Mitchfromhillcrests 87 Vw Golf.

A few years ago it shat out on me.

Various problems arose, one after another, along with discovering alot of the parts i needed were discontinued.

So it was put on the backburner while I came across the blue beauty, white knight and brown beast.

l0ijupbh.iat.jpg
tdeqybgz.3c1.jpg

As yall can see Ive got a thing for golfs, mk1 cabbys are my true weakness though.

Any who, finally decided to get the mk2 running.

Did some tests, most likely did them wrong everytime.  And finally found out my fuel pump was pumping half the flow and psi I needed. Not too bad since it was the factory one from the White Knight from way back in the cold war.
  • Like 1

More and more time went by, did some renovations to the house. Ended up doing the entire house minus the bathroom.

But at the start of winter I knuckled down, bought some CBR900 carbs and got to work.

0nlbhwpn.qms.jpg
llflmdkd.zc5.jpg

Made a manifold. With much frustration. That ali from the original manifold was full of impurities but somehow its leak free as far as I can tell.

tly3cfyd.ry0.jpg

Made this nifty rocker cover out of the useless 2.0l's inlet manifold and a spare rocker cover I had bangin in the shed.

qd45xd4y.kbj.jpg

Trial fit went well. Who needs bonnet clearance when you have a grinder.

ufvumv2x.tky.jpg

Made some type of filter holders. Unsure if they really help, still yet to tune em properly.
But it runs, and my golly gosh does it move. Pretty thirsty on fuel though. Running richer than Ill ever be. 

So fine tuning was in order until i was booked into a wof.   It seemed to have crap airflow since at the time of fitting the carbs I had the stock 16v radiator which takes up the whole front end. So pulled some of my stashed goodies, a mk1 golf radiator and fan which is top mount.Which means no more coolant bubble. Yay!

Also it meant i now have a massive gap in which air can now flow up into the carb intakes....kind of.

So dummied up some "air deflectors"  which Im not too sure will work but hey cold air is better than hot...I think??

y4e4gmkn.hpl.jpg

Since I knew it ran i decided to tidy it up inside the engine bay a bit.
DIdnt want to cut any wires off though because Id like to be able to return it to factory fuel system if i cant get it right.

The finished engine bay looks so much tidier.

Before:
eqg2wkmu.yks.jpg

After:

puydx5vx.ywj.jpg

• Like 1

Bought one of those $19 dollar warrants at some place called CS auto on K drive in Hamilton.

Nice guys, not very good english but recommend if you need a warrant guy that wont pull you up on empty window washer bottles or no spare tire.

So while I wait for my parts to arrive from Qualitat. Alaster that works there is the freaking man. Goes out of his way to help out.

Took my seat out and decided to get it repaired. So off to Midnight Upholstery I went. On a friday afternoon LOL.

The GC that Greg is helped me struggle my way through it. My god was it a different experience to running a CNC or spinning stuff up on a lathe. Hahah.

But got it sorted tonight.

nngzrugj.xw2.jpg
r4uz4kmq.zvb.jpg

Came out pretty damn good and learnt heaps from it. 

• Like 2

So I noticed it felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. Or just feeling highly under powered to what it was when i first put the carbs on.

So had a quick look and noticed a spring missing behind the throttle adjustment/tuning screw thingy. Meaning cylinder 3 and 4 were wide open while 1 and 2 were 3/4 open. It seemed a bit strange that the no 2 carb needed to be maxed out to be anywhere near the no3 and no4 carb. 

The springs i needed.

post-9715-0-62315300-1433661474_thumb.jpg

Got some springs from bunnings and will cut them down and see if it works. Knowing my luck it won't hahah.

Spent some time cleaning this beast up for sale too !

post-9715-0-00908900-1433661070_thumb.jpg

Bleed the brakes today and the fluid was disgusting.

Original suspension back in too.

Adjusted the fuel pressure to 2 psi down from 4 psi.

Put some springs where they were missing.

Warmed it up and gave it a thrash and my god did it pull well. Will now go ahead and make a air fuel ratio reader so i can perfectly tune it.

Off to Jaycar i gooooooo.

• Like 1

IMG_0143.jpg

New bolstered seat. 

IMG_0144.jpg

Current height, 

3 days of ground clearance.

But is warranted.

Ready to sell

And it runs mint. absolutely mint. I think i may have worked out the kinks!

Not bad for some one who followed a very vague internet build guide.

By vague i mean didn't even have the jet sizes or carb model info.

You can spot the rear end of my new diesel too.....

• Like 1