Getting flanges cut

Guest Fliboi

Guest Fliboi

HI everyone,

Im at the stage in my bike carb conversion where i need to make my manifold, and i want teh inlet manifold flanges made up for the toyota 18r engine,

HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS??

i initially thought it would be pretty easy, take an existing manifold or gasket, copy it, get it cut out.

but now im told that i need to dick around with autoCAD and supply 3d drawing flies and all that shit, for a simple ~10mm thick plate with a hole in it.

i downloaded cad and tried to have a play with it, assuming it couldnt be too much worse than photoshop which im pretty competent with, but nooooo.. fuck knows how anyone acheives even drawing a square to a pre set dimension.

please help, because i dont want this to end up costing stupid money, when in the end, im quite prepared to just trace my flange on some steel and file the fuck out of it for a few days.

Guest Valiant

ProMetal industries can do the drawing for you for a fee, I'd say Auto bend could too.

High Tech Sheet Metal used to cut profiles based on a scan template, I don't know if they are even still about though.

Your best bet would be to have a ring around on Monday.

Guest Fliboi

i was about to ask how precise they were and then noticed the holes in that piece of steel in from previous jobs, looks very precise!

Guest phib3r_0ptik

If you can do a rough sketch of what it looks like with some dimensions on it I can make a CAD model of it for you if you want mate. You can then send that CAD file to a place that does CNC or water cutting.

• Like 1

Guest Fliboi

that would be amazing man, im very capable of drawing a proper scale drawing with dimensions and everything, i just don't know how to use cad.

Guest eke_zetec_RWD

How sick do you want the manifold to be? What I do is cut the port holes slightly small then bolt it to the head and port match the flange. Then build manifold off that. Means a near perfect fit once welded. Remember it will shrink slightly in length

Guest Fliboi

i had considered port matching.

though what do you mean by Remember it will shrink slightly in length. this sounds like something i need to consider?

currently im just drawing a scale diagram of the flange and inserting dimensions

Guest eke_zetec_RWD

lets say the flange it 400mm long from port 1 to 4, after welding it might be 399.5mm long. just bear that in mind with the port matching

Guest Fliboi

i found some software that would convert a traced line into a cad DXF file, and it seems to have worked pretty well, the lines were a little wonky, but ive spent the last half hour or so cleaning up the lines and it looks pretty good now,

just want to know how i can check the dimensions of it? i was a scan of the manifold trace, so should be perfect. but im not 100% sure.

also phib3r, the dxf file i sent you was really rough compared to what i have now, if youd prefer that one.

Guest Fliboi

sweet as, ill email it tonight when i get home.

i think i can clean it up further too,

for getting things cut, does the cad drawing need to be 3d, or just the template, which ive pretty much got now?

Guest eke_zetec_RWD

should be something like fliboiflange12mmsteel.dxf or .dwg

be very carefull the lines that make up the drawing are complete and have no overlapping or short. easy to do if its a fucked up free hand/mouse drawn shape. its important, you need to zoom in on the joints and check.

nothing worse than a shit drawing and then spending 20mins fixing it for such a small job.