car was making great power at such an early stage and only minor adjustments were needed to the electronic dizzy and MSD spark set up. The car was then taken to be certified in Papamoa, and got the all clear on its second visit after some minor issues needed addressing. Back to my buddy who did the original panel work years before to complete the job.......I had decided on a subtle yet clean look, nothing too bright and bold like some of the other early rotors on the road. I found a grey tone by Lamborghini called 'Gregio Telesto'. It has a blue/grey appearance in the shade but under sunlight a gold and sky blue shimmer too. I have various sets of wheels for the Mazda but it rides best on the 15" Challengers which are normally on it. Future work includes adjustable suspension to get a more aggressive lower stance, and the possibility of a 13b turbo engine swap once Ive had enough fun with it Cheers for reading, if ya see us out and about (most likely gassing up) feel free to say hi or have a yarn, Im more than happy to talk if your planning a similar resurrection! Noomz