Damien's 83 Mitsubishi Sigma Wagon

Reason why I have to sell my SE Lancer!

Brought myself a new work hack.

1983 Mitsubishi Sigma Stationwagon. Pretty damn straight. Rust free!

Sigmawagon3.jpg

Sigmawagon2.jpg

Sigmawagon1.jpg

At the moment im in the middle of installing central locking to all 5 doors. A pretty grimey greasey job as the wagon has been rust protected with that tectyl shiz and it is EVERYWHERE!

Sigmawagon.jpg

Whoever carried out the rust protection (Todd motors probably) went all out! To the extent of cutting holes in the sills and pretty much filling them with tectyl.

SigmawagonSill.jpg

It took ages to feed wires down the rear hatch coz its chocka full of crap!

Not mad tho. Reason why its so mint I guess.

Discussion Thread

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pic of the diff

Sigmawagondiff.jpg

Its had larger springs fitted in the back. I guess for towing maybe.

Future plans for the wagon is to bring the centre of gravity down and slap on some 14" rims of some sort. Been stuck to yahoo japan looking at wheels to buy. 14x8 and 14x7 pref but doubtful they will fit.

When I finish the Turbo Lancer (10years +) this car may become my next project.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing much exciting going on.

Finished the central locking. Works pretty good.

Took it for a WOF last week and passed first time.

Went to pick a part today to get a 1 piece driveshaft. Don't really like 2 piece driveshafts and my one had a slight vibration. Swapped em over and works well.

P1040755.jpg

Still tryn to find shocks and springs that'l fit the rear.

• 3 months later...

Have been mucking around with the suspension in this car.

Brought some Starion front springs to get compressed and slap in the front struts. They looked like they would fit the rears so gave it a try. Instant slammage! The arse was low but the front was high. Constant launching!

Walked up and down the isles at Pick a Part to find a car with similar springs.

Found a VW Golf that looked very close.....but shit knows how you get them struts out!

So a quick look on trademe found a complete set of VW Golf springs for $1.00 reserve. My kinda price! Ended up wining them for $1.50.

Put the front Golf springs in the Sigma struts to see how they sit. They were almost perfect but I decided to get them compressed by 50mm. Now the front was lower then the rear.

Found another set of Golf springs, again for $1.00 reserve. They were aftermarket lowering springs. Ended up winning them for $10.50. Chucked the front Golf springs in the rear of the Sigma and looks very good. Bumps need to be cut/replaced though.

Anyway, pics.

From this:

Sigmawagon3.jpg

To this:

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

It rides extremely smooth and comfortable. And its all done proper like (for once!) Big thanks to Wijnhoud for getting my struts shortened! Springs were compressed by Archers springs. $100 a pair.

Next - Wheels.

Discuss - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23546

• 4 weeks later...

Hot.....as......BALLS!

Decided to try and paint these suckers.

Went to Supercheap to get a Silver/grey colour. The guy said it would be the colour on the cap but it was like a crappy chrome colour. URGH!

Went to Repco and got a can of Dupli color mag wheel re-coating thingee. Exactly what I want! Looks choice IRL!

Prep

IMG_3609.jpg

Prime

IMG_3615.jpg

Colour

IMG_3623.jpg

Didnt get the call I was hoping for today so will get the front rims next week sometime. Will also get tyres for these at the same time. Probably will go for the 185/55/14 rears and 165/60/14 fronts.

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3624.jpg

Its so hot, my PS3 wont play games! Need to play Call of Duty!!!

• 2 weeks later...

BIG PHOTO UPDATE

Got all me rims back from being widened. Cheers to the Steel Surgeon (Carlos)

Zipped down to Drury Tires to get the tyres fitted.

Decided to run with:

7" fronts - 175/60/14

8" Rears - 185/55/14

Was hoping to put 165/60 to the fronts but they didnt have any.

Any, pics.

Before with standard rims

IMG_3648.jpg

On the ground with widened steelies

IMG_3649.jpg

My puppy is so photogenic

IMG_3650.jpg

IMG_3651.jpg

Took it out for a little shoot.

IMG_4053.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4060.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

Had a coupla fattys in the wags

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4067.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

Very happy with the way it looks aside from the height up front. I will be making adjustable struts for the fronts to even it out.

Decided against the wheel trims as I dont have a matching set. Just realised that I had 4 different wheel trims.

So yeah......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mucked around on the wagon today.

Sick of it scraping every time I back out my drive so decided to hack the tail pipe off.

IMG_4977.jpg

Out comes my buddy Angle Grinder

IMG_4978.jpg

Looks much cleaner now. Gonna keep it like that too. Just hope it doesn't fill the cabin up with gases!

Ive been thinking about my wheels and have come to the conclusion that they are not wide enough.

Thought i'd try putting the 8" on the front and see if it'l fit.

IMG_4979.jpg

IMG_4980.jpg

IMG_4981.jpg

Doesnt look too bad. If I was to jam maybe the 175/60 on the 8's, they'l fit inside the guards sweetaz. Thats with no guard rolling or flaring.

