W50 into gx71?

oldschoolmotors

From what ive seen the Cressida manual gear boxes have been w55/6/7/8 but don't want to waste my w58 bolting it to a 1ge. I would prefer to use my spare cast w50 has any one fitted one up before? any info or advice would be much appreciated also after any conversion parts you may have. Cheers. Also have been told 3tgteu fly wheel bolts up to 1ge so 2tgeu or 3t should also?

I have done this conversion.

You will need a 2T or 3T bell and starter and relocate the starter wiring to the other side, I think the clutch slave swaps sides to (as far as I know the W40 or W50 was never used behind the 1G).

2T or 3T flywheel will fit as well.

Splines are the same as long as you get the later version of the W40 or W50 with the 29mm input and the same gearbox mount as the W55/56/57/58.

The early ones had a 24mm input so it's easy to spot the difference but you can still use them if you get the right clutch plate and out put yoke for the drive shaft, be aware some of the early ones had different gearbox mounts which would need a modified cross member.

Cross member and speedo cable will fit to and in my case the drive shaft from the auto fit as well but that will depend on which box is there now, just check the full length of the box against the manual you will use.

Good luck.

• Like 2