razza128's 1974 Fiat 128 coupe

razza128

Hi all, this might be a short build, but I love the oldschool site, it's everything that's right in the world, and so wanted to share my rebuild.

I have an ongoing issue with a 1974 Fiat 128 Coupe. I've had it 15 years now, built once to hoon spec (crashed - dork), then built as race car. Owned it since I was 19. So it's pretty well under my skin and I made a decision about 8 years ago to NEVER sell. And then about three months later, after a lot of fun building it up, I blew the engine up at Manfield.

Two windows in the block; number 4 conrod decided it wanted to go for a walk, it chose every direction at the same time, and made quite an interesting noise. Sort of like someone towing a trailer full of empty filing cabinets down the road, with square wheels..

So I pulled over, had numerous other racers scream at me for leaving a massive oil bath on the racing line at the exit of higgins, took one look at the motor and decided it was time for an OE. Spent a crapload in London (pre- 2008 crash) on shit that wasn't Fiat 128 engine related (cut to wolf of wall st fantasy). Ok it wasn't anything like that, but I still failed to buy hot italian motor bits from the source. Dork again! So I came home without a conrod in sight. 

5 years down the track, it's been under Mum and Dad's place, then in a storage unit, and finally in desperation on an industrial estate. But now is the time to do a new motor and resurrect it.

Old motor was a 1300 Fiat sohc high comp motor (13.5:1). Cast Iron rods obviously let me down at a pretty optimistic 9krpm.... (but hey they didn't let go at 8, so..)

The fiat sohc is a massively oversquare rev happy motor. 1300 has a 55.5mm stroke. This time I'm going for a "long" stroke 1600; bore is the same 87mm, stroke is 64.7mm. Was getting 1:26/27 manfield laps on the 1300. Hoping the extra 300cc will do something.

But really I’m doing this because it is a SUPER fun little lightweight go-kart hoon car, that I hope other people like as much as I do.

I have now sourced a new block, from a 1993 Fiat Punto, in a particularly mongrel afternoon at pick-a-part. I've also uncovered the car and set up a workshop, and ordered the new rods and pistons.

So old and current pics are here.

jfn0dfou.nap.jpg

ay5srcfm.2wt.jpg
efc3yylg.ylm.jpg
ikmwihe2.jkq.jpg
qr2glibx.hlz.jpg
us520y0u.qdy.jpg
ynq5nwkk.1gu.jpg
5rulykju.xcw.jpg
lh0p1sui.pc3.jpg

reb0z0a5.ukp.jpg
ap2qrylb.0zm.jpg