Savage's Datsun Sunny B310

Discussion - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34405&p=872215

Iv bought a 1987 Datsun Sunny after "Felix" off here ( my neighbour ) suggested it. Probably to keep me away from the "Boy racer" scene haha.

It came of a guy named Josh, "Mr.mk1" from OS

41628232131576210322931.jpg

Its a mint car, being first manual and all. So far I have only added a new battery but I do have a few plans for her. Not being the most car savvy person I've decided to join the Oldschool community for some advice.

Didn't Pass the WOF the other day. A few problems that I can sort out, But some of the bigger issues would be little bits of rust :(

Anyone got any ideas on who to go that can get these fixed up decently with out leaving me broke? (Only high school student)

• -Rust top of right sill/bottom of right A pillar
    -Rust around rear boot latch mount
    -Align Headlights
    -Headlight dip switch faulty
    -Exhaust leaks & mounts missing
    -Left front wheel bearing loose & rumbly

1010204k.jpg

Thats a bit of rust on the right hand sill, front drivers door. Only about 2mm big ( the hole anyways)

There is also some in the boot too.

1010206q.jpg

That there is the bottom of the boot latch mount. Half the reason this is here (I'm guessing) is because it had previously been rear ended.

So I need a solution to that. I do have the correct paint too.

I will be getting a quote on exhaust leaks tomorrow also. Need this car back on the road as its my daily!!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the extractors all the way back to the tip of the exhaust re-done.

Guys at Muffler Magoo did a good job I think. - See what Felix says when he visits.

Did take slightly longer then what they said but they did clean out the carburetors and a load of advice on things to fix up.

Makes me wish I knew how to weld.

7503913030_75aaecc26c.jpg

As you can see, still looking for some air filters for my carbs.

Since the new extractors and exhaust etc I have noticed that there isn't really any bogging. It accelerates a lot faster and goes way smoother.

"I think it sounds mint, what do ya think?"

"I think it sounds fucking awesome!" - Glenn.

I think I will work on getting a WOF first before I worry about performance issues

Driving happily yesterday and engine just got quiet then stopped. Car continued rolling so I dropped the clutch in 2nd, sounded as if it wanted to start.

Left it in safe spot. Tried starting 3 hours later, nothing. Battery was good, everything seemed good.

Unplugged the tacho wire from the coil. Started first pop.

Logic??

• 1 month later...

Bought some new wheel bearings and installed them.

Did the timing properly, and installed new contact points.

Me and my mate decided it has a hot cam. Maybe Mr.MK1 will know more about this..

The WOF list..

• -Rust top of right sill/bottom of right A pillar
    -Rust around rear boot latch mount
    -Exhaust leaks & mounts missing
    -Left front wheel bearing loose & rumbly
    -Headlight dip switch faulty
    -Align Headlights

Felix dropped round a vacuum and oil pressure gauge. Real GC 8)

Will look at installing these after I get WOF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow, haven't been on here for a while. Cant say I have done much with the car apart from re wiring the radio so it doesn't reset every time you take the key out. ( Remembers Josh telling me that it just always does that - Finally doesnt)

My jimmies are now rested.

Cleared up the interior rear sill not to long ago. Got some custom board and cut to shape.

Although the alternator has gone on me and left me to a rolling stop the other week. Battery completely flat. Charged up battery, and that is now good again.

On the look out for something to fix that up. Got cash haha.