G52 gearbox

Guest mk1scort

Guest mk1scort

Hi there has any one had any experience with g52 Toyota gearboxes? I have one that was free and would like to put it behind a 4age are they weak, the plan is to turbo the engine and was curious as to how it would handle it, the box was from a 5l hilux,cheers Stacy.

Guest mk1scort

I'd love a better box but looking at things from a budget point of view I can't really afford any thing like that, I'm just keen to work with what I've got, the box I have was free and there is really no better price than that, I was just curious as to the strength and if it was a viable option, if it's not then I'll move on to something else cheers for the input

Guest mk1scort

I was intending to graft two together my question still is will this gearbox be up to the task if not then I'll move on to another option I just don't have lots of cash to throw around it's ment to be a budget build cheers

Guest Rookie

Huh, you want to graft a new flange onto the face of a bell housing? That is a bunch of work for no real gain, just save a little harder and by a nite parts bell if you are that keen on a w series. Sure the gear box will be strong enough, but the ratios are up the wack and it will be very unrewarding to drive. Even with your budget I would still get a AZ6, sell the g series to someone with a hilux.

Guest mk1scort

Thanks for that so that makes that gearbox unsuitable for what I'm after but you miss the point of actually making something work and thinking outside the box so to speak, im keen to test my skills and improve them if it fails then its just my time I've lost, thanks for the input cheers

Guest mattscort

Have a go man, if its costing you nothing/next to nothing what have you got to lose? yeah t50 is an allround easier thing to do but who gives a crap. have fun!

Guest Rookie

I totally appreciate that, don't get me wrong, but I have been there, and there are plenty of things on a car that will provide you with those sorts of challenges, and tbh fucking around and spending hundreds of hours on something that can just be bought off the shelf isn't smart business.

Guest HighLUX

People use these boxes behind 1uz V8s and they handle it fine if driven reasonably nicely, should be fine behind a turbo 4age. I have given one abuse behind a 3sge and it was no problem they just dont like shifting nicely at super high revs/so do W series boxes.

Guest mk1scort

Thanks for all the feedback, if I could I'd go straight to a known bolt up option but that's not the case at the moment and if it works how I see it in my mind then sweet but if not oh well not too much lost, I can source a t50 but only when the funds allow and had heard from different people that they were not that strong but if anyone has used one in a higher power application let me know what it was like cheers

make the g52 work. should be able to pretty much direct swap it out for a w5*, box when you get the shits with the ratio's/ have some cash. strength wont be a problem. but you will hate on the ratio's, unless you have a wide powerband. you will find its a big jump from 2nd to 3rd gear. even w55 isn't that great ratio wise, w57/58 is good