Looseunits 1983 5efte KP60

Looseunit

• 8 months later...

So i'm really slack at updating this.  I basically just raced this all season, didn't really make any changes other than subtle suspension tweaks.  On the very last meet when the air was quite a bit colder that it had been it seemed to pick up power and grip and i was very suprised for the times top drop quite a bit eventually doing a 11.34@121mph.  I was also a bit slack at pressing play on my camera, best in car I got was of a 11.69, I pulled this off facebook so quality is average but I couldnt be bothered going searching for the original file.

So the issues I faced over the offseason were the fact that the body had not liked all the abuse, mainly around the triangulated top link mounts of the body, cracks etc had started to appear and I wasnt really that suprised to be honest.  So I set about welding up the seams around that area and also welding in some plates above the link mounts and running a brace each side from the roll cage down to the plates.  This should hopefully stop the area around there flexing, I also added some welds to the mounts underneath the car just in case.

Other problem was in the pics below, the car squats hard on the right rear side and picks up in the front left meaning its always hitting the left rear tire harder, to compensate i wound the right rear coilover up heaps which got the car going straight but theres definately still improvements to be had.

12496168_784350035034752_637704999974600

12991046_1045045738923213_34673893537161

So to stop that happening, and to also stop the car ever going around a corner ever again i ordered one of these http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Drag-Race-Anti-Roll-Bars/3125600/10002/-1 a drag specific solid sway bar.  These seem to be standard equipment in any decently setup drag car and in theory will stop any twist in the body and hopefully if setup right will improve 60 fts.  Ive pretty much finished putting it in, it was an absolute mission to fit due to the lack of space and it wasnt the funnest of jobs but you get the gist of whats going on with it in the pics.

20161021_093007_zpsy7b4doee.jpg

20161006_085054_zpsv9go7adg.jpg

Ive also bought some convo pro 15x4 and some mickey thompson front runners as Ive also bought some 24.5x8 Mickey thompson ET Drag for the rear.  The plan is to drill the rims for bead screws to stop them spinning on the rim as the radials were moving a little bit on the rim last season.  Thats a job thats still yet to be done and im not really looking forward to it as it will be fiddly.

20160901_203404_zpsgkbuw6y0.jpg

Finally ive just had it on the dyno yesterday, Ive made the switch to E85 and also changed the turbo to a newer tech Turbonetics TNX30/52 which I sourced through Barry.  Along with a billet compressor wheel it also has a V band exhaust housing which is just a hundred time better than the nissan flanged housing that was on it.  Was hoping for more power and better spool and it did not disappoint.  Old setup went 280hp on 18 psi and the turbo was clearly not happy running out of puff at 7k rpm.  New turbo and e85 combo yesterday made 297hp at 14 psi! and 345hp on the final power run at 20 psi, its also on boost around 500rpm sooner so is a massive improvement.  If it can hook up and stay together on the high boost setting it will be rather rapid, should make for an interesting drive thats for sure.

Red line is the old setup.

14670626_10154670962379721_5370407559103

• Like 8