So my next plan is to go wider. 8" fronts and 9" - 91/2" rears. Although I think Steelies may not cut it. May have to fork out for SSR's

First though...........MORE LOW!

• 6 months later...

Nothing really exciting going on.

Motor is starting to get tired and sad. Been on the lookout for a suitable replacement. Something with minimal effort to instal or just rebuild the current donk.

Have collected a few parts for the wagon but im probably going to concentrate on the Lancer this Spring/Summer. Need to get that other sake of shit running and sold. With baby on the way (in 5 days!) it wont give me much time for anything.

Cleaned the wagon and took the dog out for a cruise to Clark's beach.

IMG_6236.jpg

IMG_6227.jpg

Hes a happy bloke.

Still on the lookout for more parts, mainly a clock (hint hint) and other assorted bits so if you know anyone with a Sigma wagon please let me know.

Cherio

• 2 months later...

So I picked up a twin carb setup to suit SOHC 4G63. Big thanks to oldrx.

IMG_7288.jpg

Plans are to re kit these if possible. They have also made me think about doing a rebuild and see if I can build a lightly modded SOHC 4G63. Will weigh up my options whether I should do this our just get an injected 4G63.

Took a couple of pics today.

IMG_7276.jpg

IMG_7275.jpg

IMG_7282.jpg

• 2 months later...

So...Ive ditched the idea of trying to run the twin carbs. Fuel talked some sense into me.

I managed to score a GSR Sapporo instrument cluster a while back. Thanks to Damian for sourcing it for me.

IMG_9033.jpg

Ive had it in the Sigma for a bit and have never connect the oil pressure and amp meter gauges. So, over the holidays I tried my best to sort this out.

I managed to get the amp gauge going sweet but the oil pressure gauge is crap. I brought a sender off a guy on trademe which he said came off a G63B engine. Sadly, it doesnt work. :doubt:

Me mucking around with ride height

IMG_9019.jpg

IMG_9020.jpg

I had a set of Sigma steel centre caps on my trademe watchlist for almost a year. the guy first listed them for $80! I knew they wernt gonna sell for that amount so kept saving them to my watchlist waiting for him to lower the price. It took a bloody long time but managed to score them for $21. A big thanks to Daniel (DJZ) for pick'n them up and sending them up to Auckland.

Got them today.

Old caps.

IMG_9714.jpg

IMG_9716.jpg

New caps

IMG_9718.jpg

IMG_9720.jpg

So now I can ceremoniously DESTROY this cap

IMG_9717.jpg

I like the look of these centre caps. Makes it look complete. Looks like Macabre's steelies.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Legal for another 6 months 8)

Managed to get a WOF yet again.

Final got a clock for my wagon. With the addition of the Sapporo cluster, ive been without a clock. As little as it seems, it sux without one. A BIG thanks to 'all round GC' Fuel for donating and delivering the parts!

Any way, before and after pics

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432-1.jpg

Yawn...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First off, I would like to thank those that have chosen my wagon to be nominated for two awards.

Even though I have no show against the others, im so happy that my lil wagon crossed the judges minds.

Bit of a stink update.

Finally fixed the oil psi gauge issue with a brand new sender.

The gauge use to sky rocket to the max when the engine's not running.

P1050631.jpg

Now with the sender unit fitted the gauge remains at the bottom untill the engine is started. Not sure if its reading high or not but its working. Now its actually dependable.

P1050633.jpg

So now all the gauges are working as they should. Happy.

Also picked up some extractors off trademe. Dont really need em but may use them if I decide to rebuild.

Would look sweet if I was running the twin carb setup.

P1050635.jpg

Rebuild is looking more and more necessary every day. BLUE SMOKE! :doubt:

Parting picture by Taryn

_MG_8140.jpg

• 7 months later...

Acquired a 4G63 with twin carbs.

20121118_160508.jpg

20121118_155308.jpg

I sold my last set of twin carbs as they were incomplete and didnt really have a plan for them.

These carbs are ready to go. May try to slap them on my current engine for shits 'n' gigs for a bit.

I have other plans in the mix and will show the world shortly.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I noticed my car was getting harder and harder to shift gears the last few weeks.

I had maxed the adjustment on the cable, then i made a spacer to get even more travel, till something collapsed and then I had no clutch at all. My poor synchros.

Pulled the gearbox off expecting to find a poked pressure plate. Pplate was good.

Pulled the pplate off to check clutch plate. Clutch plate good.

Looked at the clutch fork and release bearing face. Good.

By this stage I enlisted some help from my cousin (brake and clutch man)

He looked at the pedal box, clutch and pressure plate, cable, etc. Good.

Wasnt till he pulled the release bearing off the box when we found this.

IMG_1533.jpg

The clutch fork faces had collapsed. My cousin had never seen this happen.

Luckily I brought a brand new replacement a month ago for no real reason. Reassembled the car and I now has clutch.

Parting Pic

Its sad when the two cars you own are both sitting on axle stands!

IMG_1532.jpg

• 1 month later...