Essex V6 Questions

74capri

Just a few questions about the Essex v6. so I brought a bare engine and have been bolting on the parts.

From what I have read it says that the engine is balanced, so does that mean a flywheel of another engine will make it unbalanced?

Cheers Shayne

Ideally it should have been balanced without the flywheel . usually they balance the motor , then attach a balanced flywheel and front pulley, then a pressure plate  . Idea being that if any of these components need replaced later  all that is needed is to fit a new balanced item and everything is balanced . If they balance the whole plot as an assembly  changing one component later would require re-balancing the whole plot again. There is an exception  and that is if the front pulley and /or the flywheel have counter weights built into them  for balance purposes , this is known as an externally balanced ( flywheel and pulley with counter weights outside the motor ) internally balanced  means all the counter weights are on the crankshaft  and the flywheel and front pulley are  just essentially a rotor  which is balanced in it own self ............ :) guess Im leading up to saying  I don't know weather an Essex V6 is externally or internally balanced :study:

Just been googling  and it would seem that the Essex motor is externally balanced  so you would need to fit the correct unmodified  flywheel. .

I googled " Essex V6 balancing " .  some of the pix clearly show counter weight on the flywheel.