carb tuning

fordcapri1980

timing sounds bit retarded to me 25 thou points gap  set timing at 10 deg static  and try re setting your idle and mixture screws idle should be 1.5 to 2 turns open  mixture around 2.5 to three turns mikture screw is on the bottom plate of the carb on a angle towards cyl 4 idle is on the side linkage

reason i say this had a cortina come in while ago where the owner had be tutuing he had the mixture screw too far open which in turn need the idle winding up to run which then gets the carb open to the progression jets  so ran way way to rich to the point where it would foul the plugs also found the timing was set at about 2 deg which caused it to backfire through the carb wot do your plug look like wet dry black

so its the timing? how do i do this?

first set the points to 25thou then turn the engine over till the rotor is pointing at no1 HT lead

line up crank pulley to 10 deg then turn the distributor first  clockwise a litlte till the points are closed

set up your coil lead so you can see the spark jump to earth turn on your ign  then slowley turn the distributor anti clockwise till the spark occours then tighten the distributor to check if it is right wiggle the rotor a little and the spark should occour.

btw the easy way to check which cyl is no 1 firing if you look at the cam wheel there is a pointer that lines up to a dot in the head right at the 6 o clock position