Brock-o-Daves 1974 BMW E3

Pulled the dash cluster out this arvo to fix the non working dash lights and odometer.

I spent 20mins with a multi meter going through wiring to see why it wasnt getting power, I then realised the multimeter I was using didnt work. lol

Fail.

After pulling out the speedo it was pretty obvious why it wasnt working.

IRgWQxP.jpg

The drive gear on the odo that meshes with the worm gear is cracked. A fairly common problem according to the web with not many solutions haha.

Is the speedo units the same through to e12 or nah?

Oi mr bda780 you should 3d print me one.

• Like 1

Okay! Diff swap and then wof.

All the chrome trim is back on, the interior has been all screwed back together and the good condition drivers seat is now in it so I have a single colour interior.

I got a spare speedo to repair mine but the new one was mph and the old one was kph so no go. I just broke out the trusty superglue and after gluing my fingers together, my fingers to the speedo and gluing the meshing speedo gears together so nothing would turn I finally got it to work again. 

I need to take it around to a mates to swap the diff so I might try and go to simons place friday afternoon and use his jack/axle stands etc. Shouldnt take too long :lol:

No pics cos Im useless/its boring.

LSD went in today, no tests unfortunately as I am currently quite angry at the car and didnt feel like getting angrier by breaking something.

Old diff came out in around 20mins

New diff took 4.5 hours to go in 4 times until it was right.

Hah/park and walk away from it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So with the help of Mr Bistro we managed to lower it a little today.

It still looks pretty high but it really isnt hah, still drives niceish but it for sure needs a bit more travel in the front/ slightly stiffer sprang but it will do for the moment.

The back could potentially come down another half coil but loaded with gear for swapmate will even up the rake it has.

GBjuSQt.jpg

Man that door looks grot, I have no monmey to fix it so grot is what I got.

V6k23JN.jpg

I should have taken better pics but meh/shhh pretend you havent seen this and it will be a swapmate surprise.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Soon after that^ I drove it up north so it could live in a nice warm garage while I ignored it for a while. Over the last few days I have been returning the height to standard and sorting out what I thought was going to be a few small items for its upcoming WOF. 

Holy lol. 

The more I started working on it the more scary I found. None of it is unfixable but it means a few things will require temporary fixes just to get by until after I try to take it to Nats. 

This is a super pointless update but I am waiting for some paint to dry and I cbf starting another job so I am just wasting time yup yup.

Here is a pic because threads suck without them

tlD38uF.jpg

EDIT: Also, fuck the fuel system in these things. My evening tonight is going to be spent trying to trouble shoot a 40 year old EFI system. Fun fun fun

Discuss

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Drove home for the weekend and spent some time working on this.

xXHcshM.jpg

Some rust was cut out, some new bit welded in (excuse welding haha) and with a few more weekends doing the same thing it will be ready for paint.

I dont have photos of the other side but it was waaaay worse than below, I just need to weld in a small filler piece to seal it up and then paint it up all nice like.

2GCc1Wv.jpg

Below is basically the last bit to fix, It looks super bad inside the sill from this pic but its not actually that shitty IRL. The previous owner has welded in a 3mm plate in the front edge of the sill that might need to come out depending on how nice I am feeling, it is mostly covered by a piece of stainless trim so I dont really care.

gz0f76x.jpg

Holy Giant shitty pics batman.

Also working on this again made me super happy haha, I really want to drive the piss out of it soooon/dreaming.

I may also need Mr Upholstery/Gregs help once it is on the road for ultimate lushness.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...